True HD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andyturner28, Apr 26, 2007.

1. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guy's.

I am thinking of getting a Tosh HD E1, but have run into a problem. My amp (Pioneer VSX AX3) don't have HDMI and i understand that you can only get True HD via the HDMI port on the E1. Is there such a thing as a HDMI lead with 6 phono plugs which i could then plug into my amp, or any cheap coversion boxes etc, or is the XE1 my only option?

Cheers,

Andy.

2. Sejour

Sejour
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The signal through HDMI is digital, so you couldn't send it into the 6 phono plug inputs on the VSX-AX3 as these are for analog inputs. I'm not aware of any type of conversion box which would contain 6 channels worth of DACs. If one existed, it would likely be quite expensive, otherwise the quality gains from TrueHD would be outweighed by crappy D to A conversion.

The XE1 or an HDMI (with multichannel PCM audio capabilities) equipped amp are your only options.

3. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Unfortunately, no such thing.

HDMI is entirely digital whereas phono connections require analog. Outside of an XE2, best solution until you go to an HDMI receiver would be a Toslink cable -- that will give you 1.5Mbps DTS crosscoded from either DD+ or DD-THD -- the sound is VERY good and a definite step up from normal SD DVD.

4. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks guys. Think i might wait till the XE1 prices come down a bit then, as i have no intention of replacing my amp any time soon and can't justifie the extra cost at the mo.

Cheers,

Andy.

5. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I like your spaniel photo.

When I was a child in Torquay, my family had a cocker named Juva. He's the first pet I ever remember us having (I was 5 or 6) and he was great :)!

6. kgulls

kgulls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Good to see a fellow Torquinion posting on these forums.:) Another benefit of our shared hobby.

7. High_Def DVD

High_Def DVD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Do you have Digital Optical input on the receiver?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Course he does, but he won't get trueHD on it. He'll get 1.5Mbps DTS downmixed, which sounds good, but not as good as THD. Though it has to be said, you'll need to have some nice speakers to hear that.

9. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually she was an Irish Setter, but she dose look a bit like a spaniel in that pic, she was anly about 10 months old at the time. We had to have her put to sleep last year so thought it fitting to have her looking back at me when messing around on here.

Andy.

10. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    That's a shame -- I'm sorry to hear it :(. Irish Setters are a beautiful breed with a very nice temperament.

11. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes she was a top dog, completely mad but that is why we loved her. Bloody hard to train though, it often took half an hour to get her back on the lead as she used to sit in the middle of the field and run away once we got close, thinking it was a game. Bloody hilariouse unless it was pissing down. Worst day of my life when we lost her.