1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble downloading from camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Wilkies.rl, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Wilkies.rl

Wilkies.rl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have just purchased a Sony DCR-HC19E camcorder and i'm having problems dowmloading the film onto my PC for editing then burning to DVD.
    Have installed a Firewire card into my PC but no matter what software i use i'm dropping about a 1/3 of the frames.

Idon't know what to do next?

PC has a 1.6 Athlon xp and 512 of memory, tryed Nero 6, Ulead moviefactory and Roxio video wave but to no avail.

Hope someone can help me out!

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    couple of questions:

is it a laptop or PC, laptops generally have 5600 rpm hard drives, not fast enough for stable video transfer, if it's a desktop do you have a second hard drive?

if not it is worth installing either an IDE drive or a external firewire, capable of 7200rpm

set this second drive as your capture/scratch disk.

other things to watch, is the tape on SP or LP or EP, for future recordings use only SP, a bit better.

Another thing that springs to mind, did you reccord the footage on your camera, sounds like it may be a DVCAM recording, (though Sonys usually handle these ok, even the cheapies)

check your software is et up for PAL capture as opposed to NTSC capture.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Also try the following:

stop all background programs such as antivirus etc
    disable all power save modes & screensavers
    defragment the HDD

Also make sure that you have loads of spare space on the HDD. DV capture will eat up 1Gb of space for every 4 minutes captured. As the HDD gets full it will slow down and could cause more dropped frames.

Mark.

4. Wilkies.rl

Wilkies.rl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the sugestionns, installed a separate HDD with 8mb cache as slave and use this to store my video clips, so far no problems. Also found that other HDD didn't have DMA available so that could also be the problem.
    Thanks again for the help

5. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Wilkies.rl

Hi, ive got a laptop at 5400 rpm and it is fine for capture, as mentioned above disable all programs before you start. Dropped frames usually means that your hard disk is defragmented before you start. Just do a defrag with the windows program or another and this problems should be gone.

6. pool182

pool182
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same camera and use fireware socket and the supplied photo software to download from the camera to dvd using copy to cd menu but when I play it in dvd recorder nothing happens. There is no option to copy to dvd. Can anyone please help??

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Forget the supplied software. AFAIK it is just for useing the cam as a webcam, to capture still images and create a low quality VCD. To create a good quality DVD you need to use other software such as Movie Maker as part of Windows XP. Use this to capture and edit and then something like Nero to burn the DVD disc. Help with useing Movie Maker can be found at www.papajohn.org

Mark.