true 16:9 widescreen mode?

toadoftoadhall

Novice Member
the way that tellys are going, ie all widescreen, your films will look weird in a few years time if they are not ws, so yes, I guess thats the way to go,

toad

Hal_loe

Novice Member
toadoftoadhall said:
the way that tellys are going, ie all widescreen, your films will look weird in a few years time if they are not ws, so yes, I guess thats the way to go,

toad
They won't look weird. They won't stop WS TV's displaying 4:3 pictures just like that.

All current widescreen TV's are capable of showing 4:3 pictures with black bars on the left and right of the screen.

toadoftoadhall

Novice Member
well yes, they do show a 4:3 picture with bars, but dont you think that looks weird? I have a 29inch 4:3 tv and a 4:3 picture looks great. I also have a 28in w/s and on that the 4:3 picture looks like you are liooking at a portable tv picture, tiny compared to what a full w/s picture would be.

looking towards the future, go for a w/s capable camera...

Hal_loe

Novice Member
toadoftoadhall said:
looking towards the future, go for a w/s capable camera...
Problem is getting the spec for the camera to prove it is true widescreen. Many just crop the picture top and bottom to make it widescreen!!

I wouldn't be surprised if the only true widescreen cameras are the HD ones.

toadoftoadhall

Novice Member
Canon advertise theirs as " true widescreen ".
Think also the latest Sony cams are true WS too.

But as you say, some of them sort of chop off the top and bottom.

toad

redsox_mark

Novice Member
The problem is there doesn’t seem to be a consistent definition of what “true widescreen” means, and how manufacturers use the term.

Just about any modern camcorder can shoot in 16:9 format – and it will fill your 16:9 screen, with no black bars, and without having the picture distorted by stretching it. “True” widescreen means this is done with the same number of horizontal lines as with 4:3, retaining the full 720x576 PAL resolution.

A camcorder which is not true widescreen will not use all of the CCD, and thus you will lose resolution (quality). But this is not obvious looking at the picture, unless you have a good eye and can notice the drop in quality, or have equipment to measure it (like they do at camcorderinfo.com). This site is a good reference to see which of the camcorders that claim they are “true” widescreen really are. The Canon models tend to be true widescreen.

rhubarbe

Banned
Yes, I've read their blithe aqssurances on that matter, too. Just go and read their review of the Canon Optura 600. True widescreen, my as5e.

Top Bottom