Troubleshooting front left and right audio level issues with Denon AVR-X2400H in 3.1 configuration

pburleson

Novice Member
I have a Denon AVR-X2400H setup with L/C/R speakers and have been having a lot of trouble with audio level mix between left and right and the center channel.

Setup:
AVR-X2400H
AppleTV 4K
LG OLED TV
Left/Right: Pioneer SP-B522-LR
Center: Boston Acoustics CRC7

Frequently the left and right channels will be significantly quieter than the center channel when it feels like they shouldn’t be. This typically happens when the primary audio of the scene has moved from the center channel to the left and right channels.

The most extreme example I have is “My Little Pony: Equestria Girls” ( My Little Pony: Equestria Girls on Apple TV ) where a song starts at 42:59. The audio is almost inaudible coming out of the Left and Right speakers. I also find that I have to constantly adjust the volume for the Harry Potter movies as well. They go from incredibly quite when audio isn’t primarily aimed at the center channel, but turning it up to hear that means ear splitting volume for the center channel.

I don’t *think* it‘s the audio mix.

I’ve done Audyssey setup and enable or disabling it has no effect. The left and right speakers just seem like they are always under volume.

I’ve been trying to think of further ways to troubleshoot this issue. Anyone have any ideas or run into similar issues?

Thanks,
Patrick

pburleson

Novice Member
One thing I was wondering about is that the Boston Acoustics speaker is 8 Ohms whereas the Pioneer speakers are 6 Ohms. Although, from my understanding of impedance, I would expect to have the opposite issue than I’m seeing.

two2midnight

Distinguished Member
I have a Denon AVR-X2400H setup with L/C/R speakers and have been having a lot of trouble with audio level mix between left and right and the center channel.

Setup:
AVR-X2400H
AppleTV 4K
LG OLED TV
Left/Right: Pioneer SP-B522-LR
Center: Boston Acoustics CRC7

Frequently the left and right channels will be significantly quieter than the center channel when it feels like they shouldn’t be. This typically happens when the primary audio of the scene has moved from the center channel to the left and right channels.

The most extreme example I have is “My Little Pony: Equestria Girls” ( My Little Pony: Equestria Girls on Apple TV ) where a song starts at 42:59. The audio is almost inaudible coming out of the Left and Right speakers. I also find that I have to constantly adjust the volume for the Harry Potter movies as well. They go from incredibly quite when audio isn’t primarily aimed at the center channel, but turning it up to hear that means ear splitting volume for the center channel.

I don’t *think* it‘s the audio mix.

I’ve done Audyssey setup and enable or disabling it has no effect. The left and right speakers just seem like they are always under volume.

I’ve been trying to think of further ways to troubleshoot this issue. Anyone have any ideas or run into similar issues?

Thanks,
Patrick
What levels has Audyssey set the speakers at?
Do you get the same problem with any other source than the Apple TV?

D

Deleted member 39241

Is this new behaviour, or have you just got the AVR? Is it under warranty?

pburleson

Novice Member
Is this new behaviour, or have you just got the AVR? Is it under warranty?

I know it’s been an issue for a while, but I hadn’t had or taken the time to really investigate it.

I’ve had the AVR for about 3 years now, so definitely no longer under warranty.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom