1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

True hi defintion plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by haujobbz, Jun 22, 2003.

1. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I was wondering are there any plasmas with native support for hi defintion 1940+1080 resolution i think. My panny is only 852+480 native resolution ,but im wondering will true hi def screens make a difference to the picture when dvd films only use low resolution anyway.

I watched a new fujitsu plasma the other day and its native resolution was 1024+768 and it wasnt as good as my panny which was lower resolution.:zonked:

Also most plasmas support hi def but as you know only in compressed form so what i was thinking of doing was connecting my plasma to my pc and run it at 1940+1080 and then buy the new terminator 2 extreme dvd which includes a hidef dvd version of the film and run it through my pc using windows media 9 which it needs to run and then see the results.:devil:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,984
    True hi-def comes only from true hi-def sources, which do not yet exist (for all practical purposes) outside the US.

However, a good scaler (device that is used to map a source resolution onto a different device resolution) CAN produce the semblance of increased resolution if the device has a higher native resiolution than the source. All digital display devices (LCD TV & PJ, DLP PJ, Plasma TV) have a scaler. Their standards vary. I can't speak for the one you've seen. I can say that the scaler in my Sony VW10HT does a pretty good job, and I gather the VW12 is actually much better. And the scaler in my Samsung LCD TV (1280x720) also does a pretty good job.

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hi,

Samsung have produced a prototype 70" 1920x1080 plasma! Bet you won't see much change from £15000 when they finally appear in the shops. :eek: If you're planning to watch the HD version of T2 you need a very hi-spec PC i.e. 3 GHz processor, 128Mb graphics, 512Mb RAM etc. And then there's all the hassle of getting the licence to play the thing...

Steve

4. haujobbz

haujobbz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    #OH my god 3 gig pc to run t2 hidef, mines only 2gighertz:rolleyes:

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: