• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

True Cost of HD-DVD

shilv

As soon as I saw the 360 HD-DVD drive was available for pre-order I jumped onto the GAME website as fast as my fingers could type and bagged me one which arrived the day before release. Result!:thumbsup:

It was easily justified, £129.99, King Kong and the Remote. Now 7 HD-DVDs later the true cost is beginning to show.

I have a 720p TV and the picture is fantastic - crystal clear, excellent colour and a great depth of field. It annoys me how I've put up with regular DVD for so long.

However, it is all turning sour. Everytime I watch a movie I keep thinking how good the picture is but, at the back of my mind, I can't help thinking what I am missing out on and how much more improved the picture would be on a 1080 set. After only 3 months with my 720p set I am seriously considering swapping it out and replacing it with a 1080 HDTV. You can see what I mean by the 'True Cost of HD-DVD'.

Does anyone else feel the need to jump to 1080 and, if you already have, is the picture that much better compared to the 720p display.

Meusa

I dont specifically think about 1080p but I do constantly wonder what it would be like on a larger TV. I think 32" is too small for me now ;)

D

Dazzlercee

Exactly the same happened to me but after I got Sky HD.

I wondered about 1080 but also thought....I'm sure I could fit a bigger telly in that space.

I am now the proud owner of a Sony 55" SXRD set and the Xbox 360 HD_DVD add-on. Both stunning:smashin:

T800

I had the 1080p feeling a few weeks ago but after reading up on it including the link below I decided to wait. You might have to log in the see the pictures.

They are comparing 720p vs 1080p on a 130" screen:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=767929

Size is more important than 1080 at this stage in the game imo.

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
:rotfl:

Yep, it gets the Upgradeitous into full swing. :smashin:

I'd been chewing over getting a PJ for years... but never actually took the plunge. I once ordered a SP-4805 a few years ago, only the supplier was out of stock, and I never re-ordered. :rolleyes:

Once I saw HD on my 32" 1360 x 768 Tosh, I knew it could do better. So the combination of Xmas (a time to treat yourself... :rolleyes: ) the falling prices of HD PJ's etc got me thinking. :D The final straw was finding out my local shop had one of the models I had been looking at, with a screen, in store, avaliable to pick up in 20 minutes.. :eek:

I slept on it, woke up the next morning, checked I had my Flexible friend, ignored the bills behind the door :D and was back from the shop with a 720 PJ under my arm in just over an hour... By Lunch I had it (initally) set up. :rotfl:
I sat 2.5m away form an 80" screen, salavating :D Absoloutely gob smacked!! :smashin: It takes a lot to make me go WOW!!! But HD on a BIG screen is what I'd been waiting for! :cool:

And I haven't looked back since :thumbsup: HD-DVD is the best excuse to upgrade your screen ever, and if you feel a little underwhelmed watching it on a smaller screen, I promise if you keep that screen for the 'oribble nasty SD TV, and get a HD PJ for your HD-Movies, you'll realise why HD is the best thing to happen to HC since... erm... DVD :D

kamaran

You then forget you will need to buy a new house to put it all in :smashin:

This may lead to divorce cause of your HD obsession :eek:

True cost of HD - Infinite, For everything inbetween there's Mastercard.. :thumbsup:

Ol!ver

:rotfl:

Yep, it gets the Upgradeitous into full swing. :smashin:

I'd been chewing over getting a PJ for years... but never actually took the plunge. I once ordered a SP-4805 a few years ago, only the supplier was out of stock, and I never re-ordered. :rolleyes:

Once I saw HD on my 32" 1360 x 768 Tosh, I knew it could do better. So the combination of Xmas (a time to treat yourself... :rolleyes: ) the falling prices of HD PJ's etc got me thinking. :D The final straw was finding out my local shop had one of the models I had been looking at, with a screen, in store, avaliable to pick up in 20 minutes.. :eek:

I slept on it, woke up the next morning, checked I had my Flexible friend, ignored the bills behind the door :D and was back from the shop with a 720 PJ under my arm in just over an hour... By Lunch I had it (initally) set up. :rotfl:
I sat 2.5m away form an 80" screen, salavating :D Absoloutely gob smacked!! :smashin: It takes a lot to make me go WOW!!! But HD on a BIG screen is what I'd been waiting for! :cool:

And I haven't looked back since :thumbsup: HD-DVD is the best excuse to upgrade your screen ever, and if you feel a little underwhelmed watching it on a smaller screen, I promise if you keep that screen for the 'oribble nasty SD TV, and get a HD PJ for your HD-Movies, you'll realise why HD is the best thing to happen to HC since... erm... DVD :D

I've been tempted by a projector on many occasions. How cheap are decent HD ones these days?

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
I hear where you're coming from. I currently have a SD set, I didn't think I needed to upgrade for at least another 12 months. But with the advent of HD-DVD and BD I may have to revise my plans!

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
I've been tempted by a projector on many occasions. How cheap are decent HD ones these days?

Check out the PJ forum, :D as which model to recommend really seems to depend whats important to you and what you have / need etc etc

Yet certainly avaliable for under a grand with screen. Which when you compare with LCD / Plasma prices is dirt cheap... :clap:

Of course 1080 PJ's are still pretty pricey.. :(

(Richer sounds have the Hitatchi PJ-200 for £700 with a 80" screen, or the PJ-300 (which is erm... cooler 'cos it's black) for £999 with Screen, both are 'pretty good' in my ignorant opinion and both are 720P)

Steve-L

My wife would kill me (seriously) if I stuck up a projector and screen in the living room - I only just got away with the 42" Plasma. Besides that cost me £2500 so it'll be a looong time before I can justify upgrading it. I did shell out on a nice 5.1 Surround System specially for the add-on which bumped up the cost of it considerably though :rolleyes:

T800

My wife would kill me (seriously) if I stuck up a projector and screen in the living room - I only just got away with the 42" Plasma. Besides that cost me £2500 so it'll be a looong time before I can justify upgrading it. I did shell out on a nice 5.1 Surround System specially for the add-on which bumped up the cost of it considerably though :rolleyes:

Having a lot of A/V equipment on display was a concern for me when I got my house, that's why I put as much work into to hiding it as much as possible.

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
And it does look very nice T800, was impressed with the setup you posted on here. :D

Steve, thats the advantage of being single, not only have you got more to spend on yourself :devil: but less people to complain about it! :rotfl:

:( Alas they're probably the only advantages...... :rolleyes:

Steve-L

And it does look very nice T800, was impressed with the setup you posted on here. :D

Yes it does - I especially like the "Media Room" :smashin: Even if I had the projector on the wall like that it wouldn't be enough - would have to be recessed into it or the ceiling so it was invisible to pull it off :( I can see a few changes next time I'm decorating though ;)

Steve, thats the advantage of being single, not only have you got more to spend on yourself :devil: but less people to complain about it! :rotfl:

I dunno, the grass always seems greener on the other side - it has its ups and downs like most things... that's way OT for here though :suicide:

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
Check out the electric trap doors :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ol!ver

I've already told the Girlfriend that when we move in together (next year-ish) i'm having a room with a keypad on that only I can get into :D

If I was to get a PJ it'd be going in my bedroom (!!!) but I have a cupboard bang opposite the wall where the PG would go, so works well. what kind of throw distances are needed? The screen would be about 8 ft away. I'd ask in the PJ forum, but it scares me in there !

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
I'd ask in the PJ forum, but it scares me in there !
:rotfl: :rotfl:

There's a lot of people in there who know a hell of a lot more than me! And Like everywhere, most seem like decent people. :cool:

Use this link http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm to check out various PJ's and their throw ratio's / screen sizes etc... :smashin:

I've got a Throw distance of about 7.5Ft and a 80" screen, and that's not a full zoom, so providing you do your homework, :rolleyes: :D Then a good size in small room can be found. I'd often thought I'd wait till I moved, (same with actually 'fitting' all my gear properly) but in reality you can now get a big enough picture in 'normal' sized rooms....

Besides, what else is a lounge used for? :D If I want to sit and talk, we use the dining room :rolleyes: Lounges are for Home cinema, and remember wires arn't ugly they are a sign of progress :clap:

J

Jowwns

I've only had a 32" lcd tv for just over two weeks and it's starting to look quite small...:D
Along with the head-fi forums, this place is seriously bad news for your wallet!

T800

I've already told the Girlfriend that when we move in together (next year-ish) i'm having a room with a keypad on that only I can get into :D

If I was to get a PJ it'd be going in my bedroom (!!!) but I have a cupboard bang opposite the wall where the PG would go, so works well. what kind of throw distances are needed? The screen would be about 8 ft away. I'd ask in the PJ forum, but it scares me in there !

From 11 feet my AE900 can throw a 32"ish image to a 130", plenty of range there.

T800

robo989

Banned
I think this threads a load of rubbish :) But thats just me of course....

Every "hobby" has spiraling costs once you really get into it...

Computers, tennis, golf, fishing, football, rugby, audio\video, holidays, partying, prostitutes, murder (years in jail), .....

?

no?

Thats why we work and have jobs....duhhh to fund our never ending lust for the next thing. If we didn't think like that then we'd all be in the jungle living in caves happy as hell smoking crack from cocoa plants, and dead by the age of 20 with 20 kids.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom