True HD vs DD 5.1

Slider09

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

How much better is True HD audio from Bluray than Dolby Digital 5.1? Is there a huge noticeable difference in quality between the 2?

Thought I had sat my heart on a Sony STR-DH800, but am now thinking is it overkill. The Sony STR-H500 is £150 cheaper. I don't even have a BR player yet, only Sky+HD, Xbox 360 and Wii. I will be getting a BR player in the near future - would I regret it getting a H500?

Thank you.

Hi

How much better is True HD audio from Bluray than Dolby Digital 5.1? Is there a huge noticeable difference in quality between the 2?

Thought I had sat my heart on a Sony STR-DH800, but am now thinking is it overkill. The Sony STR-H500 is £150 cheaper. I don't even have a BR player yet, only Sky+HD, Xbox 360 and Wii. I will be getting a BR player in the near future - would I regret it getting a H500?

Thank you.

No contest :hiya:
Go with the 800 the HD sound will blow you away :cool:

Personally I think the HD audio formats sound much better than the DS/DTS equivalents. However, there are people who do not hear that much of a difference so you may have to listen to both to make your own mind up. One thing is for certain is that if you go for the 500 you will always wonder 'would it sound better on the 800!!!'. Hence you will get the upgrade bug far quicker. So in the end it will end up costing you £150 more and not £150 less!!!!

I agree with martysport, the lossless / master audio formats are noticeably clearer and more immersive with greater discernable frequency range. I would not buy a receiver that did not decode the latest formats or at least have multichannel analogue inputs / hdmi, then you could buy a BD player that decodes HD. That will probably eat up the £150 you saved in the first place.

Don't forget the 800 is 7.1 too :thumbsup:

Wait till you hear a 7.1 DTS MA soundtrack :cool:
It's make DD sound like ye olde stereo :devil:

Don't forget the 800 is 7.1 too :thumbsup:

Wait till you hear a 7.1 DTS MA soundtrack :cool:
It's make DD sound like ye olde stereo :devil:

That's another thing. I very much doubt I will ever use 7.1, only 5.1.

Not really. Are there are movies that actually have 7.1 surround sound?

There are 7.1 movies out there and are becoming more popular.
I have 4 or 5 myself ;)

Even 5.1 stuff played back on a 7.1 system sounds great too, seems more 'envoleping' (if I spelt it right :oops: )

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom