Trouble shooting help please

athelstan

Established Member
Reaction score
For several months now my computer crashes at varying intervals, usually when playing games such as BC2, Black Ops etc. It is a full BSOD crash and memory dump the computer then fails to re start unless I power off and wait for around half an hour then I can re start. I should also say that even though it doesn't crash in ordinary widows, if I want to do a restart it will not reboot unless I shut down, wait then switch on again.

My PC is a two year old i7 940, 6 gig of ram and a nvidia GTX295 with a coolermaster cosmos case and 850 PSU.

I guess it could be a heat issue, graphics card issue or memory? As far as I can tell all 6gig memory is being recognised by windows. How can I best diagnose the problem please? How can I tell how hot the system is running, especially during a game? How can tell if the graphics card is at fault? Is there a utility or something that I can run which will do this? I have looked on the Internet but all I seem to be able to find are these 'optimise your system' suites which I don't provide the information I really want. Any help would be really appreciated because I am on the verge of skipping the pile of .........

What's the error code when it blue screens?

It does give a long number towards the bottom of the BLue Screen but I haven't yet been quick enough with the pen before the damn thing goes off. I will try to get it all written down on the next crash.

check your memory using memtest first if i were you. then stability test your cpu. infact is it oc'ed? of so revert to stock and test.

Once you work out the cause of the error using Whoscrashed, you can work on it.

Make sure you enable Small Dump file creation too in the advanced system settings.

Computer > Right click properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab > Start Up & Recovery > Settings. In the drop down box, change to write small dump file.

In the past I found Whoscrashed never picked them up without that changed.

OK here is the report created by who crashed? Grateful for a translation guys.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to WhoCrashed HOME EDITION v 3.01
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This program checks for drivers which have been crashing your computer. If your computer has displayed a blue screen of death, suddenly rebooted or shut down then this program will help you find the root cause and possibly a solution.

Whenever a computer suddenly reboots without displaying any notice or blue screen of death, the first thing that is often thought about is a hardware failure. In reality, on Windows most crashes are caused by malfunctioning device drivers and kernel modules. In case of a kernel error, many computers do not show a blue screen unless they are configured for this. Instead these systems suddenly reboot without any notice.

This program will analyze your crash dumps with the single click of a button. It will tell you what drivers are likely to be responsible for crashing your computer. If will report a conclusion which offers suggestions on how to proceed in any situation while the analysis report will display internet links which will help you further troubleshoot any detected problems.

To obtain technical support visit Resplendence Software - Contact and Support Form

To check if an update of this program is available, click here.

Just click the Analyze button for a comprehensible report ...

Home Edition Notice

This version of WhoCrashed is free for use at home only. If you would like to use this software at work or in a commercial environment you should ge the professional edition of WhoCrashed which also allows analysis of crashdumps on remote drives and computers on the network and offers a range of additional features.

Click here for more information on the professional edition.
Click here to buy the the professional edition of WhoCrashed.

System Information (local)

computer name: NOEL-PC
windows version: Windows 7 , 6.1, build: 7600
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 940 @ 2.93GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 6432088064 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1933750272

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 04/05/2011 18:03:09 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050411-32703-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x70740)
Bugcheck code: 0xC5 (0xFFFFF80043257638, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800031FB8ED)
Error: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the system attempted to access invalid memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 04/05/2011 18:03:09 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x41A92)
Bugcheck code: 0xC5 (0xFFFFF80043257638, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800031FB8ED)
Error: DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 270.61
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 270.61
Bug check description: This indicates that the system attempted to access invalid memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 270.61 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL

On Fri 29/04/2011 14:21:50 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042911-26750-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF88043118800, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF800030CE14B)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 26/04/2011 19:21:41 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042611-26828-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA8049981308, 0x0, 0xFFFFF960000B7F93, 0x5)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Sat 23/04/2011 13:57:46 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042311-41593-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xDE (0x2, 0xFFFFF8A0148EF1E0, 0xFFFFF8A0548EF1E1, 0x1AF02D8C0)
Error: POOL_CORRUPTION_IN_FILE_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver has corrupted pool memory that is used for holding pages destined for disk.

Conclusion

5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 270.61 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Did the crashing start to happen when you updated the Nvidia drivers? Did you perform a clean install? Have you tried using earlier driver sets?

Last edited:
Yeah, uninstall your graphics card via device manager.

Reboot.

Let Windows install the graphics card.

Reinstall the latest NVIDIA drivers using the CLEAN install option.

Did the crashing start to happen when you updated the Nvidia drivers? Did you perform a clean install? Have you tried using earlier driver sets?

I have tried to keep the nvidia drivers up to date and it is possible that the crashes started after such an update but I am not sure. I didn't uninstall the existing drivers first, just installed the new ones over the top. Should I not do this? Does a clean install mean uninstalling the existing drivers?

Yeah, uninstall your graphics card via device manager.

Reboot.

Let Windows install the graphics card.

Reinstall the latest NVIDIA drivers using the CLEAN install option.

Right thanks I will do that. Does the driver install programme offer a clean install option then? When you say uninstall graphics card does that mean just uninstall the driver?

Last edited:
There's a check box if I remember right that says clean install which will uninstall then install the drivers. Also, ensure any anti-virus program is switched off.

Driver Installation Hints

I would say Eiren is suggesting uninstalling the card in device panel then rebooting so your system finds the card again.

I am having almost the same problem with the PC which I built recently.

I have noticed that as part of the Nvidia install there is an HD Audio driver; is this necessary if I am using the on-board sound card. Could this be creating a conflict that is causing a problem?

Do you want sound over HDMI? if not then theres no reason to install them.

I did; Bad Company crashed. Crysis seemed okay but when I quit i got another bluescreen.

I think I am going to re-install Win 7.

Question; does it matter what Sata 6GB I use for my SSD? My board has both Intel and Marvell.

Can I piggyback on this thread?

I've had problems (mentioned in the Resurrection of BF2 thread) with random system crashes & BSOD. I've upgraded psu & then alternated individual sticks of RAM in both slots. Whilst running 1 stick I had no issues, I've put both back in & swapped my GPU from a HD5450 to a HD4670 (not the best card I know, but more suited to casual gaming I think). My system has just crashed after playing BF2 for a little while; card temp was about 57c. I got the following report from Whocrashed:
[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]"On Fri 06/05/2011 15:56:38 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050611-21450-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]ntoskrnl.exe[/FONT] (nt+0x80640)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF900828F4B20, 0x0, 0xFFFFF96000141176, 0x2)
Error: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA[/FONT]
product: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Microsoft® Windows® Operating System[/FONT]
company: [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial]Microsoft Corporation[/FONT]
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time."
[/FONT]

The 0x50 code appears to refer to this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff559023(v=vs.85).aspx

Neither thing tells me (as a non-techy type) much at all. Is it likely to be a RAM issue? Windows memory test finds no issues & Windows tells me there are no problems with drivers, RAM or GPU.
Event viewer refers to "//./root/CIMV2" which I also can't find any real info on.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom