Tripod reccomendations for a Canon XA10

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by MiniMike, Mar 9, 2013.

1. MiniMike

MiniMike
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.

Ive recently bought myself a Canon XA10 for video shoots (interviews/events etc) and im looking for a good tripod to purchase. Something that is sturdy, has a good height (for interviewing) but is quite portable as well.

Any advice would be fantastic.

Cheers.

2. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    For the same cam i have a Velbon D700 and CX540,THE 700 is heavier and is needed for long distance nature work for me especially in wind,the lighter CX540 is ok for certain things,probobly best if you try some in shop there are many makes and models.

3. MiniMike

MiniMike
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Velbon DF-50 tripod already and its ok for my Sony NEX 5 but it isnt great when I put the Canon XA10 on it. This is probably due to the parts not being the highest of quality. I think that I might have to stay away from Velbon as I dont want to have the same issues with another Velbon tripod as I do with the DF-50

4. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Oh i dont know the DF-50 it sounds like my CX540 but i see its about a third of the price i paid for the D-700,A GOOD flued head is best.

5. MiniMike

MiniMike
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah right cool.

Ive been looking at more high-end tripods like the Manfrotto 700RC2 but they are so expensive. I know that you get for what you pay for is true, but im not sure my budget can stretch that far yet. Going to have to work out the monies and see what my budget is exactly.

I could even just buy a Manfrotto head for my Velbon and see how that goes but im worried that it might struggle with anything of high quality due to the fact that the legs on Velbon tripods are not renowned for being the most sturdy and durable.

6. Gramuk

Gramuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I too have that Velbon D-700 and can vouch for it's sturdiness. Solid and with a reasonable fluid head. Bit too heavy for me to lug around for general work - so will be getting hold of some lighter legs and using the fluid head from the Velbon when I'm travelling.

7. rogs

rogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
  8. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Gari14 - welcome . . . .if you are usng the tripod for interviewing, then you don't need a fluid head . . . . and there is a danger the head will make the legs twist, on the stiff settings and this will show on the clips.

Whilst a fluid head is good, it needs to be used on a soild tripod, ideally one that is "matched" and that may suggest some models in the Manfrotto range. Remember that whilst camcorder-kits come and go, a decent tripod is for life. Think of it having a 10 or 20-yr life, whereas camcorders are sometimes a short as 5yr. (before dumped for a newer model).

I too have an NEX5 - are you unable to use this for interviews? I've done several and hardly notice the limitations, indoors or out. (provided you solve the wind-noise problem of the mics.). Also, it might be worth having an adaptor to use a 50mm f1.8 SLR lens (mine's a Nikon), so you can get close to the subject while throwing the backgrout oof [er, I use a variable ND filter], if that's any help. That will give you two cameras; which will improve the "flow" of an interview on Editing.

Good luck - for the Canon, go for the Manf tripod if you can.

9. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Its how we find them,my old D700 is as ols as the hills and and good as new touch wood.

10. MiniMike

MiniMike
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That tripod actually looks really good and something that I would be interested in for sure as it looks very sturdy and would work great with my Canon XA10. Any idea what the size of the tripod is at its smallest point? as my Velbon is 58cm and as I travel quite a lot, at that size, it fits perfectly in my case and anything bigger would mean I would have to buy a new suitcase for it to fit inside.

Thanks.

11. MiniMike

MiniMike
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The biggest problem with Sony cameras (around the time the NEX 5 range was launched) is that fact that you are so limited to using external mics like XLR or boom mics for example due to Sony and their proprietary mounts not being able to use third party mics etc. Because I do a lot of indoor interviews (where the background noise can get very loud) and I need to focus the audio on one subject, the awful mic attached to the NEX 5 was picking up everything at the same time as the subject and it just isnt clear enough audio to be taken seriously.

There are ways around it (like buying an XLR adaptor box like a Beachtec) but still, you are limited to what you can achieve with the camera. I love my NEX 5 for video quality and stills but for interviews etc, its just not flexable enough to do a proper job in my opinion.

12. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Thanks Gari14, - but my own NEX5 has no facility for ext mics (unless you mean that jokey-sony one that mounts on the top, perhaps that's it?) . . . I use the internal mics for interviews both outdoors and in large halls . . . but I make sure the background is as quiet as possible.
    To fix it in noisey situations [Using a solid-state recorder], you will know that close-micing is needed, like a wireless + Tie-clip mic - OR - a shot-gun mic (but these need careful handling, beinig sensitive to handling and the narrow angle can make the audio levels "drift"). Also you really need a sound-assistant with headphones to keep everything together..... er, IMHO.
    + It's then a matter of syncing the SDHC recorder( + ext mic/s) to the vid track, using the on-camera audio as guide.

Do you accept that no panning is req'd for interviews? - so that will save cost of a (real), fluid head which sometimes cost as much as the tripod they're on.

+++ I don't agree the NEX5 has an "awful mic" (Post #11) . . . my internal mics have been fab and pick up just what I want - but I do have a fluffy on board, to eliminate wind-audio. - The only time it fails is in recording loud music (Rock band), where the sound-level is too high . . . . so I used my SDHC recorder with a moving-coil karaoke (vocal) mic which is used to high levels. It seems to record drums OK too, so must be OK at those lower frequencies. Havinh my own headphones on also helps protect my hearing . . . . something we should all consider.
    However, if it was my Businiess, I'd be going for a pro camcorder with the necessary XLR inputs.
    Those Beechteck boxes (I recall) still rely on a 3.5 jack into the DSLR and are not the ideal solution to manual levels - yet a lot better than none! - { However, they are not cheap....}

Good luck . . . you can still use your NEX5 for wide-shots, or placed looking at the side it's good for cutaways. . . . . . but you may need to have a tripod with two-camera stations so they can share on set of legs - even 2ft separation gives a different view.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013