True HD sound with EP30

nick17112

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I have got a pretty basic setup at the moment. have the Toshiba EP30 and a HD tele basically. If I buy the Sony STR DG910 amplifier, will I be able to get True HD Sound.

I am very naive when it comes to things like this. I hear all this thing about PCM but dont know exactly what this means?

What else will I need, a sub and surround speakers? Will this be good enough for a decent setup. I want HD sound to go with my Picture. :)

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Hello.

I have got a pretty basic setup at the moment. have the Toshiba EP30 and a HD tele basically. If I buy the Sony STR DG910 amplifier, will I be able to get True HD Sound.

I am very naive when it comes to things like this. I hear all this thing about PCM but dont know exactly what this means?

What else will I need, a sub and surround speakers? Will this be good enough for a decent setup. I want HD sound to go with my Picture. :)

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

if it will decode the LPCM from the player then yes you will get true-hd &DD+...most blu-ray movies are 5.1 uncompressed LPCM
The amp dose not decode the hd sound formats

jon

Thanks, sorry that has confused me? did you mean NO, I wont need sub and surround? or NO, the Sony STR DG910 cant provide me with HD sound?

If so, what will I need to get HD sound?

NO to first question...most blu-ray movies are 5.1 uncompressed LPCM
The amp dose not decode the hd sound formats

jon

The EP30 is a HD-DVD player!

Back to the OP, the EP30 does do TrueHD, but not via bitstream through HDMI, but the player converts it to LPCM then sends it to an amp to play. It does this via HDMI or via 5.1 analogue inputs.

The amp you have mentioned:
http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...geType=Main&category=HCS+Home+Cinema+Receiver

will take up to 7.1 via LPCM, so getting this and the EP30 and connecting the two via HDMI will mean you can listen to TrueHD in all its gloriousness.

The Sony amp should have no problem with this although of course you will never get HD-DVD mentioned in any of Sony's compatibility listings. :)

The EP30 is a HD-DVD player!

Back to the OP, the EP30 does do TrueHD, but not via bitstream through HDMI, but the player converts it to LPCM then sends it to an amp to play. It does this via HDMI or via 5.1 analogue inputs.

The amp you have mentioned:
http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProd...geType=Main&category=HCS+Home+Cinema+Receiver

will take up to 7.1 via LPCM, so getting this and the EP30 and connecting the two via HDMI will mean you can listen to TrueHD in all its gloriousness.

Thanks for the good info mate! So basically connecting the EP30 to the amp with a HDMi cable, then from amp to TV with HDMI will give me True HD?

How would I connect a sub and other speakers? do these really matter?

I must sound stupid :(

Thanks, sorry that has confused me? did you mean NO, I wont need sub and surround? or NO, the Sony STR DG910 cant provide me with HD sound?

If so, what will I need to get HD sound?[/QUOTE

You will still need a 5.1 speaker package what i am try to find out will the amp take the LPCM over HDMI

Jon

Thanks for the good info mate! So basically connecting the EP30 to the amp with a HDMi cable, then from amp to TV with HDMI will give me True HD?

How would I connect a sub and other speakers? do these really matter?

I must sound stupid :(

Sorry, missed that bit.
Of course you will still need a full set of speakers and subwoofer.

Not sure what your budget is but there are loads of 5.1/7.1 speaker/sub sets around. The Sony site doesn't show a picture of the rear, but it would be similar in style to this (thats the Onkyo 605 by the way):

You can see on the back there, there are loads of posts where you unscrew and push the wires.

Sorry, missed that bit.
Of course you will still need a full set of speakers and subwoofer.

Not sure what your budget is but there are loads of 5.1/7.1 speaker/sub sets around. The Sony site doesn't show a picture of the rear, but it would be similar in style to this:

You can see on the back there, there are loads of posts where you unscrew and push the wires.

Thanks Greg, You have been a good help. So to finalise (hehe), the Sony Amp, a subwoofer, and 5 mini speakers dotted around the room. Would that be a pretty good setup? Or would I need maybe two speakers at the side of the tele? or would the sub and mini's suffice is budget got a bit tight.

If your budget is tight 5 minis and a sub will be fine.

In a standard square/rectangular shaped room you would normally have one speaker under the TV, one left and right of the TV and two at the back of the room.

Anyway, that setup should sound excellent compared to standard TV audio. I can see you are new to Home Cinema, just prepare yourself to never having any money again EVER. :) You will be upgrading for the rest of your life, as the rest of us are stuck with doing!

What speaker/sub set did you have in mind?

ok i have the sony 910 connect to my toshiba e-1 hddvd player via hdmi, you set the tosh to auto in the hdmi settings menu connect to the 910 using hdmi, connect a hdmi from your 910 to your tv, connect a 5.1 speaker set to your sony 910 and when you watch a moveie select true hd and the tosh will decode the audio and send as pcm to the sony,the sony multichannel blue light will come on and it will say pcm 48 letting you know its getting a multichannel pcm input. Now you will be listening to dolby true hd in all its glory although the amp wont say its true hd.

If your budget is tight 5 minis and a sub will be fine.

In a standard square/rectangular shaped room you would normally have one speaker under the TV, one left and right of the TV and two at the back of the room.

Anyway, that setup should sound excellent compared to standard TV audio. I can see you are new to Home Cinema, just prepare yourself to never having any money again EVER. :) You will be upgrading for the rest of your life, as the rest of us are stuck with doing!

Thats great. My room is a good square size, so the sub, one under tv, one either side and two at the back will be perfect. This will sound stupid, but how does an amp work exactly. I know it turns energy from small to large in a way, but how come then the sound coming out of the tele speakers, sub and mini's etc does not distort?

Thats great. My room is a good square size, so the sub, one under tv, one either side and two at the back will be perfect. This will sound stupid, but how does an amp work exactly. I know it turns energy from small to large in a way, but how come then the sound coming out of the tele speakers, sub and mini's etc does not distort?

you wouldnt use sound from the tv, turn your tv volume down and have all your sound coming from your 5.1 speaker set up. It will sound so much better than your tv.

you wouldnt use sound from the tv, turn your tv volume down and have all your sound coming from your 5.1 speaker set up. It will sound so much better than your tv.

Ah thanks :)

Could you guys recommend a good 5.1 speaker set, budget of say £100-150? is this enough? Could probably stretch a bit further. Any links?

Ta for the help guys, sorry I'm a noob, I have really appreciated the advice, clear and easy to understand.

Could you guys recommend a good 5.1 speaker set, budget of say £100-150? is this enough? Could probably stretch a bit further. Any links?

Ta for the help guys, sorry I'm a noob, I have really appreciated the advice, clear and easy to understand.

check out richer sounds website, they have couple of 5.1 sets ranging from £150-£200 which will do the job ok. If iot was me with your budget i would go for the kefs. http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=KEF-KHT1005

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom