Trouble with parental controls and accounts

Discussion in 'Playstation - PS4 & Vita' started by damian.r.smith, Feb 12, 2014.

1. damian.r.smith

damian.r.smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have started to allow my 5 year old son some limited time at the weekends on the PS3 and PS4 and am struggling with the parental controls and account settings specifically on the PS4.

I want to be able to restrict what he can do on the PS4. The PS3 is less of an issue as he dones't have access to the physical games that are unsuitable. The PS4 however continualy shows on your menu bar the games I have and PSN is also proving quite a popular source for things.

I completely get the restrictions that I can set and they quite nicely hide the game menu graphics for unsuitable games and restrict internet and multiplayer as required. He can therefore only see Lego Marvel for example when I set restrictions up.

Having read and tried and read some more and tried again I cannot seem to get a sub-account setup for him. Despite putting in new email addresses, birthdays that are >18 and <18 it continually tells me it doesn't fulfil the eligibility criteria and won't create a sub-account. Perhaps I don't get the concept of these accounts and I have to do the setting of parental controls every time (not helpful!)

I simply want the PS4 to switch on and ask who should log in. If it is my son then it restricts things, if it is me then I can do whatever i want.

Any ideas short of buying another PS4 for him.

Cheers.

2. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    Don't see why it wouldn't let you create a sub-account, but be wary of that as Sony restrict things rather than allowing parents to. So he won't be able to play games you feel are ok for him to play if you make his age too young.

I would suggest making him a master account and just trust him not to play the games he is not supposed to. Although I'm not sure what kind of parental restrictions are available so you may be able to tailor it to suit you.

I think it's worth trying him out with a master account imo.

3. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,530
    I've created 2 sub accounts now for my son and daughter, as Det says, the age you use is what will be set in concrete for that account and cannot be changed. You can change wallet, chat and friend request privileges though. I actually don't mind the restrictions because they only apply when online and quite frankly, I don't want my son or daughter online playing 18 games with all the pants that can come with it. And TBH, if your lad is 5, I would be cautious about giving him unrestricted access to the world wide web too.

There is an issue for games using Origin, eg, NFS is rated 7, but my son isn't old enough for an origin account, which is a bit arse. However, for offline play, it uses whatever is set on the console, I'm more relaxed about these settings, so it works out well. Although my lad whinges because he can't play the online only Warframe and I won't let him use my profile for that :devil:

4. damian.r.smith

damian.r.smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Toasty and Det, thanks for your replies. For some reason my android tablet Avforum app isn't working and I therefore I haven't replied sooner with an update.

So I finally managed to setup a sub account. It seems that his actual age (5 years) wouldn't work, an over 18 age wouldn't work but a 17 year old aged person worked? Odd.

It is pretty useless though. I can see the settings that deal with PSN spend and online restrictions but I cannot seem to set specific gaming type levels. e.g. as you describe Toasty. The only way is to change these setting each time. Pointless unless your child is the only user. I would have thought a simple login screen for a user was easy to implement and that user had restrictions set by the master (admin) account.

For now at least my son isn't that interested in the 18+ type games but it is a little dissapointing I cannot easily hide the icons from him on the main screen. And PSN downloaded 18+ games are fully open to him unless I mess around with the settings. I doubt many parents would set these before they switch the PS4 off.

5. Lestat_11

Lestat_11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    You can have different logins on the ps4 when I turn my ps 4 on I get pictures and names of every on registered on that ps4 I just pick mine and it loads in my account
    There is a setting that auto logs you in that may be what's happening on your ps4 you can also password restrict your account so they can't just start your account instead of there's