TrueHD output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Darkstar_surfer, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I am still trying to get my head round the whole HD system. I believe that to get any of the new sound formats you will need to hook up the 5.1 pre's between source and amp. Unless you have an HDMI input on your amp and the amp supports the new format.

But since this require the HDMI 1.3 spec that means there are no amps that currently support this.

Then my problem starts as since HD-DVD does not support SACD or DVD-Audio I was planning to keep my SD player which also uses the 5.1 connections. My head hurts.:suicide:

2. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    You don't need HDMI 1.3 or decode support in the AMP for the new formats. If your AMP has HDMI you can use this instead of the 5.1 analogue inputs. The player will decode TrueHD and output multi channel in PCM format.

AVI

3. Darkstar_surfer

Darkstar_surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    OK, so I need a new amp, mine does not have an HDMI input.

4. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    I think the role of the amp as a decoder will be interesting with regard to HD-DVD and advanced authoring. As I understand it the player must decode the movie and mix with other sound streams i.e. menu sounds. In the case of the Tosh it uses a DTS encoder to re-encode the mixed sound sources and push out DTS or PCM.

AVI

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,138
    It simply won't be allowed to act as one - unless it is decoding a downconverted DTS bitstream. HD DVD players have to decode everything inside the player.

6. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064

A change in mindset for many and a source of much confusion me thinks.

AVi

7. EddThompson

EddThompson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    personnaly, aslong as it stays this way and doesnt get confusedm i think its better.

Id rather have just a high quality 5.1 analogue pre amp, and a dvd player that does all the deconding, much like the "old days" with cd players and stereo amps.

My thinking behind this is, i want my amp to be an uncomplicated free of electronic gadgetery, then any whizardry can just be left to the dvd player.

The only issue i can see with this is, it will make dvd players more expensive, and amps less expensive, and most people buy dvd players not amps, so perhaps pcm output is the way to go :rotfl: :rotfl:

edd

8. ian220756

ian220756

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    "You don't need HDMI 1.3 or decode support in the AMP for the new formats. If your AMP has HDMI you can use this instead of the 5.1 analogue inputs. The player will decode TrueHD and output multi channel in PCM format."

Avi,
    I'm no expert but I don't think it's possible to get full true hd through current 1.2 spec hdmi- that was part of the reason for 1.3.I'm pretty sure it down res's to dd5.1 in that instance,unless you output true hd through the 5.1 analogue in's on your amp when you will enjoy full resolution.

As an aside though,having listened to true dolby on phantom of the opera through my denon 3806 I was left largely unmoved,it is better,but the denon aint good enough to exploit the improvement.

9. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    M8

I'm also no expert but I'm pretty sure HDMI 1.3 is not required to support TrueHD output as multi channel PCM in the Tosh. You cannot output via SPDIF/COAX but it's possible via the players HDMI or Phono 5.1 outputs as far as I'm aware.

Any experts comment ?

AVI

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,138
    Avi you are quite correct - you can use the HDMI connection to output as multi-channel PCM. You can also use the 5.1 analogue outputs. If you use optical/coaxial you will get the new soundtracks downmixed to DTS - you will still hear an improvement/differences but it's a second class option.

11. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    Rasczak did you manage to get TrueHD 5.1 via hdmi pcm on your yamaha 2600? I noticed on another thread you say you only had 2.1 and I am thinking about buying either the yamaha 2600 or 2700 if its out when I come to buy and want to make sure it can do it. I looked at the online manual and it certainly seemed to suggest it could.

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,138
    Not at the moment - Ihaven't had much time these last few days to sit down and try and bowl out the problem. I've seen the XA1 working with 5.1 PCM over HDMI though so am confident it's just a setup issue. Using the 5.1 analogue outs at the moment which, to be fair, is excellent.

The RX2600 gets a big :thumbsup: from me - although I got it awhile back now so there may be something bigger and better on the horizon.

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    HDMI 1.1 is all you need for HD DVD to get the best audio qualit (TrueHD).

14. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    Thanks, Denon don't seem to be releaseing a new receiver in this price range this year so yamaha it is. They will be releaseing the 2700 soon which has 1080p pass through and other improvements over the 2600 but they have seriously wacked up the price. I'm not sure the improvements are worth the money. I don't know how the 1700 will compare to the 2600 but they seem to be priced in the same bracket.

It'll be a couple of months until our lounge is done and ready for a new speakers and amp so I have a while to think about it.