Trojan/virus gone?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Flashy, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    Earlier in the week AVG popped up to tell me it'd found a trojan. I moved it to the virus vault and deleted it. A few minutes later, I opened IE7 and had a page looking like a Windows warning screen but clearly not, giving me spyware warnings, click here to fix them, click here to continue surfing, etc.

Then the Windows Firewall popped open to tell me it had blocked something, that may have had a keylogging function, and did I want it to keep on blocking it. Yes, I clicked.

I immediately disconnected from the internet, ran full scans with AVG, Spybot, and Windows Defender, all of which brought up nothing. I even searched the registry for terms such as "keylog" and "trojan", and found nothing.

Reconnected to the internet and everything was normal, and has been ever since – other than me being a little paranoid and using the on-screen keyboard for entering any details which are even vaguely potentially sensitive, rather than typing, which is a bit of a pain.

All I want to know is whether, with all the scans and everything, I'm in the clear, or whether there's anything else I should do before assuming I am.

I'm using Vista Home Premium, if that's of interest/use. Thanks for reading and for any help or advice.

2. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,875
    Hi Flashy

I know how you feel! I had exactly the same series of events and my system said everything was clear. But paranoia kicked in: I backed up my data, formatted the drives and re-installed Windows.

That made me feel much better! I knew then the system was clear. :)

Alan

3. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    I have considered that as the last solution, but was hoping it wouldn't be necessary, purely because of the hassle of backing-up everything.

Does anyone have any suggestions on whether it is necessary, or whether I'm okay?

4. Hillsman

Hillsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I had a similair problem a month or so back and was told about "Trojan Remover"... that worked for me.

Worth a try at the very least?

Simply Super Software - Trojan Remover

5. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    Thanks for the link. I've run the scan and it found nothing malicious, meaning that that one, AVG, CCleaner, Ad-Aware, Spybot and Windows Defender have all been run independently and all turned up nothing bad. Fingers crossed, all is well and will continue to be so.

6. pix1985

pix1985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Messages popping up on your system telling you you have infections when you don't are normally types of smitfraud. try downloading this tool, extracting it and selecting the runthis.bat file. Keep pressing enter to go through all the menus and then just let it run.