Trinnov Altitude 16/32 Owners Thread

Reaction score
With the recent sale of my much beloved AL16, I came to realise that there were a few members on AVForums (@Ringnut @fatboy frank @ianwilsn @Mick Roberts @MickB @mcbainne @mb3195 @burtonpark @MadScientist @sammy the squid) that own or were interested in purchasing an AL16 or AL32 and wanted to create an "Owners Thread" so that we can all share our experiences, tips and tricks etc.

The reason in creating this thread is to keep each other informed of possible future updates from Trinnov, share our settings, screen shots of speaker layouts and setup tips in the hope that everyone can use their amazing processor to its full capabilities.
Trinnov_Audio_Altitude_16_front_web.jpg

capture_4_10.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea, OK, I'll kick it off with some shots of my speaker layout during Optimisation FWIW. :)

Layout.jpg

Top view 2.jpg

Elevation view.jpg

Why did you sell your 16 ?

Hi all
I agree sounds like a good idea, Ringnut and I have shared a couple of private posts and me being new to the Altitude only having had a 16 for a few months I found his input very helpful.
I may not have a lot to offer at the moment but would certainly like to see what others have experience.

Mick

Hi all
I agree sounds like a good idea, Ringnut and I have shared a couple of private posts and me being new to the Altitude only having had a 16 for a few months I found his input very helpful.
I may not have a lot to offer at the moment but would certainly like to see what others have experience.

Mick
You'll have a lot more to offer than me, so any input from my perspective is a bonus ;)

Hi all

Mick

I agree, @Ringnut is very knowledgeable in not only the Trinnov but audio in general, great asset to the AVForums :thumbsup:

Here's some from me when I had my AL16:

After calibration with mic at MLP:

Screenshot_20190919-170508_bVNC Free.jpg

Target Curve I used to apply previously:

Screenshot_20190921-123509_bVNC Free.jpg

I might as well put mine in, I currently do not use a target curve so running completely flat but I have used additional Bass management very pleased with the results so far.
8041FF5B-5439-48E2-A54B-1B8A0753D433.png
880DED3F-4785-45C7-B861-FA8890E6032E.png

@Mick Roberts , do you go into "Processor" menu, then "Input" play pink noise, then into "Ouput" and adjust the levels to match 75db on your SPL for each speaker? I know some who don't but it is very important to level match every speaker. The reason I ask is because in the above image I notice you are running your subs 7db hot.

Last edited:
@mkohman
I must admit I have not, during calibration I set centre to reference and assumed during the calibration the levels are set similar to my old Marantz 8802a so would this be after calibration or before.

Mick

Regarding subs
I like a bit of impact, I did raise the subs to match the reference level prior to calibration but still found it a little tame so used the bass management to achieve what I liked.

Mick

@mkohman
I must admit I have not, during calibration I set centre to reference and assumed during the calibration the levels are set similar to my old Marantz 8802a so would this be after calibration or before.

Mick
You can do it both before or after as far as I am aware of but I would suggest doing before calibration so that the menu before you start calibration will show 80db (green) on all the channels when your cycling through in manual mode when playing the pink noise.

If you don't level match prior to calibration then some channels may show 76db, others 82db etc.. However I don't believe the level match affects the end result of the calibration at all so doing it after calibration is also OK as far as I know, just don't forget to hit the save button in the end 😊

Ok thanks for that, I used to occasionally check after calibration of the Marantz which was never too far out I will check it.
So are you saying the Trinnov does not align automatically? If so it is not something I was aware of, can’t say I saw this in the set up manual or I missed it.

Mick

Ok thanks for that, I used to occasionally check after calibration of the Marantz which was never too far out I will check it.
So are you saying the Trinnov does not align automatically? If so it is not something I was aware of, can’t say I saw this in the set up manual or I missed it.

Mick
What I'm saying is, its always good to double check with your SPL meter :)

Mick

It does and very accurately I've found, but as Mkohman says it doesn't hurt to check. The only channels I found slightly out were the two front height channels.

do you go into "Processor" menu, then "Input" play pink noise, then into "Ouput" and adjust the levels to match 75db on your SPL for each speaker?

Personally I'd check with Trinnov as to where in the processor's signal path that 'pink noise' is generated and whether using that option is appropriate for the use you wish to put it to as this may effect the accuracy of the output for that purpose.

The safest way is to check via an input source i.e. a calibration disc or similar as then you will be checking the full signal path not just part of it. ;)

Last edited:
Personally I'd check with Trinnov as to where in the processor's signal path that 'pink noise' is generated and whether using that option is appropriate for you use you wish to use it as this may effect the accuracy of the output for that purpose.

The safest way is to check via an input source i.e. a calibration disc or similar as then you will be checking the full signal path not just part of it. ;)
I've always used Spears & Munsil via my Oppo, just something i've got into the habit of doing after any type of calibration i've done on any of my previous AVR's & Pre/Pro's

Good to see this thread starting, and so many people I know. Let me know if you need any assistance. Going to have a bit more office based time over the next few weeks it would seem...

Does anyone know if this does hdmi pass through when off, as currently have my Sky Q connected to HDMI 2, or will i need to connect directly to my TV?

I'm guessing it doesn't, as it's either on or off and doesn't have a standby ....still working my way through the manual and trying to get my head around how the presets work etc before i carry out my first calibration :)

Does anyone know if this does hdmi pass through when off, as currently have my Sky Q connected to HDMI 2, or will i need to connect directly to my TV?

I'm guessing it doesn't, as it's either on or off and doesn't have a standby ....still working my way through the manual and trying to get my head around how the presets work etc before i carry out my first calibration :)

Hi @fatboy frank

Sorry I can’t help I run only audio to my Trinnov via Lumagen and direct from a Zappiti pro and Panasonic uhd player which works really well, I would think it’s unlikely to pass through if you turn the Trinnov off as it does seem to shutdown completely, I’m surprised no one else has yet replied but maybe everyone is the same as me and only running audio, hopefully some body may be able to answer you shortly.
Mick

Thanks Mick,

I can route the Sky Q straight to the tv as i always have that on, but there might be occasions when i don't want to have the Trinnov on. Not really a problem, just more of an inconvenience the way i have it connected at the moment.

Sorry I can’t help I run only audio to my Trinnov via Lumagen

Same here. Try dropping Antoine a line at Trinnov support, their response is usually second to none.

Thanks Mick,

I can route the Sky Q straight to the tv as i always have that on, but there might be occasions when i don't want to have the Trinnov on. Not really a problem, just more of an inconvenience the way i have it connected at the moment.

Hi Shane, hope all well. Sorry I just saw your post now. I don't believe you can passthrough when the Trinnov is in the "off" status as it is like a PC if you like. Once it's off it's off so unfortunately I don't believe this can be done. As @Mick Roberts I also only use for Audio via HDMI.

All the best :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom