1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble projecting perfect 16:9 ratio dimensions with x1/screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jkoc, Mar 16, 2005.

1. jkoc

jkoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey folks,
    couple questions:

1. i just purchased a Da-lite 92" 16:9 Permwall High contrast cinema vision fixed screen and installed it with great ease (so easy to mount!). i'm quite happy with the image on this screen except that near the bottom, there are some ripples due to prolonged state inside package in some wearhouse. i was told that these will even out after a week or two.... i hope so... please advise.

2. secondly, i find it impossible to perfectly project 16:9 dimension on the screen. the x-axis seems to be too long, given that the y-axis is fairly flush with the sides. if i zoom-in to make it smaller, then that leaves the top and bottom to have unprojected areas on the screen. when i had this problem on my previous dalite screen, i though it was because the screen's black masking was painted imprecisely (i had a cheap b-series manual pulldown 4:3 dalite). but now after buying this 840$ (CAD) dalite screen, i expected that the proportions are much more accurate, but i'm still getting this problem. no matter how i adjust the zoom/angles/etc on the projectorr's position, i can NEVER get that perfect (or at least near perfect) 16:9 projection.... i suppose i should do the obvious and measure the aspect ratio of the x1's projected image to see if that itself is actually 16:9... if not, then its obviously the problem of the projector which i cannot fix:( argh... anyone else have this issue? ---

2. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi jkoc. It's not the screen, but the scaler in your projector that is the problem, I'm afraid and nothing short of buying a very expensive scaler (or possibly a HCPC) will sort the problem. It just means that the PJ is not quite scaling the image that is being presented to it by your source (DVD player etc) to the resolution of your PJ correctly. It is very common and most people just live with it.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    My first thought, as you mentioned, was to measure the screen and do a little maths to check the AR.

Usually the DVD menus should fill the 16:9 screen perfectly. The films however are another matter, they seldom fill the screen fully unless you apply some sort of expand/overscan...PJ