True Black £38.76 Inc VAT

Krakin

Established Member
Reaction score
Thermalright True Black 120 Heat Pipe Black Nickel Plated Heat Sink £38.76 Inc VAT with free delivery through AVForums.

I bought one of these at the normal price (£42.29 inc vat if it was the heatsink alone in my order) as Scan was the already best cost with AVForums free delivery. It arrived today and what's the first thing I see in my email ? A scanshot showing it with the reduced price presumably as one of the next daily specials, haha typical.

I have to wait to mount mine as I need the computer operational for the next couple of days but I can see what great quality it is so I'm letting the rest of you know about the reduction in price on the best I could find.

link please?

It wasn't possible to give a link, it hadn't been made a deal of the day yet when I posted that as I'd read it in the Scan email I was sent and I was giving a forewarning it was coming anytime now. They now have it up as deal of the day though strangely at £39.94 and not the price in the email.

This is the deal of the day link which lets you buy it at the deal price for as long as it remains valid, or go to the AVForums free postage link and then to the Scan site deal of the day page and scroll down to it which is what i'd do myself, and don't forget you need to buy a fan too. I bought this one.

You might have to buy something else for free postage too, I don't recall if Avforums free post is for over £20 orders or £50. It says differently depending on which page you look at. My order was over £50 as I didn't have the reduction so it didn't matter.

This is the link to the Thermalright True Black 120 Heat Pipe Black Nickel Plated Heat Sink S775/AM2 (all) page but you can't buy it at the cheap price using that link, it's just to take a look at it.

Last edited:
bit expensive and no fan so another expense

thanks for the links but think i will give it a pass and get a scythe cooler when i have the money

The Scythe Ninja is a good cheaper alternative which does come with a nice quiet fan. I didn't like the way it uses the standard Intel securing system though. You can get seperate bolting kits, it's the postage that kills it though if you want to buy them in seperate places. The ninja is a few quid cheaper at Ebuyer than Scan for instance, but the bolt kit isn't sold at ebuyer.

The total without postage for the Ninja II with a 775 kit at Scan would be roughly £34 at the moment.

though im after AM2

though im after AM2

Doubt you'll need it then, my old style ninja came with a very good backplate but just in case they've stopped including them on the version 2 as a cost cutting exercise so they can include that very nice fan there are AM2 bolt kits like this one:
Thermalright AM2 Bolt-Thru-Kit Converts Ultra-90, Ultra120, HR-01 for Socket AM2 Motherboards

I'm not so enthusiastic about these bolt kits since fitting one. It does make a lot of difference to the temperature on a 775 socket over the standard Intel pop in plastic things, but the way the backplate only stays on while it's screwed in means you can't remove the heatsink again without taking the motherboard out completely. If you tried the backplate would just fall off. On my old style Scythe Ninja which was for a 939 motherboard it took immense pressure to get it clipped in but the backplate that came with it wouldn't fall off due to the fitting so you could more easily redo or upgrade the heatsink compound. The fitting held it firmly and it came with a peel off glue fitting which was a bit of overkill and not needed at all. In fact if you did use it then it was practically impossible to get the thing off again when you wanted to move it to another computer as I found out the hard way.

The bolt kit really was needed for the Intel 775 socket but I wish they'd had something that made it not rely totally on the spring loaded screws. Rubber grommets might have done the trick. For an AMD2 I suggest you check out the reviews, if they supply a backplate with the new Ninja forget the kit.

ok thanks

im trying to avoid a backplate as dont to want to take the mobo out but thanks for your help

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom