• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Trouble with my tv tuner

M

mattwoods01

hi guys,

I have recently bought a Dell XPS 420 with built in TV tuner, I have a 10m male to male coaxial cable to connect to my wall socket and into the back of my computer.
I am having real trouble getting it to pick up any channels, it will pick up 2 channels and they are both terrible quality.
The wall socket works fine with my normal TV, giving a good quality picture.
I like in lancashire, UK.
I do not have sky TV or any extra television services in my room, just the normal 5 channels.
I'm not sure if i have set it up wrongly, here is what i did:

opened windows media centre -> tasks -> settings -> TV -> set up TV signal -> confirm UK as region -> Cable -> Selected no to having a set top box -> selected set up guide listings -> selected yes to do i want to use the TV guide -> entered my post code (PR3...) -> analogue cable line up for UK -> started scan for services -> 100% done, found 2 services -> live TV get 2 channels very bad quality.

I would really appreciate any help or advice to get it up an running...

Thanks

Matt

Tellybelly

Standard Member
My recent experience has been with a Pinnacle 3010ix tv card. I installed it on XP with the software that came with the card and managed to scan the freeview channels in but the quality of the picture was very bad. I thought it must be my ariel (although my LCD produces an excellent Freeview picture with the same ariel).

After searching on the web I found a free download that I installed which after scanning in the channels produce a slightly better picture. Even so I wasn't happy with the picture and put the card on ebay (its still on if you want to bid for it :D)

However at the weekend I installed Vista 34 Ultimate and using media centre I get an excellent picture through the same tv card on all but the bbc channels. (I am currently researching why bbc channals are different).

Anyway what I could have said in a few words is that it might not be your TV tuner it could be the software running it.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom