Troy - are you scared?

Gary D

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i found out the other day that Troy is a warner bros release - does this mean the DVD will be awful?

I was really looking forward to the DVD but i'm not sure now!!

Gary

Well expect a bare bones dvd follwed by a delux version-directors uncut version 3 months later

Why so optomistic it's Columbia/Tristar that rip you off like that, Warner just give you a bare bones version and that's it.

Look at the 3 Matrix films as examples does anyone really expect better versions in the future? They shun DTS and don't even give you the DD EX mix. They must make loads of money off DVD why don't they put any effort in?

Warners usually give you great looking discs (( albeit only Dolby sound as they don't support DTS )) they also usually give you directors commentaries and lots of decent extras and don't do multiple releases within 6 months of the original release, in fact Warners are one of the better manufacturers out there.

You are thinking of Columbia.

With regards the Matrix films, its already been silently announced that you can expect a great boxset with lots of extras and probably this xmas or sometime early next year.

Its possible because of the budget of Troy that overseas, perhaps Japan might have a different distributor than Warners and thus DTS sound might become an option.

Warner have been one of the better studios since DVDs launch. The video and audio are usually very good.

I think Joel $ilver is to blame for the Matrix DVDs. He thinks we'd understand the Matrix better if we bought the individual DVDs, the DVD trilogy boxset, the soundtrack, the animatrix, the game , a mouse mat, t-shirt and a keyring.

Most of the extras on DVDs are pap anyway with the exception of the extended LOTR DVDs.

I don't want to see interviews where every member of the cast and crew are thinks each other are wonderful human beings. It would make a nice change if they'd say, " the directors a complete tw*t.!!!!".

Unfortunately, that's what most DVDs are filled with, Made for TV making of..'s that tell you nothing.

correct me if im wrong but TWISTER is a warner movie and thats been on a dts dvd

Warners experimented with DTS, they ditched it.

Twister and Lethal Weapon's and Interview With The Vampire.

Originally posted by Jonny1973
Warner have been one of the better studios since DVDs launch.

Disagree strongly with that - for me WB are just about bottom of the list. They have so many great films - Blade Runner, 2001:ASO (in fact all the Kubrick films), Batman etc - and they are all totally lousy releases...

Originally posted by grey torq
Look at the 3 Matrix films as examples

WB totally screwed fans with The Matrix - it has already been released on DVD several times (The Collector's Box Set, The Gold Edition, Matrix Revisited, The Matrix Revisited Twin Pack, The Matrix Revisited Deluxe Box Set) plus we still have a trilogy boxset to come, and there still hasn't been a definitive release... :thumbsdow

I agree, WB are not that great and many of their titles lack value and special features. Universal and Fox are by far the best studios when it comes to DVD.

Does anyone know why WB ditched DTS? Surely they know that DTS is the fans choice of sound (generalisation I know, but lots of people equate DTS = better sound)?

That said, I suppose sound fanatics are probably in the minority % of people who buy an average DVD...

Top Studio on DVD is New Line.... :smashin:

I strongly dislike fox.

Them and Disney seem to be the winkers that always put trailers on the dvd. Not to mention fox's "not for rental" copyright notice, that they FRICKIN read out and takes seemingly 10 minutes to finish.

How patronising! :mad:

Phew :zonked:

Well i reckon they are all as bad as each other- what with releasing special, delux editions as soon as the standard editions out, and then some of them delete the delux editions ala--disney.
Its a money making market but i do wish they would treat us with some respect-if they are going to do numerous versions of the latest movies then at least tell us before we buy the standard editions.(new line excluded-they make the special editions worthwhile)
Not so bothered about movies which came on dvd first and are the re-leased since many need new editions and came out before dvd became big
So hurry up warners and get heat and goodfellas special editions out quick.

I agree with a lot of what has been said - none of them are "perfect" but some are a lot better than others...

I agree about New Line being very good (region one only), but Ironically they are, or were, part of Warner Bros!

Some of the absolute best DVD releases have been the region one "Vista Series" from Buena Vista (Disney).

All in all I would have to go with Fox as number 1 though :smashin:

The post was origonally about Troy and the point I meant to make was that all major studios would be expected to give you the movie and a DD 5.1 mix, this is exactly what you'll get from Warner but rarely anything more.

Most DVD fans on these forums would like a movie such as Troy to receive similar treatment as LOTR or Gladiator, with Warner this is unlikely unless they radically change their policies towards DVD, which is a shame but hey I'd love to proved wrong so lets wait and see.

Memories are short.

It wasn't that long ago we had a major issue with Fox and their DVD's at the time of the Titanic affair.

Originally posted by grey torq
Most DVD fans on these forums would like a movie such as Troy to receive similar treatment as LOTR or Gladiator, with Warner this is unlikely unless they radically change their policies towards DVD, which is a shame but hey I'd love to proved wrong so lets wait and see.

I didn't care for the extras on Gladiator. It felt like they bought in a documentary about gladiators and dropped cast interviews into it.

Lord of the Rings was such a gamble ($300m) by New Line that they had to milk it, because they thought they had a turkey on their hands. Also they knew they were making cinema history by shooting 3 films back-to-back-to-back.

Maybe, if Troy is a critical and box office smash, Warner might up the budget for the DVD.

I remember Fox saying they would never touch DVD as it would soon faze out (How True they were :clown: )

Think the best bet with Troy is catch it at your local UCI and hope it is showing with Sonys super SDDS sound :smashin:

Originally posted by General Skanky
Memories are short.

It wasn't that long ago we had a major issue with Fox and their DVD's at the time of the Titanic affair.

Don't remember that at all... not really all that interested in Titanic though (wasn't it a joint release with Paramount anyway)

Overall I would definitely rate Fox as the best quality releases :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom