True 3D Movies List....

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone seen one in their travels, or if you know of any 3D movies then please list....

I will try and add to the list as people reply...

True 3D
Monsters and Aliens
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs
A Christmas Carol
Coraline
Shrek 4
How to train your dragon
UP
Toy Story 3
Beowulf
Tron: Legacy

Converted (2D to 3D)
Alice in Wonderland
Clash of the Titans
Streetdance
Piranah 3D
Toy Story
Toy Story 2

Last edited:
Didn't see them but what about

Clash of the Titans
Streetdance
Shrek 4

Clash of the Titans was converted 'to 3D'.

The new 3D TV technology actually makes the up-converts look good. Alice In Wonderland is part of the Sony 3D TV showcase, and I thought it looked very good. So don't worry too much about the 2D conversions, since anaglyph has been abandoned there is a lot of potential in the 2D versions.

Can you edit your first post into 2 list one for those filmed in 3D and those converted from 2D.

Also what about older films with the red and blue glasses such as the Vincent Price one House of Wax and The Mask etc. And Friday the 13th 3D and Jaws3D

One to add to the list is Piranha 3D

Can you edit your first post into 2 list one for those filmed in 3D and those converted from 2D.

Also what about older films with the red and blue glasses such as the Vincent Price one House of Wax and The Mask etc. And Friday the 13th 3D and Jaws3D

One to add to the list is Piranha 3D

Done, I'm not 100% sure if I'm right with the 2d/3d conversions but I'm sure someone will correct me.

Can't say I have a problem with the converted films, at the momemt it just seems to be an easy target for the anti-3D brigade. I thought Alice in Wonderland was still pretty good and fun to watch in 3D.

At the end of the day you'll have lazy conversion and then you'll have carefully considered conversion. It's just another tool to use and it'll come down to the skill of the filmmaker as to whether it's applied succesfully.

Alexandre Aja director of piranha 3D defending the technique:

I was very, very skeptical about the 3-D conversion, because it felt so unnatural to create 3-D when it's flat at the beginning. And I saw a lot of demo reels, like some of the James Cameron "Titanic" conversion scenes, some of "Star Wars," and 20 minutes of Peter Jackson's "King Kong" fully converted into 3-D, and that was simply the best 3-D I've ever seen. Period."

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there is anything wrong with them either, but I believe its the 2D to 3D conversions that give you the motion sickness/headaches that some people experience.

It's never affected me :cool:

You should also add Beowulf to your list. That was the first feature length film I saw in 3D and it's still one of my favourites. Zemeckis knows how to use 3D, the bits in A Christmas Carol when you're flying through old London, pure brilliance.

Has anyone actually seen the TV's convert standard television to 3D yet? The Sony can do it, but I haven't seen it. I wonder what it looks like?

Clash of the titans was terrible in 3D, I couldn't even tell the difference and 3D didn't even add any excitement to it all.

It's never affected me :cool:

You should also add Beowulf to your list. That was the first feature length film I saw in 3D and it's still one of my favourites. Zemeckis knows how to use 3D, the bits in A Christmas Carol when you're flying through old London, pure brilliance.

A Christmas Carol was the first film I ever saw in 3D. That part your talking about is amazing.

Was Beowulf only converted to 3D? That was the first film I saw in 3D and still my favourite!

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince had the first 20-30 minutes in 3D when I saw it at the IMAX in London.

Edit: Just noticed the post above says almost the same about Beowulf!

Last edited:
Beowulf was made for 3D. It might be a different technique to Cameron's, but it should still be classed as 'true 3D'.

I've added it to the 3D section now, but isnt Beowulf one of those red/blue 3D movies ?

I've added it to the 3D section now, but isnt Beowulf one of those red/blue 3D movies ?

You're joking right?

This is a pretty comprehensive list of 3D movies that use the RealD projection technology which is the most widely used in cinemas.

I'm fairly sure that The Polar Express was the first feature length 3D movie, although it isn't shown on the list because it was only released in IMAX3D.

The motion capture technique that Robert Zemeckis uses lends itself to 3D, as he's working from the original 3D source - (all he has to do is position a second camera within the computers 3D model inorder to achieve the left eye/right eye image). I notice you've put both Toy Story's into the 'converted' list but these should also be considered 'true'.

You're joking right?

This is a pretty comprehensive list of 3D movies that use the RealD projection technology which is the most widely used in cinemas.

I'm fairly sure that The Polar Express was the first feature length 3D movie, although it isn't shown on the list because it was only released in IMAX3D.

The motion capture technique that Robert Zemeckis uses lends itself to 3D, as he's working from the original 3D source - (all he has to do is position a second camera within the computers 3D model inorder to achieve the left eye/right eye image). I notice you've put both Toy Story's into the 'converted' list but these should also be considered 'true'.

Relax a bit dude, I wasnt stating anything, just asking a question hence the question mark. This is why I want a list as its good to know whats what. Thanks for the wiki list, there's a lot on there and will update the 1st post later tonight.

sorry didn't mean to sound rude :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom