Trinnov Altitude 16/32 Owners Thread

fatboy frank

Distinguished Member
I see nothing has changed around here. I've avoided this forum for about 6 months for exactly this reason; fed up by reading the same unfounded and unsubstantiated claims.
My first visit back and it's exactly the same...

Thanks for calling it out.
To be fair it's the first for a very long time.

indus

Distinguished Member

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Maybe it was just fate that I checked in on this day after 6 months then lol
fate telling you to get a Lyngdorf 🤣

Apollo

Maybe it was just fate that I checked in on this day after 6 months then lol
To be fair it's everywhere you look to a lesser or greater degree.

In moderation there is no problem and you can just skip over the problem posts when you see a familiar name. The problem is when it crosses over into effectively spamming the same info time and again and begins to smell a bit like trolling, intended or not. When there is a commercial link behind it I find that particularly irritating.

indus

Distinguished Member

ianwilsn

Standard Member
I went the MP-60 route also coming from an 861v8, and it is also immeasurably better than the Meridian on movies...
That's really interesting... I thought that an 861 was where I'd end-up (a big fan of Meridian's ethos and also the flexibility of their 861... is v8 the latest ? crikey !) so am delighted to hear that the Altitude betters it :)

...but whilst it is certainly transparent and precise, I am less convinced by its musicality in my room. It’s early days so far, and I haven’t yet had a chance to tweak my own voicings, but it is interesting that you have felt no loss in that area with the Trinnov.
Yes 'musicality' is a great way of describing it and why (as per my other post) I felt a SP3/BDA combo had the edge...
...but having said that, I've recently started a Roon trial using the Trinnov as an Endpoint, and the 'music' has taken another leap forward so now I'm not so sure.

And you're right of course, the Trinnov's features and number of presets (29?) means that very many hours can be spent tweaking and tailoring it to your particular tastes and circumstances.

Ian

dBrowne

It was primarily the digital out to my DSPs that tilted me towards the Lyngdorf. Had Trinnov offered that at the same price point, I could easily have gone the other way.
FWIW, I certainly feel that the MP-60 has changed the sound of my speakers. Meridian DSPs have a particular house sound; I’ve owned a fair few of them and my present ones do subjectively now sound different.

Last edited:

iamimpossible

One must take what Rob Sinden says with a pinch of salt (or a bucket load), obviously he's trying to promote what he sell's unfortunately like a used car salesman.

Roomperfect review: Review and Measurements of Lyngdorf RoomPerfect EQ

Lets face it "RoomPerfect is the only system they have found they corrected room errors and that preserved the performance of their speakers. " translates to Roomperfect mainly focuses on bass management and doesn't really try to correct mid and high frequencies because it can't do a good job of it, leaving the rest of the frequency relatively unchanged or "preserving the tone".

But as explained by Rob, Steinway Lyngdorf uses speaker profiles for different speakers, i.e. roomperfect cannot separate the room from the speaker. Hence it need the profiles to help it out.

PS: I've had an mp-60 in my house for 4 weeks. It's comparable to the Arcam I had with DIRAC.
My Trinnov should be with me in a few days. with speaker profiles for my speakers from paradigm.

Last edited:

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Trinnov and all other room correction will change the sound of your speakers. RoomPerfect doesn’t.

This is why Meridian has switched to RoomPerfect.

With Seriously Cinemas’ new showroom it’s easy to put this to the test. You can listen to the same piece of music on the Trinnov, Lyngdorf and Steinway Lyngdorf system within 5 minutes. Try this and you'll hear an obvious improvement in quality from system to system.

iamimpossible

Are they the same rooms, or does the lyngdorf room have better speaker's?

My trinnov is here soon and will be able to compair, same room, same speakers same amps.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Trinnov and all other room correction will change the sound of your speakers. RoomPerfect doesn’t.

With Seriously Cinemas’ new showroom it’s easy to put this to the test. You can listen to the same piece of music on the Trinnov, Lyngdorf and Steinway Lyngdorf system within 5 minutes. Try this and you'll hear an obvious improvement in quality from system to system.
🥱🥱🥱😴😴😴😴

Lesmor

Distinguished Member
if you don't want EQ to change the sound of your speakers then the only way to do it is not to use EQ in the first place
unfortunately the MLP the room/space the speakers are in has other ideas on what you hear

iamimpossible

The reason they have gone with roomperfect is becuase its relativity easy to set up compared to other solutions such as dirac, not because its better.

Apollo

Seriously (no pun intended!) again???

You ok Rob, still with us?
Beginning to think you‘ve been kidnapped and a slightly dim AI bot is filling in for you by repeating your most used catch phrases :)

steelman1991

Seriously (no pun intended!) again???

You ok Rob, still with us?
Beginning to think you‘ve been kidnapped and a slightly dim AI bot is filling in for you by repeating your most used catch phrases :)
He's been kidnapped and morphed into "Russ Andrews" :smashin: :rotfl:

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member

I have never had this nonsense actually translated, perhaps start a thread on Room Perfect and why YOU believe it is so much better than everything else. Rob, this just sits uncomfortably for me an a few others it seems. There are some intelligent people on this forum we deserve intelligent comments if they are to be stated ad nauseam. "Trinnov and all other room correction will change the sound of your speakers" Why not just say they will DAMAGE your speakers its as factually accurate ?

DodgeTheViper

Can I suggest that this thread sticks to its subject title otherwise I'll just have to delete 'off topic' posts.

Thanks

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
He has the Lyngdorf in a dedicated room with mk300 and the trinnov in a not so ideal room with the mk150.

I’m in no way knocking his setup, but it’s not exactly an apples for apples comparison.

No one on this thread in interested in hearing how roomperfect supposedly doesn’t change the sound of your speakers, we have around 15 other threads for that.......
Our media room is a specially treated room with a BASWA ceiling and professional grade acoustic curtains.
The 150 system performs to an incredible level and is the correct speaker system for the room with dual X10 subs. The same amplification and sources are used in both rooms.
Our cinema a room is untreated bar from the wall fabric which is also in the media room and it has carpet.

The Trinnov system sounds killer and has been professionally calibrated. We are also the only showroom in Europe that has both processors on permanent demonstration.
Clients can walk between the two rooms playing identical content through our Kaleidescape movie server simultaneously

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Our media room is a specially treated room with a BASWA ceiling and professional grade acoustic curtains.
The 150 system performs to an incredible level and is the correct speaker system for the room with dual X10 subs. The same amplification and sources are used in both rooms.
Our cinema a room is untreated bar from the wall fabric which is also in the media room and it has carpet.

The Trinnov system sounds killer and has been professionally calibrated. We are also the only showroom in Europe that has both processors on permanent demonstration.
Clients can walk between the two rooms playing identical content through our Kaleidescape movie server simultaneously
I wasn’t knocking your setup in any way, it’s great that you have 2 of the best processors on permanent demo.

I was just pointing out after Rob had said the Lyngdorf clearly sounded better than the trinnov that it wasn’t an apples for apples comparison.

You have a 9.4.6 setup with the Lyngdorf with the 300 series speakers and x12 subs, correct me if I’m wrong, but your trinnov setup is 5.2.x? with the 150 speakers and x10 subs.

Like I said, maybe still a great setup, but not an apples for apples comparison.

The only started because Rob came on the trinnov owners thread preaching the benefits of roomperfect, when none of us lot on here care......

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
That’s fine Mark and I understand.

I just want people to realise that just because the Trinnov is in the media room and not the cinema room that is in no way compromised.

it’s a £36k+ audio system not taking into account the room treatment. It’s a 5.2.4.

The cinema is 7.4.4.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
That’s fine Mark and I understand.

I just want people to realise that just because the Trinnov is in the media room and not the cinema room that is in no way compromised.

it’s a £36k+ audio system not taking into account the room treatment. It’s a 5.2.4.

The cinema is 7.4.4.
I bet it sounds great mate 👍🏻

the_dude2

Both of the systems at @Seriously Ltd sound amazing. I just happen to prefer the Trinnov, which I've had for just over a week now and my God, it sounds awesome.

Still tweaking when I get the time, I only checked channel levels with an SPL meter last night! And am currently trying a curve with a steeper roll off in the HF.....I love drawing target curves.

But it's so good with movies or music. Having 2 X HDMI 2.0 outputs is really handy as the switcher I used previously was soooo slooowww.

My only criticism at the moment is to my eyes and ears dialogue seems a tiny bit off. But I don't know if it's just me trying to get used to something that's so transparent and its easier to tell when dialogue had been re-recorded and dubbed etc in the mixing process.

I just need to decide what film to put on tonight....thinking of Ford v Ferrari.

StephanG

I agree completely with Stephan's description but that can also been viewed as a fantastic foundation on which you can build in any way you desire.
I think this is a very strong point of Trinnov. Trinnov + non-coloring amps and then a clean speaker such as JBL, Procella, Meyer, Krix, QSC or similar and the rest is calibration + tweaking. If you like the sound of Wisdom, Meridian, Steinway, B&W, whatever, you can tweak the combo to sound like that if you want.

That's really interesting... I thought that an 861 was where I'd end-up (a big fan of Meridian's ethos and also the flexibility of their 861... is v8 the latest ? crikey !) so am delighted to hear that the Altitude betters it :)
The 861v8 is still great for up to 7.1 from a sound quality point of view. Not so much room correction, as it focuses really on the lower end. But that is it. There won't be more than 8 channels for the 861. Meridian had a ceiling speaker many years before 3D audio, but it never took off. Don't think it's in the firmware anymore. Until now, Meridian has done their more recent demos with Marantz or Trinnov. Meridian doesn't seem that interested anymore in home theater. They've never introduced a BluRay player, leave alone UHD. They've also abandoned projection and video processing.

..but having said that, I've recently started a Roon trial using the Trinnov as an Endpoint, and the 'music' has taken another leap forward so now I'm not so sure.
I think a lot depends on where you're coming from. If you've used a kit for a longer period of time, then it becomes the reference. The best way is to use something new for a few months and then go back to the old system. That's how differences really show. A direct A/B comparison always has this problem. That's why A/B/C comparisons are better where C is a reference system in a studio or a dub stage.

It was primarily the digital out to my DSPs that tilted me towards the Lyngdorf. Had Trinnov offered that at the same price point, I could easily have gone the other way.
Been there, done that. Found that's the case ages ago. Modern D/A or A/D conversions are transparent with good components and matched levels. That is, unless you do it like 20 times. Can be easily demonstrated with active/DSP speakers from Adam, Genelec, Alcons, JBL, etc.

Meridian DSPs have a particular house sound; I’ve owned a fair few of them and my present ones do subjectively now sound different.
I fully agree. Lyngdorf changes sound, just like most others. Doesn't mean it's a bad processor. Plenty of people have seen that happen and reported it. I also keep wondering what it actually means when someone says, it doesn't change the sound of the speaker. The room itself changes the sound of the speaker. So if you don't want to change the sound of a speaker, you'd have to sit in a anechoic chamber and focus on direct sound. The rest changes with the room itself.

Lets face it "RoomPerfect is the only system they have found they corrected room errors and that preserved the performance of their speakers. " translates to Roomperfect mainly focuses on bass management and doesn't really try to correct mid and high frequencies because it can't do a good job of it, leaving the rest of the frequency relatively unchanged or "preserving the tone".
Amen to that. I'd even go as far as saying RP isn't a full room correction system. It is a bass management system, which works on smoothing out the response. And before the Lyngdorf police shows up, I think it's very similar to what Meridian offered for ages, except that it's fully automated with a push of button where Meridians MRC never really worked automated and requires manual setup with external measurements.

Also consider the following, Procella speakers for example require some additional FIR filters above 4kHz to really shine. Most calibrators struggle with this and can't get it right. With RP only, it's impossible to do. Now you could blame this on the speakers and say this should have been fixed during construction or even design. But then you would never have speakers the size of Steinway or Genelec, because these correct as well in their DSPs. Also consider what allows the small size of a JBL M2 vs equivalent QSC... it's the correction in DSP. I have no idea why Procella didn't take care of it in their DSP amps, but I guess they know that a room will introduce additional problems which requires further tweaking and so it could be done in one place.

Also, the reason for Meridian is not that the MP-60 doesn't change the sound. That's marketing again. The reason is that RP is very similar to MRC and that's what they have been using for decades. Also, there's a connection between Meridian and (Peter) Lyngdorf that goes back to the old Tact days. Many people used Meridian DSP speakers back then with Tact TCS for software related reasons. There were also rumors back then about a possible merger, which didn't happen. I guess both companies took some things from the other and did it their own way.

I always found it funny when people mention the innovation of Lyngdorf to cut speakers off rather high and use boundary subs in addition, when Meridian did this long before Lyngdorf existed. Not that Meridian invented it, there used to be a very active DIY community back in the 90s designing speakers that way, so it's really nothing new.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Both of the systems at @Seriously Ltd sound amazing. I just happen to prefer the Trinnov, which I've had for just over a week now and my God, it sounds awesome.

Still tweaking when I get the time, I only checked channel levels with an SPL meter last night! And am currently trying a curve with a steeper roll off in the HF.....I love drawing target curves.

But it's so good with movies or music. Having 2 X HDMI 2.0 outputs is really handy as the switcher I used previously was soooo slooowww.

My only criticism at the moment is to my eyes and ears dialogue seems a tiny bit off. But I don't know if it's just me trying to get used to something that's so transparent and its easier to tell when dialogue had been re-recorded and dubbed etc in the mixing process.

I just need to decide what film to put on tonight....thinking of Ford v Ferrari.
that’s the great thing about the trinnov.....literally everything (bar full metal jacket which was awful) sounds amazing on it.

Ford vs Ferrari is demo worthy stuff.

Ive had virtually no issues with lip sync, only on 1 film have I noticed it, but I think that was the actual film and not anything to do with my setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett