1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

True 16:9 on a budget

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jamiebgp, Feb 23, 2001.

1. jamiebgp

jamiebgp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as i can see, after demonstrations with both the NEC vt440 and the Sanyo PLV30(both very good good in my humble opinon) I'm going to have to settle for a 4:3 screen with a 16:9 image in the middle. Does anyone know of a budget machine that can offer up a true 16:9 image so i can have a cinema screen in my room as opposed to a giant 4:3 TV?

Many Thanx

2. Lars Hanssen

Lars Hanssen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently, the only 16:9 projektor in production is the sony vpl-w10HT, and it costs well over twice as much as the two projectors you mention. The only other option would be a used sony vpl-w400Q, which also sported a 16:9 panel.
    If you use only anamorphic widescreen movies, you could use a ISCO lens, which expands your 4:3 picture to 16:9. You can then use all your pixels, and thereby, given the same picture size, achieve an increase in both resolution and brightness.
    Since You have seen both the sanyo and the NEC, how do they compare in colour, blacks, contrast and overall picture quality?

Greetings

Lars

3. jamiebgp

jamiebgp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Saw both projectors in the comfort of own home, unfortunatly the demonstrator was a bit of a plum and only bought a tiny screen (3ft x 3ft). Ended up screening onto my front room wall. Not the best testing material, but this was the best i could get. I would have loved to have seen the two of these under better surroundings, but unless i wanted to travel to Scotland, there doesn't seem to be anyone else offering up demos. In regards to pic quality both were very good, the Sanyo seemed to edge slightly ahead for sharpness though. Color and contrast looked as good as they were going to projected on to a slightly cream wall so no real comment there although even on my wall they both looked better than the Tosh MT1 i saw demo'd at Hi spek (Useless bunch of cretins). Still no true blacks though. My main reason for viewing was to decide between these or the Toshiba 56" rear Pro TV, so sorry for the lack of details. I haven't seen any reviews for either of these models but everyone does seem to rave about the Sanyo. My only conclusion is i still haven't made up my mind, the spec and price is almost the same on both models 400:1 contast etc... but more lumens on the NEC 1100 as opposed to 500 i think.

anyway thanks for your help maybe a third party is required to sort this one out, or HCC should run a test between these two budget beasts.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think with LCD projectors the contrast ratio is the important thing.

If it has a contrast ratio of 400:1 it will give a sharp image and decent black levels.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is another solution!

The Hitachi CP-S220 (and hopefully the new CP-S220 CinemaVision) has a nifty trick up its sleeve!

Although it is basically a 4:3 LCD projector it has a 16:9 fudge mode which will project a "squished" image onto a 16:9 screen (ie same width as 4:3 but reduced height), which is great for anamophic DVD & dig sat images, but makes everybody in Eastenders look like Western Sumoan rugby players. When you want to watch 4:3 images it can reduce the image to fit within the height of the 16:9 screen (ie the black borders are to the sides with the images in the middle). This is great if your main viewings are widescreen images with occasional 4:3 images, like me, as you can have a permanent 16:9 screen instead if a 4:3 one.

Have a look here for a better explanation than mine http://www.medium.de/en/whatsnew_text.cfm?ID=130

Add this to the fact that this machine can throw a 62" 4:3 image (57" 16:9) from only 1.5m, has <32db fan noise, is ceiling mountable, is very small & light and is only £1620+vat it must be worth looking at! The only down sides I can see is a poor contrast ratio and no component inputs, but maybe the new CinemaVision out in March will address these?

Meat

6. polo

polo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can you buy the ISCO lens and how much does it cost can any one help

7. Jinxybbc

Jinxybbc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As Lars states you could use the Sony VPL-400
    A demo model would cost you about £2500 great value for money and good piture quality.

------------------

8. Lars Hanssen

Lars Hanssen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I had a demo of the Sanyo PLV30 on friday at stereo stereo. WOW! for a two grand projector it is unbeatable. I really liked it. I have the Toshiba MT1 and they are in the same class. The sanyo has better blacks/contrast the Toshiba has better colours/brighter/vibrancy. The Toshiba will be better with darker grey screens due to the vibrancy/brightness of the picture. But watching the sanyo on a stewart 130 white screen it didn't really need a grey screen!. I would chose the sanyo over my tosh for two reasons. First its cheaper!, second if it looks that good on a white screen it should look fantastic on a greyhawk! (mind you the greyhawk is nearly as dear as the projector). Both projectors show image structure but handle black and white scenes very cleanly. I have mine set up with a 4.3 screen and don't mind the image in the middle. I was going to go for a 16.9 but 2.35/1 films would still be in the middle!. On the fan noise front the sanyo is slightly noisier than the tosh, the sanyo's fan pitch was more annoying than the actual noise level. But neither fans would spoil things.The CRT Gordon shown me was an older Sony projector but i could see the point of going CRT if you have the money/space.It was using a scaler/doubler etc. The picture was very smooth/natural in other words - Filmatic. Also it's the first time i have seen a CRT with spot on convergence, when i say spot on i mean spot on!. Gordons the man who can!!!.....Paul

------------------
    I'am not drinking anymore....but i'am not drinking any less

10. Dino

Dino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    see my posting above.
    Regards Dino