Tripod for Panasonic..?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Shockabuku, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi all. As I'm unable to ceiling mount my projector, I'm looking for a tripod instead. It'll be on top of a fairly low coffee table, and of course needs to be as sturdy as possible (don't want my favourite toy to fall over). In order to avoid keystone as much as possible, I'll probably need a 30-50cm rise. There seem to be billions of the things on the Jessops website, so I'm hoping someone can recommend a good one that'll work with the Panny. Thanks!

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Mark

If you are going the Tripod route I would keep an eye on the Brass boss which the Tripod mount screws into, it only seems to be pushed in. the ceiling boss's are pushed in from inside the casing making them stronger.
    Maybe it would be a good idea to adapt a tripod into using the boss's which are for ceiling mounting.
    Sorry I coudn't recommend one.
    I have a Falcon Tripod bought from Jessops about 5 years ago, it is good quality and is damped, but it is a floor Tripod, maybe they do a table version.
    Wont the Projector be in your face if you mount it on your coffee table?

Good Luck

3. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Thanks for your thoughts Tim. I haven't checked out the mounting point on the Panny, but it sounds well dodgy from your description. I may just stick with my patented modular support for the time being then. It's not ideal having it on the coffee table though...I already have to sit just off to the side. Maybe I'll try persuading the other half again that it really will look jolly nice suspended from the pretty beam in the middle of the bedroom. :( I don't suppose there are any "quick release" type ceiling brackets that can be removed, bracket + projector, nice & easily, just leaving the plate that's bolted to the ceiling? Wishful thinking methinks!

4. CSGardner

CSGardner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Shockabuku,
    It seems we have very similar requirements - I too am hoping that a tripod will work in the short term. (I bought one already from Jessops - a floor standing type). Along with the HMC filter I managed to find, I'll soon have everything you might want ... except for the damned projector!

I also have a Wife Acceptance Factor problem - I'm selling it to her as 'a fully mobile solution - that won't make a mess of your lounge' . I'd love some sort of quick release Ceiling bracket - much as you describe. I might take a closer look at the UNICOL mounts - to see if its a simple BOLT removal will leave just a plate on the roof (which I could paint 'ceiling' colour).

TimH .. how did you manage to sell your wife on the whole 'lump of electronics hanging from the ceiling'... you must be better with women than most !!

Chas

5. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi Chas. Glad I'm not alone in my problems! Maybe if we both look around for a solution & not commit to anything until we've talked, we'll hopefully end up with the best solution available (short of manufacturing a mount ourselves which, I dunno about you, but scares the heck out of me!)

As a matter of interest, where did you get the HMC filter from?

6. CSGardner

CSGardner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've copied this answer I gave in another thread ..

7. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Thanks Chas, that's interesting. I've been told by Jessops that the HMC isn't available in this country.

I'll await the results of the UNICOL investigations with interest!

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Mark and Chas

Have you not thought about adapting one of those wall VCR bracket's thay are pretty cheap, all you would have to do is add a piece of plate to the mounting holes on the bracket, this could then hook onto some good bolt's screwed into to your Beam, thats Marks beam, not sure about your room setup Chas.

luckily my Wife is pretty keen on HC so she doesn't mind it on the ceiling :)
    She wont watch Er anymore unless I fire the PJ up.

9. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hrmmm...interesting thought Tim. Not sure I've seen VCR wall brackets. Similar to those cheapy TV brackets I guess..? Any idea where the best place to get one is?

10. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I know miller brothers sell them, they do in Crewe anyway.
    I have seen some dodgy ceiling brackets on avsforum , even made from wood :eek:

11. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Yeah, that wooden one on AVS scares me! Crack, split, SMASH! :eek: Still, it's more creative than mine so far, so I can't talk. I think we've got a Miller Bros near work here in sunny Reading...I'll check them out. Cheers mate.

12. CSGardner

CSGardner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've looked closer at UNICOL options for mounts .. and there are 2 options.

The best mount is called the GYROLOCK - its black, square section shaft, height (drop) from ceiling of 3" fixed, or 9" to 12" (more if required).
    It can be removed with 2 small (allen) bolts - leaving a plate with short square section tube on ceiling. I don't think repeated removal of this would be great. It might be best left in place - as projector end of mount is designed to come off easily. This would leave (at a minimum) a 3" long quite small bracket. Cost is approx £150 + VAT .. and they do already have a bracket designed for the AE100.

2nd option is the PSU series mounts - which use a (round) tube to hang. Similar small bracket on ceiling - this time with a single bolt to remove - probably better for repeated removal.
    They can make the 'drop' tube any length (though a minimum must apply - not sure how short). However, the projector end of the bracket looks a touch larger in the diagram. Cost is approx £200 + VAT. Don't know if they have built a bracket for the AE100 yet.

I'm tempted to go with the Gyrolock. Neither are cheap though - lets be honest. Perhaps Tim's option is worth review. As I don't yet have my hands on the projector (yes, I'm another in the queue), there is no great rush for me.

By the way - UNICOL are in Oxford - which may mean you can go and have a look if you are not too sure (Mark - I'm assuming that's fairly local to you ?).

Chas

13. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Great stuff. Thanks Chas. They're only about 20 minutes away from me. So....trip to Miller Bros to see cheap solution this week sometime followed by a trip to Unicol at the weekend (assuming they're open on Saturday). I'll contact them & find out.

There's always Plan B, of course...big bunch of flowers, bottle of champagne & a couple of her favourite films on DVD :D

14. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I've just been looking at the PDF document on the Gyroloc. It has a feature called the "Trilock Docking System". Sounds a bit Star Trekkie. Anyways, this is a bracket that screws to the projector, and then simply locks into place on the mount - no screws or anything! That means we could simply twist the projector off the main mount when we're finished with the movie, & then fold the mount upwards so it's more flush with the ceiling. Pretty high GAF (Girlfriend Acceptance Factor) on that one!

If my description is confusing (probably is!) then here's a link to the PDF.

15. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hrmmm...actually, looking a bit closer, I don't think the mounting pole bit will hinge upwards towards the ceiling....so we'd be left with a bit of a tube sticking down. Still, the easy attachment & removal of the pj is a cool thing. I'll stop replying to my own posts now. :D

16. CSGardner

CSGardner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree that the twist bracket remove thing seems like a winner. Now, if they just did it in White (or Dove Grey' .. or something other than BLACK !).
    Perhaps a tin of Hammerite White ...

Chas

17. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Right, I've received an answerphone message from Danny at UNICOL, & he has kindly offered me a trip around the factory to check out the mounting products they have available for the Panasonic. Marvellous! I'll try & arrange a visit for next week sometime. Hopefully, I'll be able to take some digital snaps & report back.

18. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    It was actually *David* at UNICOL...my answerphone sucks. Anyway, I've arrange a factory tour for Friday next week (22nd March). He's also kindly agreed that I can bring along my digital camera so I can get some snaps. If anyone else in the area (Oxford) is interested, I'm sure they wouldn't mind a couple more people coming along.

19. CSGardner

CSGardner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent - I'd be very interested in what you see (photo's would be very cool). Colour is one issue for me - (if you wouldn't mind) please ask their view on painting the mount - I guess hammerite type paint might work well - as long as it doesn't interfere with the screw threads etc.
    I look forward to hearing about the trip.
    Chas

20. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Mark

It might be a good idea to ask them what type of paint they use, is it celulios or maybe white spirit based, then you will know what paint to purchase, if you choose the wrong paint it will react, and go a little messy.
    I look forward to the piccie's.

21. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Okey dokey, I'm making a list of any questions people want answered. Feel free to add some more...

22. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    quote by museumsteve
    check it out mark.

23. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Any updates then?

24. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    No update from me yet...factory visit is this coming Friday. Think I may take advantage of the day off to get another Cyrus Power amp & some Sonus Faber rears that I've needed for a while too :D

Where did museumsteve post that comment? I'd be interested to see a pic of how he's putting it together (I'm not exactly a DIY king).

25. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,053
    FYI.. Panasonic in Japan sell an official tripod for the THAE100 (Japanese name of the PTAE100). So the hole should be sturdy enough.

26. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Probably sturdy enough to be supported the right way up, but suspended from the ceiling by that one thread? Look at what this chap has done here. Now that is scary!

27. Moto

Moto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shockabuku

After deciding i wasn't going to make a projector mount (my DIY sucks) i thought it would be best to try one of unicol's

Ordered it recieved the pro-forma invoice then found out that unicol DO NOT have a bracket for the AE100, they are using the single screw fixing in the center of the panasonic.

They did offer to make a mount utilising the 4 ceiling mount holes but they would have to have my projector to do that, and i ain't letting it go..

Maybe during your tour you could lend them your AE100 to make the mount up whilst you wait? then again it would probably take longer to make the mount.

O well back to trying to find a more suitable solution..

Regards

Andy

28. Shockabuku

Shockabuku

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Very interesting, thanks for the info Andy. I certainly don't like the idea of suspending the pj from that single thread. I'll take mine along & see what they say. I've specified to them which pj I have, and also mentioned that there may well be more people with a similar interest on this forum, so hopefully they'll be keen to provide a good solution.

29. CSGardner

CSGardner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Andy (Moto),
    I've also heard/seen conflicting info from UNICOL ..

on one hand they say (via a distributor) that you need to order the GK0 (with the single screw mount .. BAD news .. though much cheaper)

on the other hand, their web site now show an UPDATE for March, with a specific GAP No. 0234 (thats the projector specific mounting plate) for the Panasonic - that plate being specifc to the AE100.

Did this GAP 0234 come up in the discussions ? .. I wonder iof this is a very recent development, since your order went in ?

Any info would be greatfully received, and hopefully followed up by Mark on the site visit.

Chas

30. CSGardner

CSGardner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Scary Update: Single Point Mount Fell Down

I just re-read the above thread ... and the home made mount (which was very good by the way) did indeed pull the tripod mount clean out .. he found the projector hanging 1 ft from the floor .. by its (fortunately screwed in) VGA cable.

Whats really scary, is that I spoke to my UNICOL supplier again today, and UNICOL were still saying the Gyrolok GK0 (single point mount) is their proposed solution. They say that the GAP No. 0234 plate is for a different type of mount. I'm confused now for sure!

Mark - do please bring this up with UNICOL tomorrow !

Thanks,
    Chas