Tripod screw snapped with half stuck in the camera - help!

thedude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strap broke and this happened

Attachments

• 1430903357029.jpg
    1430903357029.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 668
Your camera turned upside down? Seriously, cant see anything?

There's a screw broke off in the tripod screw bit

Not keen on drilling it

Not the most helpful of things to do is it

Think so wanted to stick my monopod quick release block on my strap. The strap broke I was like wtf! Ahhh I have to hand carry now

Nothing sticking out! Damn

O sht, if you cant twist it out youll have to tap it out.

Where's he gonna find a pair of Tap shoes at short notice ?

gonna have to tap it out like Twist said I think - get down to Maplin and buy a cheap "Dremmel Copy" and a Tap/Die set

I have a dremmel at home but I'm in Cornwall

Could also try metal Epoxy, put some on the head, some on a bolt or similar and twist it off.

Even with nothing sticking out you could with enough care, chisel a slot just the right size for a screwdriver. Obviously if it's much below the level of the tripod mount, it becomes harder to do and then it probably would have to tapped out.

Even with nothing sticking out you could with enough care, chisel a slot just the right size for a screwdriver. Obviously if it's much below the level of the tripod mount, it becomes harder to do and then it probably would have to tapped out.

Chisel?!!! That would not be good for the camera!

This is the reason I did not buy Black Rapid or similar strap that attaches to the tripod socket. Read too many stories like this.

What you can try is add a drop or two of oil and wait for 20-30 min and then use a fine but strong tweezer and try to unscrew it.

Other option is take it to camera store as they might have tools to fix such issues.

Agreed (chisel !) :eek: - dremmel it at low speed - tap thread and extract

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom