• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Trip to Budapest

dixiboy2

Novice Member
I've organised a trip to Budapest with the missus. I'm consulting the usual guides etc and 'net reviews but if anyone has been and has any tips for good eateries, how to avoid being conned and so on.
She wants to go there, I offered Rome again 'cos we saw only a bit of it the first time.
Anyway less of the domestic bliss in my life. Lots of do's and don'ts please.
Many thanks:)

dixiboy2

Novice Member
dixiboy2 said:
I've organised a trip to Budapest with the missus. I'm consulting the usual guides etc and 'net reviews but if anyone has been and has any tips for good eateries, how to avoid being conned and so on.
She wants to go there, I offered Rome again 'cos we saw only a bit of it the first time.
Anyway less of the domestic bliss in my life. Lots of do's and don'ts please.
Many thanks:)
If thats the case you'd all better be ready for a Judith Charmers style report when I get back.
Anyway off to Crete at 2pm so its sun, sea and cheap fags for ten days:cool:

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Sorry Dixiboy2, apart from a bit of pleasant sight-seeing I wasn't impressed with Budapest 1 little bit. Found it dirty, unfriendly & pretty dull really.

The cliff-train thing just over the chain bridge is OK, Ice-skating around the chateau on the lake is good if you don't mind handing a very dodgy looking geezer your passport & a £90 deposit for the boots. We found 1 nice restaurant out of about 10 & I have never ever been made so unwelcome in so many bars in my life.

Been to most major & other cities in Europe & this is one I won't bother reccommending, sorry...:(

mjn

Distinguished Member
If you get a taxi, agree on the fare, before you even get in! And haggle if possible, otherwise you could be in for a nasty shock!

SanPedro

Visit the Hotel Gellert

http://www.danubiushotels.com/en/budapest-hotels/danubius-hotel-gellert-budapest

The Mrs would probably appreciate some of this:

http://www.danubiushotels.com/en/spa-wellness-health-hungary

Fabulous grand hotel that has hot spas, outside pool, steam baths, saunas, massage, not that kind tho ;-)

You don't need to be a resident to use the facilities. Went in 2000 and it was really cheap for the day - about £12 from memory. Although it's likely to be more now. But the interior, heated baths and stuff are amazing.

DJT75

Distinguished Member
mjn said:
If you get a taxi, agree on the fare, before you even get in! And haggle if possible, otherwise you could be in for a nasty shock!
Oooo yeah, forgot about this one & know which direction you need to go in by looking at a map first too. The :censored: who we got in with drove completely the opposite direction & around town for ages to whack the price up, although I was pointing out his delibrate mistake the entire journey, he decided he didn't understand me. He received 1/4 of the fare for his troubles.

ps. It's probably far better in the warmer months if you're going soon, I was there in Feb/March & it was dead everywhere...

Barny79

Banned
I went last August, a great city, yeah watch out for the taxis, but apart from that it was great, the spas are superb, restaurants are great, only trouble we had was finding a place serving drinks after 11pm.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Barny79 said:
I went last August, a great city, yeah watch out for the taxis, but apart from that it was great, the spas are superb, restaurants are great, only trouble we had was finding a place serving drinks after 11pm.
Thats strange, we had no issues with finding drinks until 4am!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom