Trip To Amsterdam

woundedDaisy

Established Member
Reaction score
I am currently trying to book a 2 night stay in Amsterdam as a surprise birthday present for the other half

I thought a visit to the famous coffeeshops would be amazing (for him not so much me).

Only thing is I don’t know where the best place to stay is for easy access to them?

Are they everywhere?

Are they all in the City Centre?

Are they near the airport? If not, how do you get from A to B is the transport over there any good i.e. buses, taxis

We will be leaving Edinburgh 18th September returning 20th September.

Quite a small city.

The airport is some distance away so you don't want to stay there.

Best way from the airport is the train.

Travelling around is by foot, tram and a small underground system - or you can use the bicycle hire that are everywhere.

When I stayed there we went for cheap so ended up to the south of the centre. A long walk to the main stuff in the centre but pretty straight forward using trams.

Once in the centre everything is pretty much in walking distance - much more compact than London.

Cheers,

Nigel

I have visited Amsterdam 16 times so far.

A few good places to stay -

Crown Plaza (near central Station)
Golden Tulip (near central Station)
Residence le Coin (near the clock tower)

The missus wants to go to Amsterdam.
I keep telling her, it's one of the most boring places I've ever visited.
Been there three times, through work.
Once you get past the novelty factor of the red light district, or if you're not interested in getting stoned, it's duller than Dundee in February.

Agree totally with Nigel.

Get the train from Schiphol to Centraal Station in Amsterdam, doesn't cost much and is very quick.

Trams are your best method of getting around although if the majority of things you want to see (galleries, coffee shops, Red Light District etc) are in the centre then walking is fine.

My recommendation is find a place near to Leidseplein. It is kind of a hub for Amsterdam with many coffee shops, bars and restaurants and also a good range of shops to look at too.

If you aren't interested in the 'traditional' method of using the coffee shops (as a personal trainer friend of mine wasn't on our last visit) then they also provider food-related methods of 'consumption' should that appeal more.

Amsterdam is truly one of the loveliest cities I have ever visited, have a great time!

Ben

Agree totally with Nigel.

Get the train from Schiphol to Centraal Station in Amsterdam, doesn't cost much and is very quick.

Trams are your best method of getting around although if the majority of things you want to see (galleries, coffee shops, Red Light District etc) are in the centre then walking is fine.

My recommendation is find a place near to Leidseplein. It is kind of a hub for Amsterdam with many coffee shops, bars and restaurants and also a good range of shops to look at too.

If you aren't interested in the 'traditional' method of using the coffee shops (as a personal trainer friend of mine wasn't on our last visit) then they also provider food-related methods of 'consumption' should that appeal more.

Amsterdam is truly one of the loveliest cities I have ever visited, have a great time!

Ben

Yeah, i stayed near the Leidseplein, and i can really reccomend it.

You can walk round Amsterdam in about half an hour, it's much smaller than London's West End.

I could be wrong but I think there is a smoking ban in bars and cafe's just like over here although if the owner serves and has no staff then smoking is permitted via a legal loophole

No tobacco can be smoked indoors only pure joints can be smoked. :devil:

Twenty years ago I would be up for a meet Razor mate
But tablets I am on alongside all the added in crap with modern herbs prevent it these days.... I would be convulsing like a wobbly jelly on the floor

Thats a shame mate as there is nothing like rolling a fat one and chilling. :devil:

I have visited Amsterdam 16 times so far.

A few good places to stay -

Crown Plaza (near central Station)
Golden Tulip (near central Station)
Residence le Coin (near the clock tower)

[SIZE=+1]Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol Hotel is this the one am looking for? [/SIZE]

Yep... a nicer area too :thumbsup:

The only hotel where I've stayed and can remember the name off was The Holland Hotel. It was a small hotel, just across from the Van Gogh museum, and situated on the main shopping street (fashion, not bongs). The tram stopped outside the hotel and you were in the centre in a few minutes.

Cheap clean and cheerful.

[SIZE=+1]Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol Hotel is this the one am looking for? [/SIZE]

That one is at the airport which is a good 20-25min drive to the town centre. Go for the one near Central Station.

Crowne Plaza Hotel AMSTERDAM Hotels | AMSTERDAM CITY CENTRE | Welcome

It is very central and everything is in walking distance. The rooms are modern and clean with room service. Breakfast is normally thrown in the price and I think its either a 4 or 5 star hotel.

There is also an awesome Japanese restaurant 3 mins walk from this hotel on the same side of the road near the small grasshopper which has to be tried out.

Used to always be more about the flavour for me tbh

You would love mango or one of the other fruity varieties. :)

can highly recommend renting an apartment in amsterdam, much more personal space than a hotel and great to have a nice apartment overlooking the streets etc to chill in after a 'hard' day in the dam, cheaper than a pokey hotel room as well

can highly recommend renting an apartment in amsterdam, much more personal space than a hotel and great to have a nice apartment overlooking the streets etc to chill in after a 'hard' day in the dam, cheaper than a pokey hotel room as well

Residence Le Coin is an apartment. The rooms are about 40x40 foot with a
sofa, coffee table, tv, double bed separate small kitchenette and bathroom. :)

Its also slightly cheaper than the Crowne Plaza.

I would get a hotel a little further out near Vondelpark which is a nicer greener area (That still has coffeeshops that are in fact better and cheaper than the ones in the center!) and use the trams or taxi to get into the centre/red light district in the evening.

After a couple of visits the red light district soon looses it's charm and late at night can be a little dodgy with hard drug users/dealers hanging around on the bridges!

A hotel I have used and would recommend is this one..............hotel amsterdam, Acro Hotel, cheap hotels amsterdam, Budget hotel Amsterdam
Very clean and efficient and in a nice quiet area near the Leidseplein and Museums and is easy to get to the Red Light district!

One thing you must do in Amsterdam is have an Indonesian meal! In Holland they're like curry houses are in the UK due to their ex colonisation of Indonesia (Dutch east Indies!)
This one is rated as one of the best in the city....http://www.restaurantbluepepper.com/

The rijsttafel is to die for!

:smashin:

Last edited:
I would get a hotel a little further out near Vondelpark which is a nicer greener area (That still has coffeeshops that are in fact better and cheaper than the ones in the center!) and use the trams or taxi to get into the centre/red light district in the evening.

After a couple of visits the red light district soon looses it's charm and late at night can be a little dodgy with hard drug users/dealers hanging around on the bridges!

A hotel I have used and would recommend is this one..............hotel amsterdam, Acro Hotel, cheap hotels amsterdam, Budget hotel Amsterdam
Very clean and efficient and in a nice quiet area near the Leidseplein and Museums and is easy to get to the Red Light district!

:smashin:

To be honest i dont even want to go near the Red Light bit and am pretty sure the OH doesnt want to go near there either.

Yeah the first time I went I was with my other half and we didnt stick around too late, maybe 11-12ish and it felt a little dodgy. Iv since been with the lads and we were out far later, even in a bigger group of males it felt really dodgy and you honestly get offered all sorts of stuff.

Got a couple of funny stories about some of the locals in the Red Light though :thumbsup:

To be honest i dont even want to go near the Red Light bit and am pretty sure the OH doesnt want to go near there either.

Do you want to get stoned?
If so, fair enough.
If not, that's the only two 'attractions' Amsterdam has wiped out.:confused:
In which case, go to Paris/Prague/Florence/Lisbon.
All much nicer places, IMO.

The hotels I have listed are away from the Red light district.

If you are facing the Central station the right light district is on the right hand side a few streets in. Stir clear of this area if your not looking to score hard drugs or a prostitute. You wont be hassled outside of this area.

Bilderberg Garden hotel is another good hotel but this is a 10 minute ride from the centre.

Bilderberg Garden Hotel - Amsterdam - Bilderberg, 20 hotels en restaurants in Nederland, voor een overnachting, weekendje weg, diner, feest of een zakelijke bijeenkomst

I also has an award winning restaurant. I believe this was a five star hotel when I visited. Another hotel which is highly recommended. :)

I recommend taking an evening stroll there just so that you have seen what goes on, its quite eye-opening really but far less shocking than many (including my other half) would previously think. Check it out around 8-9pm and all will be well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom