• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Trouble with new laptop/new TV and HDMI

djsubtronic

Novice Member
Hi guys. I hope I am posting in the right section.

I've had my system set up as laptop HDMI -> AV Receiver -> TV for a few years now. This enables me to play audio on my laptop through my amp whether the TV is on or not, and also to use the TV as a second monitor if the TV is on.

My laptop was a Vaio, amp is a Denon AVR-1513, and TV was an old Samsung 720p TV. The configuration worked great, with both my screens at the time being 1366x768. I simply plugged in and it worked.

Last week I got a new laptop (link) with a GTX 980M GPU with a 1080p screen. The amp and TV remained the same, and my HDMI configuration worked just fine.

However, yesterday I got a new Samsung UE48JU6445 and there is where the problems began.

No matter what I do, I cannot use the TV as a secondary monitor at 4K resolution via the amp. If I connect the laptop directly to the TV, it's fine at whatever resolution, but through the amp it refuses to display anything unless I change the nVidia control panel to set the output resolution to 1080i. It doesn't even work at 1080p. This is frustrating, as 1080i is awful and limited to 30Hz.

Following some tutorials online it was suggested to turn on UHD HDMI Colour on the TV. Doing this allows the TV to display only at 1080p (not 4K) but even more annoyingly, the audio doesn't come out through the amp and it doesn't even show up in Windows playback devices. So that's no good either.

From what I can see, the amp supports HDMI 1.4a and supposedly has 3D and 4K support, so I'm really stumped why this doesn't work.

What's also really bizarre, is as soon as I turn the TV on while it's connected to my laptop through the amp, Windows does in fact detect a 4K monitor has been connected, even though the TV sometimes says "resolution not supported" or "no signal".

I have been trying all kinds of things for several hours with no luck.

Basically all I want to do is make the TV work at 4K via my amp just like my old configuration.

As I've exhausted all the options I can think of, I am turning to you guys for help, any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

dante01

Distinguished Member
What are you outputting from the laptop that is encoded with 4K video? Note that although your receiver is able to handle 4K in terms of resolution, it is not able to handle UHD 4K content and predates the HDMI version needed to do so. There's no actual need to scale content up to 4K prior to your TV so simply output it from the laptop at 1080p, pass it through the receiver and let the TV scale it to its panels resolution. It is more than likely an issue relating to the refresh rate you are outputting the video from the laptop that is at the root of your problem? Your receiver will be limited as to the frame rate it can handle in relation to 4K content. Only receivers with HDMI version 2.0 or higher will facilitate the passage of [email protected]/60fps. Try setting the frame rate to 24fps at source. Note that irrespective of this, you will not be able to passthrough native 4K UHD content because of the HDCP 2.2 requirements that your receiver lacks.

Furthermore, there's no mention of the Denon AVR1513 ever having any ability to handle 4K resolutions so not sure why you are so certain it has this ability? Neither the manual or Denon's associated literature mentioned 4K. I believe the AVR-2113 and above were the models to include 4K support the year the AVR1513 was launched? I'd suspect your receiver lacks any ability to handle any resolution above 1080p?

Last edited:

djsubtronic

Novice Member
Hi, thanks for your reply. I read somewhere on What HiFi that it has 4k... but I assume it's wrong, as today the more digging I have done, the more I am sure the Denon doesn't have any kind of 4K support.

As for what content I am trying to play at 4K, I'm not sure what that means, I am just trying to use the TV as a second monitor at 3840 x 2160 resolution, which I have no issue doing if connecting the laptop directly to the TV. So all I really want is the amp to pass through the same signal as if it were directly plugged in. Don't care about upscaling or anything. Then play whatever needs to be played on my laptop, using the TV as the monitor. Would it still need HDCP?

dante01

Distinguished Member
If dealing with non native 4K content then you'd not need HDCP 2.2 compliance, but I'd still suggest your receiver lacks any ability to handle anything more than 1080p. Native UHD 4K content would require HDCP 2.2 compliance and you's only get this with current receivers and with HDMI versio 2.0 and above.

fxv300

yes indeed, you need HDMI2.0 and HDCP2.2 as Dante01 said. I have a similar setup to you but using the SONY STR-DN860 and that works fine.

dante01

Distinguished Member
yes indeed, you need HDMI2.0 and HDCP2.2 as Dante01 said. I have a similar setup to you but using the SONY STR-DN860 and that works fine.

You can passthrough 4K resolution, but not native UHD 4K. If you were to scale lower resolution content up to 4K then you could pass it through some HDMI version 1.4b equipped AV receivers. What you can't do is passthrough [email protected]/60fps or 4K content encoded with HDCP 2.2.

The AVR1513 lacks any ability to handle any 4K content though. THe 2012 DEnon models did include this ability from the 2113 upward. I've a 3313 and this can both scale up to 4K and passthrough 4K, but not native UHD 4K.

djsubtronic

Novice Member
Thanks guys. I decided to try a Yamaha RX-V377 which according to the Yamaha site supports 4K pass-through at up to 60p. But I am still only able to set to a max of 30p - however I think this may be the 10.2Gbps cable that connects from the amp to he TV.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd need a receiver launched this year with HDMI version 2.0 or higher to get true 4K UHD support at 50/60Hz. The RXV377 is last years model and only has HDMI version 1.4. The specs claim support for 4K UHD, but this is not the case because the receiver predated the UHD standards and the receiver hasn't the hardware capabilities to fascilitate compliance with those standards. Besides which, the RXV377 is only rated capable of handling 4K @ 30Hz, 25Hz, 24Hz and not 50 or 60Hz.

Cables do not change and any High Speed category 2 cable can convey 4K video content. There's no such thing as a 4K HDMI cable and all High Speed cables are made to the same specification. You do not need new cables for new HDMI versions or for 4K.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom