Trouble with watts & amps etc - Advice please

NIgel, I think he could just connect his leisure battery straight to the Lighter socket is that correct? or would he be better using something like this that balances the power transfer in between the two: ie leisure battery to clip on lighter socket to this lead Jump Start Cigarette Lighter To Cigarette Lighter Leads on eBay (end time 07-Feb-10 10:28:48 GMT) to car lighter socket.

The portable stations have any necessary protection built in to their charging circuits, but I see what you mean about trickle charging, and ditto the solar panel.

Dave

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Ok i understand ..... thanks, i'll look into that.

I suppose on that basis i could use my current power pack/jump starter to connect to 12v socket of car & the crocodile clips from power station to leisure battery ???

Having said that, if i carry a power pack & batteries, i may aswell carry a couple of 85ah leisure batteries & take enough power not to have to worry

Last edited:
I think you may fall foul of a slow trickle charge from the lighter socket going into the jump starter not managing to keep up during the 3-4 hour drive.

We need to know whether the car alternator will just treat the leisure battery as extra cells of the main battery and happily charge it through the Lighter socket or whether it is more complex than that?

Anyone know how it works when you hook up a caravan with full electrics? is there any connection between the two batteries, regulated or otherwise?

Dave

Thanks Nigel. When I were a lad I used to take a 12 V fluorescent light away camping for 3-4 weeks at a time and it was the only thing I used so I'd re-charge the cheap car battery I ran it off when I got home. So this isn't an issue I've come across before, we didn't have these fandangling Archos thingies to worry about then.

Now my kids all have them and I'm thinking of going camping again I'm quite interested myself :)

Dave

I looked at buying one of those emergency starter devices from Argos a couple of years ago, as a simple option for charging my RC plane batteries.
Luckily Argos let me check the manual before buying. The internal battery was stupidly small - 8AH, IIRC. Totally useless.

I wonder if anyone sells a device with a decent battery (40AH) for a reasonable price? I feel that you really need at least 40AH if you want to start the average car.
A device with a big battery (40AH+), 12v and 240v outputs, and built-in 5A AC/DC charger would be useful. Forget the torch and compressor.

Thanks Nigel. When I were a lad I used to take a 12 V fluorescent light away camping for 3-4 weeks at a time and it was the only thing I used so I'd re-charge the cheap car battery I ran it off when I got home. So this isn't an issue I've come across before, we didn't have these fandangling Archos thingies to worry about then.

Now my kids all have them and I'm thinking of going camping again I'm quite interested myself :)

Dave

I hear your what your saying. When we used to go camping it was no more than a torch & a candle so never had to worry aboutg power for anything. I then get a caravan & was spoilt in comparison & got used to the relative luxury :rolleyes: .... Now back to canvas again & doing it without any power just seems a little unnecessary nowadays.

Having said that & checked out various options it does seem the easiest way (apart from electric hook up) is to take enough power with you, as worrying about charging etc without access to a mains plug whilst away seems a lot of grief. For me it will be an 85ah leisure battery, i didnt want to go this route but it does seem the most sensible and it will easily power a media player & light for a week. If i need 2 weeks power it will either be take 2 leisure batteries or hook up & 13w solar panel in a briefcase that should extend my battery by approx 50% (weather permitting) for the power i consume

I looked at buying one of those emergency starter devices from Argos a couple of years ago, as a simple option for charging my RC plane batteries.
Luckily Argos let me check the manual before buying. The internal battery was stupidly small - 8AH, IIRC. Totally useless.

I wonder if anyone sells a device with a decent battery (40AH) for a reasonable price? I feel that you really need at least 40AH if you want to start the average car.
A device with a big battery (40AH+), 12v and 240v outputs, and built-in 5A AC/DC charger would be useful. Forget the torch and compressor.

I have done a fair bit of research with powerpacks & you are spot-on the internal batteries are not big enough on most. 20ah is the biggest more common size but these guys do a 40ah version http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/product_detail.asp?prod=1592 bt you are looking t between £150-£200 to buy.

I appreciate everyone feedback on this thread, no doubt saved me a fortune in the long run :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom