TRON: Legacy Blu-ray Review & Comments

Brilliant review!
Have seen the movie 3 times now and it is very much an amazing experience. Great visuals, great music. I think the CG is still a little off, young Jeff Bridges was awful. Very unrealistic facial movement which almost took me out of the movie. Surprised that hasn't been more of a sticking point for others...

Thanks for the comment, yeah I know the CG is far from perfect but I guess I thought it was better to have the younger Jeff bridges than not in terms of the story. And at least technology has come along so far that it can actually be done - even if it'll probably be the best part of a decade before it's seamless.

Movie - 5 - found it quite boring, I can see kids loving it though as there's nothing to stretch the mind as such.

Picture - 9

Sound - 9 - not the best 7.1 experience I have had.

Music - 8. Oddly the CD soundtrack sounds much better through my system than through the film. The way they have put some of the bass of the soundtrack through the LFE doesn't work very well. If you flatten it into stereo (as it does with the CD) the sub and bass are much more coherent and tighter.

Using JVC HD1, Sony STRDB820, Sony BD760, Behringer DCX2496 & Behringer EP4000 for the two 15" AE AV15X subs. EQ'd with REWv5.

casharlow said:
Thanks for the comment, yeah I know the CG is far from perfect but I guess I thought it was better to have the younger Jeff bridges than not in terms of the story. And at least technology has come along so far that it can actually be done - even if it'll probably be the best part of a decade before it's seamless.

Sorry I've taken so long to reply. Yes, I take your point over the technology and necessity for CG in the story, I just think it took me out of the movie a bit. Still, the visuals and great soundtrack always brought me back. And yes, it will be interesting to see what happens when it does become seamless...

Brilliant review!
Have seen the movie 3 times now and it is very much an amazing experience. Great visuals, great music. I think the CG is still a little off, young Jeff Bridges was awful. Very unrealistic facial movement which almost took me out of the movie. Surprised that hasn't been more of a sticking point for others...

CG has a long way to go before being realistic. As you say - it can be offputting. Reminds me of Neo fighting the hundreds of smiths. CG just isn't upto the job of perfectly replicating anything living we know of. If it's anything else ie fantasy\non living then it works ok.

drummerjohn said:
CG has a long way to go before being realistic. As you say - it can be offputting. Reminds me of Neo fighting the hundreds of smiths. CG just isn't upto the job of perfectly replicating anything living we know of. If it's anything else ie fantasy\non living then it works ok.

Absolutely! As proven be avatar. Maybe if they'd made Jeff bridges blue...lol. That bit with the smiths was just silly. Hopefully they'll get it right eventually

Movie - 5 - found it quite boring, I can see kids loving it though as there's nothing to stretch the mind as such.

Picture - 9

Sound - 9 - not the best 7.1 experience I have had.

Music - 8. Oddly the CD soundtrack sounds much better through my system than through the film. The way they have put some of the bass of the soundtrack through the LFE doesn't work very well. If you flatten it into stereo (as it does with the CD) the sub and bass are much more coherent and tighter.

I agree that it doesn't stretch the mind or have you thinking anything other than "wow" over the A&V.

I thought the LFE was awesome and very well-balanced - maybe your settings need a tweak?

Incidentally, what IS the best 7.1 experience you've had? I'm genuinely curious as I find it strange that Hollywood is still so far behind with this way of thinking!

I have to say, that compared to a lot of you on here, I might be one of those 'young-pups' :p that this film is aimed at, I was at -5years when the original was released.

However, I agree with most comments here and in my view this film shows how all the elements of filmmaking can be (should be) combined. I still rate it highly - it is my first BD purchase, as I've only just made the jump with an Oppo 93.

To me this film totally enthralled and captivated me as it was a feast for the senses. Forget about the story line, when there is so much going on, both visually and aurally. Take the scene where Sam is being dressed for the fight the way in which the girls move, the stunning look of The Grid, and the pumping soundtrack authored by Daft Punk made this scene simply superb. The second scene I will use is the nightclub scene - purely fantastic, again, simply because of the way all the elements are combined.

I would almost go as far to say that a lot of this film is art and not just a film, the care that has been taken so that all the elements - sound, visuals, movement have been used, especially in the two aforementioned scenes.

Immersion can come from more than just plot, the sheer way in which the visuals swept me off my feet and the careful way in which the audio elements were blended were what had me on the edge of my seat.

I agree, the story was average and the ending was, uh, different. But I will continue to love this film as a simple popcorn tour de force of beautiful visuals and excellent audio.

That being said, I have my foot firmly in the Love it camp for this film.

Oh and who couldn't love Olivia Wilde in those costumes... :devil:

Last edited:
Tron Legasy - 9/10 - Jesus Help Us...

Tron Legasy - 9/10 - Jesus Help Us...

Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpg

When I got my 4k laser 5 years ago this was the first film I wanted to watch on it thinking it would be the biggest improvement over my old Infocus bulp based projector, but as always in life I never got round to it.

So when the laser came back from a warranty (just) repair I thought I'd give it a go, and I'm glad I did it's absolutely beautiful. I was amazed that after all this time the visuals look better than just about anything else I can think of that I own. I had assumed that the CGI would look ropey after time, and yes a few shots of Jeff Bridges look a bit poor but I hadn't realised the suits were practical effects and all in all it's stunning. I just wish I had it on 4k just for the HDR... I yearn for ink blacks and eye searing highlights.

On that note I bumped over to the HDR calibrated setting on the projector and the glowing suits did look amazing (the Mrs complained it was painful ;-) but the blacks were raised too much to enjoy it.

Cas said:
performances may fluctuate between average and grating, thankfully bolstered by the undisputed talent of Oscar-winner Jeff Bridges; but Legacy remains a tremendous audiovisual trip, boasting outstanding, imaginative visuals and one of the best scores that I have ever come across

Sadly this is the problem with the film, I love the look of it, but some of the performances wind me up to hell and back. I can't stand the lead actor and the profiteer... well I'm sure he had fun hamming it up but I can't bear to watch it.

On reflection Tron Legacy, for my taste, has to be one of the most beautiful and best looking on the projector films I own. On a purely visual level of satisfaction (and going by the entire film's run time, not best scenes) I rate it up there with 2001, Alien, Blade Runner, & Fifth Element, even though content wise it's a... well pale in comparison! Thinking about it, and looking at my list I'd probably only add Princess Mononoke and Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse as films which weren't Scifi, and they're both animation, but each to their own.

When I got my 4k laser 5 years ago this was the first film I wanted to watch on it thinking it would be the biggest improvement over my old Infocus bulp based projector, but as always in life I never got round to it.

So when the laser came back from a warranty (just) repair I thought I'd give it a go, and I'm glad I did it's absolutely beautiful. I was amazed that after all this time the visuals look better than just about anything else I can think of that I own. I had assumed that the CGI would look ropey after time, and yes a few shots of Jeff Bridges look a bit poor but I hadn't realised the suits were practical effects and all in all it's stunning. I just wish I had it on 4k just for the HDR... I yearn for ink blacks and eye searing highlights.

On that note I bumped over to the HDR calibrated setting on the projector and the glowing suits did look amazing (the Mrs complained it was painful ;-) but the blacks were raised too much to enjoy it.

Sadly this is the problem with the film, I love the look of it, but some of the performances wind me up to hell and back. I can't stand the lead actor and the profiteer... well I'm sure he had fun hamming it up but I can't bear to watch it.

On reflection Tron Legacy, for my taste, has to be one of the most beautiful and best looking on the projector films I own. On a purely visual level of satisfaction (and going by the entire film's run time, not best scenes) I rate it up there with 2001, Alien, Blade Runner, & Fifth Element, even though content wise it's a... well pale in comparison! Thinking about it, and looking at my list I'd probably only add Princess Mononoke and Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse as films which weren't Scifi, and they're both animation, but each to their own.
It certainly does look and sound pretty. But give me the original every time as a fun film to watch.

Those with a capable TV try forcing HLG. As it is works out on SDR tone curve, it fairs reasonably well with some nice boost to highlights without blowing anything out.

This and Avatar looked great on my 77A80J with HLG. As always YMMV.

Brought the Special edition soundtrack, and boy it is awesome

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom