TRIO Separates Set Up Advice

Stephen333

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I recently purchased a TRIO separates system from an online charity. The description stated it had been electronically tested and worked. While aware that such purchases can be fraught with danger I nonetheless purchased in hope. I have attached all the cables that came with it, and noticed that one set is missing. I have also noticed that 3 of the ‘system control’ sockets remain unattached, as there was no supporting cable included to do this. Additionally, there were cables which do not appear to connect to any separate. Perhaps some form of speaker cable perhaps? I connected everything, including attachment to a pair of 80’s TRIO speakers which I’ve recently unstinted and work perfectly. Unfortunately no sound emerged.
The CD player appears to function, however the Amp and Cassette separates don’t. The Tuner is currently unconnected, awaiting delivery of a new cable. I have attached front and rear photos in the hope that some kind soul can possibly confirm what is currently wrong, and what might need to be done to correct the current status. Thank you, in anticipation
276DAEF0-D8BE-4C28-8B7B-EC68251441E2.jpeg

Attachments

• 450D1F85-5F1C-42B4-8D4B-4B4D4231A372.jpeg
    450D1F85-5F1C-42B4-8D4B-4B4D4231A372.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 39
A good starting point would be to find the manuals for each component (X-3WS, A-5S, T-3LS, DP-730) or possibly the entire system has a single model reference?

Easier said than done with gear this old. Manualslib is often helpful:

There are other websites that have user manuals but often these need to be paid for.

If searches for "Trio xxx" don't find anything try "Kenwood" in place of Trio as Kenwood took over Trio at some point.

As 3rdignis posted, the system power on/off button is on the tuner. Seems strange but I have a similar old Technics midi system which has the same arrangement - and control cabling too.

Note that only the amp and CD player have their own dedicated power lead which means the cassette deck and tuner are powered through the system control cabling. Unfortunately, this may mean that the system control cable that's missing (i.e. between tuner and amp), is vital to system operation. I'm confused about this because the amp has it's own power lead and, in the photo, appears to be powered up so I don't know what's preventing use of the amp with the signal feed from the CD player (the signal lead from CD player into amp looks OK and I imagine you selected the CD input on the amp?). Keep volume low to start with.

Have you tried connecting headphones to both the CD and amp headphone sockets and playing a CD? Might be telling.

A good starting point would be to find the manuals for each component (X-3WS, A-5S, T-3LS, DP-730) or possibly the entire system has a single model reference?

Easier said than done with gear this old. Manualslib is often helpful:

There are other websites that have user manuals but often these need to be paid for.

If searches for "Trio xxx" don't find anything try "Kenwood" in place of Trio as Kenwood took over Trio at some point.

As 3rdignis posted, the system power on/off button is on the tuner. Seems strange but I have a similar old Technics midi system which has the same arrangement - and control cabling too.

Note that only the amp and CD player have their own dedicated power lead which means the cassette deck and tuner are powered through the system control cabling. Unfortunately, this may mean that the system control cable that's missing (i.e. between tuner and amp), is vital to system operation. I'm confused about this because the amp has it's own power lead and, in the photo, appears to be powered up so I don't know what's preventing use of the amp with the signal feed from the CD player (the signal lead from CD player into amp looks OK and I imagine you selected the CD input on the amp?). Keep volume low to start with.

Have you tried connecting headphones to both the CD and amp headphone sockets and playing a CD? Might be telling.
Thanks so much for the detailed reply and possible solutions. Greatly appreciated. When I return tomorrow I shall do as you suggest and let you know. As you rightly suggest, sourcing a manual, or manuals, may be a necessity. Fingers crossed for a solution either way.

Before you do anything else, if you haven’t already, then make sure the right speaker black cable is securely connected to its output connecter.

It seems to be touching the case work as it is which is a fine recipe for an impressive bang and some smoke. 👍

Ps, you should also unbunch the phono cables. They might act as (albeit feeble) antennae for spurious noise.

Before you do anything else, if you haven’t already, then make sure the right speaker black cable is securely connected to its output connecter.

It seems to be touching the case work as it is which is a fine recipe for an impressive bang and some smoke. 👍
Very kind of you to let me know. I hadn’t noticed that, so will make good asap!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom