True Romance 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Fabulous film and an exceptionally good transfer and renovation via Arrow :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Great news, this is in my top 10 favourite movies of all time, and I watch it every couple of years with a bigger smile each time! Does anyone know if iTunes movies are upgraded with Arrow 4k DV releases? Thx

Great news, this is in my top 10 favourite movies of all time, and I watch it every couple of years with a bigger smile each time! Does anyone know if iTunes movies are upgraded with Arrow 4k DV releases? Thx

I'd not expect Apple to have access to the Arrow renovation. Even if accessing it via Arrow's own streaming service, you're not going to get the 4K renovation.

Great film. I had to purchase the NTSC laserdisc to see it originally as it was banned in the UK

I'd not expect Apple to have access to the Arrow renovation. Even if accessing it via Arrow's own streaming service, you're not going to get the 4K renovation.
Thanks for reply. Apple iTunes certainly have them (Arrow) in their store, remastered/renovated 4K DV releases, for sale and/or rent.

I have also just checked in my library and actually have had quite a few titles that I purchased over the years "upgraded" to the new renovated" versions - I'd never realised a lot of them were Arrow until now, so there's certainly hope with this True Romance release.

Thanks for reply. Apple iTunes certainly have them (Arrow) in their store, remastered/renovated 4K DV releases, for sale and/or rent.

I have also just checked in my library and actually have had quite a few titles that I purchased over the years "upgraded" to the new renovated" versions - I'd never realised a lot of them were Arrow until now, so there's certainly hope with this True Romance release.
I don’t think so unfortunately as it’s a Warner release on iTunes and the previous physical media releases. Arrow have released this version separately.

thanks cas one of my favourite movies,great work by arrow,have watched it twice already.

I don’t think so unfortunately as it’s a Warner release on iTunes and the previous physical media releases. Arrow have released this version separately.
Thanks for the info, I may have to double dip, or whatever the equivalent of buying 7 times is!

whats the difference between the directors cut and theratical version?

About 2 minutes.

The Directors cut is basically the version without some of the violence edited out. You'd be hard pushed to even notice if you didn't know.

Last edited:
The editing of the final shootout in the theatrical cut, is atrocious.

Editing is done post shooting. THe theatrical version is basically cut in order to get a rating and for it to pass muster with the various rating boards it had to be screened to. The cuts made were not at the discretion of the director, hence why you've a director's cut which is in fact an uncut version.

Hermes managed to yet again not deliver and now it’s in no mans land. ARGHHH!
Zavvi should be sending another one, luckily (as always) they managed to have some “last minute extra stock”

love the film to death and had to track down the French Blu Ray for its slightly better picture than the others

Cannot wait to see this again. It’s been a while so hopefully Zavvi and Hermes come through.

Last edited:
......and possibly Val Kilmers second best performance after Tombstone 😂😂😂😂

Thanks as always for the review Cas.
Any idea where I can buy it?

None of the links in the article (maybe they were auto-generated ads?) take you to the correct product.

A quick Google came up with this, but I won't order from HMV again: True Romance Limited Collector's Edition | Blu-ray | Free shipping over £20 | HMV Store

Mate, the first post in Red's thread should help:

No idea why the auto-generated links don't work - they're supposed to pull it off the EAN, but who knows whether that's ever listed properly at their end.

Edit - scratch that, it's possibly because it's specifically the ZAVVI exclusive deluxe ltd. ed. steelbook carved from mahogany, etched in stone, forged in fire, made of paper and tin thingy that was used for the review... which you can only get from Zavvi for like a billion dollars (or about £36 with the discount code)

Another one to add to the list!

The scene between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken is up there with the very best!

Thanks as always for the review Cas.
Any idea where I can buy it?

None of the links in the article (maybe they were auto-generated ads?) take you to the correct product.

A quick Google came up with this, but I won't order from HMV again: True Romance Limited Collector's Edition | Blu-ray | Free shipping over £20 | HMV Store

They have stock here,

This must be white boy's day! I know it's a Tony Scott movie but I always think of True Romance as my favorite Tarantino film. Easily, easily a 10/10. Tell me, am I lying?

I'm gonna go jump in the tub and get all slippery and soapy and then hop in that waterbed and watch X-rated movies 'till you get your ass back in my lovn' arms

Great review as always Cas.
They sure don't make films like this anymore!
This is on my to get list, one of my favorite films of all time.
Coincidentally The Critical Drinker did a Happy Hour of this recently which was an enjoyable listen
(Next month we also get Deep Cover released another 90s favorite
Hopefully you will do a review of that too?)

Tony Scott, directing traffic, count me in. Legend.

Another one to add to the list!

The scene between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken is up there with the very best!
Yeah it’s a pretty special scene and reeks of Tarantino.
This must be white boy's day! I know it's a Tony Scott movie but I always think of True Romance as my favorite Tarantino film. Easily, easily a 10/10. Tell me, am I lying?
Ha! I see what you did there. I’d love continue this conversation, but I have to go buy some cleaning products.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom