True Blacks arn't important!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NickBull, Dec 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Honest, on my Barco Graphics 808s I set the brightness so I get a really nice greay/black, it looks fine and the bright colours more than make up for the deficiency (if you can really call it that).
    Next I'm writting a small program to creat a kind of chicken wire effect on the screen , this will complement the other new program producing a Rainbow effect, for variety!

I did think about taking the Blue CRT and lens and siting it in a shoe box to make it a bit more portable, but I think that I might compromise PQ too much!

Yours

Jo King

2. larsan

larsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, then you could make a rez on your HCPC that has both horizontal and vertical interlacing!

/Kid Ding

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    Now Now Boys!, settle down:D

We will have less of this talk, or somebody might take offence.( :( )

In the bulb projectors defence:-

The picture can be totally sharp all over.
    On bright scenes, the picture quality can be fantastic.
    They don't suffer the slight halo effect on light to dark objects. ( But L.C. CRTs don't suffer either).
    They are cheaper to buy from new.
    The wife will accept them.

People know my views on which gives the best overall picture quality, but i won't get involved with bashing bulb projectors!.

If anybody was wondering why i've bothered to stick up for bulb projectors, when i own a CRT?.
    Maybe it's because i'm now so happy with the picture i'm getting. I don't feel the need to put anybody else's down!. :p

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    I went to a Warners Cinema the other week to watch a movie, and noticed that my bulb projector produces a better black than their bulb projector!!

Gary.

5. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    i have a great movie on dvd its called (black mamba coal miners at work ) its only about 1 hour long but it makes a good setup disc :) :) :)

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    don't forget to put a wasp in the box first

7. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sounds absolutely riveting.....

8. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    We lcd owners don't feel the need to defend anything, our lack of size doesn't need to be made up for by size of projector!

9. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    hehe
    i love that ,
    size is not everything .its all about how long you can throw it :) :)

10. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :cool: i like your style guys, i would love a crt but just can`t make it fit:( ,so some of us have to accept either ,no crt= no home cinema,or find another method that will fit ,after looking at crt`s,dlp`s,lcd`s, i can`t find anything as good or upgradable as crt,(still waiting to get a demo of the sony 11HT) so i `aint got anything yet---hoping to get up one morning and magically finding a way to fit a crt:rolleyes:

11. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    i just got my 11ht last night and wow wow wow im impressed.that will do me for another 3 years ,i went to musical images in beckenham and looked at the 10ht and the 11 together im not going to say what i the differance was because what i see out of my eyes in not the same as what other people see ,but i payed the money and im well happy.:) :) :)

12. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  13. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leon thanks for the piccies ,they do look really good,can i be a real pest ?. any chance you could post a picture i could click on to enlarge (maybe your last ones can but wouldn`t with me),i`ve been tryiing to get a demo of the 11ht in glasgow for a while now but nobody has one yet :( keep getting told it`s not much better than the 10HT ??as i said would like a crt,but space AND wife going against it ,so not looking good,seen the sim2 200(rainbow effect visible) and i don`t feel the DM model is worth 6k ,so maybe the 11HT is the way forward for me as well.:) :)
    thanks again Leon

14. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  15. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,783
    Photo's aren't always the best example to use to 'demo' a projector because it doesn't show the true black level.

Having said that, I think that black level can be a relative thing, and to be honest, I think the Sony 10HT or 11HT will give you a blindingly good picture. If it was as bad as some make out, nobody would have bought the 10HT, so Sony wouldn't have made the 11HT. The fact thet they're selling in droves proves the point.

When I first demo'd a Davis DLP alongside a Sony 400Q, I couldn't see a lot of difference. Both looked good to me, and I wasn't aware of any screen door, black level or rainbow effects.

What made me opt for the Davis was the throw - it seemed to give a bigger image from a closer distance, which suited my set-up more.

I was at the cinema recently, and the black level there isn't as good as my DLP, but it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the cinema. I know that space is black, and that's how I perceive it, even if it is dark grey. :)

I'd love a crt too, but when I bought my pj, they were more than double the price as far as I could tell, and far too big and heavy to ceiling mount in my loft. If I move, then I will get a CRT, but until then, I'll stick with my little bulb projector. ;)

Gary.

16. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Leon kinda thought they would enlarge,but never tried to right click them doh !!
    yup gary know what you mean i`m just trying to make sure if i can`t ge a crt (i`m sort of the same as you,live in a converted stable and tv room is upstairs,with lowish camp ceiling) i get the best value for money from another format. I think the technology will `shift ` a lot over the next 3-4 years,but i what one now;) i really want to view an 11HT now --scotlands a wonderful place,but not if you want something quick....:(

17. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  18. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Leon,Funny you should mention them:eek: went in with a crt buff friend(fantastic system)last friday, asked about demos said they could not demo just now as the demo room was in use,enquired about availability of 11 HT,he said he was not sure ,went to ask,comes back,they have 2 in stock.oh good thinks me,when can we demo one,well we cant demo , as the demo room is now used as an office

:confused: ok.ok. can we at least see one then,ok.guy goes into store,comes back 10 secs. later,the store room is really full just now, and they are somewhere at the back,waffle ,waffle waffle................so we look at each other and decide it`s best to leave,somehow it`s not how you would expect a £4,500 sale to go is it ???:mad: :confused:

19. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Somebody to avoid I think.

How do these people continue to trade Do people dem elsewhere and buy from them because they are cheap???

20. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't being entirely serious. I was quite bored at work and I was hoping for some fun comments!

I definately don't want to offend anyone!

I have another plan, Buy an old <ini Cooper, cut off the roof and turn it into a cool convertible.

Take the roof and nail it to the ceiling, it will make a fantastic shelf to place an LCD or DLP projector. It will gibve the impression of a CRT withough all the down sides!

21. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I'm currently working on a mod for the Barco 80x series projectors.
    It involves the sound from the projector. Many people have been concerned at the fan noise.
    Well, I've decided that many people would want an experience much closer to a real cinema projector.

My modification is available now and consists of a small number of 'Top Trumps' cards to stick to the blades of the exhaust fans. Football cards may also be used (although not tested). Normal playing cards are not recommended as many people will assume that you only play with your dad.

The result is a sound wonderfully close to being in an old-style projection room.

Send enquiries to [email protected]

22. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Better still draw little stick people moving slightly between each drawing and watch it through a narrow slit. It might be a bit juddery but hey this is home cinema.

23. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want a real cinema experience get your Wife/Girlfriend to invite a couple of long seen friends round, get them a bit smashed on wine and feed them crisps and sweets, let their kids play in the room, turn on a coupl of lamps next to the screen and sit back and enjoy your latest DVD/Home cinema experience!

To add authenticity, make sure one of the guests has actually seen the film you're watching and encourage her to point out all the best bits before they happen!

You can really enhance the experience by putting on a loud TV in the next room to get authentic sound bleed into the room whilst taping pilows over your expensive centre speaker to get the multiplex muffled dialogue effect!

Don't forget ta charge everyone £5 or £6 for the experience, charge £1.50 per bag of crisps etc.

24. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nick

Remeber to prepare the room beforehand by pouring coke everywhere and thowing chewing gum and popcorn all over the floor.

John

25. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point John, can't believe I forgot the basics.

Also get some youth off the street to be really rude and unhelpful to all your guests!

nick

26. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Don't forget to sit them down, and then play half an hour of dodgey adverts for the local tandori etc. just to take the edge off the anticipation of the movie.

Rob.

27. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    And the word scramble games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.