1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble installing MCE

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by WSB, May 19, 2005.

1. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Okay- I'm now stuck and was wondering if anyone has any pearls of wisdom that can help.

Just put a new hdd, extra mem, sweetspot mce card, super quiet fans, etc in my PC- now the easy bit i think to myself- installing the OS- how wrong could i be(!)

The new 200gig hdd was to be my primary drive and i'm using a 120gb secondery drive. I got MCE and the remote from ebuyer and the install is going fine...install disk one...confirm some settings.....insert disk two....lalala...drifting away thinking how cool my mce is gonna be...."Please insert Windows XP Service Pack 2"....Erm......Erm......i look carefully at the empty platic wrapper that only contained the two discs....so i think...skip it...just run windows update and install all the latest patches at that point...so it finishes the installation.

Restart my machine and i can log in fine but in the start menu- the first point of concern- the internet explorer icon is a question mark-so after investigation...no IE, no Windows Media Player, cant setup a network connection to my router, go to windows update and absolutely nothing happens...well you get my drift....i didnt even bother setting uop the media center bit as i need to download the latest drivers for my graphics card or something as the display at max res on my 32 lcd doesnt look as good as before.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? where do i get the service pack if i cant connect to the internet? Any help is greatly appreciated as all i have now is a 32" 300gig solitaire machine :suicide:

2. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    you need to put the first disk back in when it asks for SP2!!!

it has sp2 on it!

3. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    D'OH(!)

they could just say that in the first place(!)

thanks

4. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It actually asks for "windows xp sp2 DISC 1"
    my emphasis
    It is a bit of bad english, but the product is called (according to the setup routine) "windows xp sp2" (because it si windows xp with sp2 integrated)..and it asks for disc 1 of the product to be inserted.

Dont worry....you are not the first person to be confused...not by a long shot....

5. GazH

GazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Installed MCE last night and was so glad I read this thread yesterday...

Oh, and (if I remember right) it just says 'windows xp sp2' and didn't mention disk 1....

Cheers for the info

Gaz

6. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    yeah- i gave it another go last night and all is now well.

Thanks for the info guys