• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Troubleshooting Rotel RA-820

H

heikie

I have searched the forums for posts on troubleshooting amplifiers and couldn't find any suggestions for my old integrated amp.

Recently, I brought my old RA-820 out of attic storage and hooked it to a pair of Paridigm 5se and the amp powered on and produces audio to the left channel only. This is using CD, Tuner and Phono sources. I swapped the left and right speakers and cables and I changed all of the 4 internal fuses. Still only left audio.

If I turn the balance knob to the right there is no sound until I shut the power off and the source audio comes on briefly and then shuts off. It is like it is getting power via a discharge.

As I look at the speakers that were returned by my sister with the amp a couple of years ago, she had borrowed it for a while, the foam on the drivers has dis-integrated(cheap speakers). Not sure if the speakers were overdriven or if the foam just rotted away. The amp was in a box inside a sealed plastic bag.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had some tips on troubleshooting / diagnosing a problem like this. Any how-to websites would be great.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom