Trouble playing AVCHD files on my PS3

MrWalshy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Morning, hope someone on here knows the answer to this one. I've looked through the media guide and can't find an answer.

I've got an AVCHD file that I've copied onto my PS3 and it does seem to recognise it (it plays the preview when you have it highlighted).

I tried playback once and it was stuttering really badly as if it didn't have the processing power to cope. I decided to switch off and back on and not it won't play at all (it still shows the little preview)

If I bring up information on the file (Triangle then 'Information') it says

File Type: MTS
Size: 830MB
Length: 13'25"
Resolution: 1920x1080
Video Codec: AVC 8.0 Mbps
Audio Codec: Dolby Digital 640 kbps

Does anyone know why this might be and is there anything I can do?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for replying.

I connected my External HDD via USB, highlighted the device under the video menu and pressed Triangle and Display All. highlighted the file and then Triangle and selected Copy.

I'm not aware of any interruptions whilst it was copying and it recognises the file because I get the preview? I'm baffled!

Odd, can only think it's a video encoding issue.

What happens if you try and play it back via the external ? I would assume the same thing.

Only other option is to run it through something like tsMuxer and re-encode it.

I've tried playing back on my PC and it works fine. (Well just because my PC is ancient)
I've tried direct from my external HDD too and have the same problem.

Should the PS3 cope easily with bitrate for the video & audio then?

PC's have a lot more codec support than the PS3's do.

Yeah course, playing off the internal HDD, even off external USB, even off the PC via streaming using a wired connection, the PS3 shouldn't struggle with ANY HD bitrate.

I'd run it through tsMuxer or maybe multiAVCHD and see what happens.

I've run through tsMuxer and I seems to affect the audio sync when I save as a .ts file. Otherwise it did play back smoothly. Processing through it as AVCHD didn't make any difference.
MultiAVCHD seems to crash when I load a file!

I've run through tsMuxer and I seems to affect the audio sync when I save as a .ts file. Otherwise it did play back smoothly. Processing through it as AVCHD didn't make any difference.
MultiAVCHD seems to crash when I load a file!

Remember with regards to AVCHD the PS3 only supports up to level 4.1 Run the file through TsMuxer again and you will more then likely find it to be level 5.1 Change it to 4.1 and it will work fine :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom