Trimming recordings from DVD +-RW

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by richardd, Oct 23, 2005.

1. richardd

richardd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like many people, I replaced my VCR's with a DVD recorder ( Alba RDVD 1001 ) - a cheap recorder which uses +RW, +R media. I wanted to use the non-DVD Forum media 'cos I have used both + - systems at work and found the + to be more user friendly.

I want to do two things:

1) trim leadins/outs and adverts from home recordings

2) back up, for my own use , some rare commercial dvd's ( mainly R1's ) which would cost a fortune to replace.

I use an old Sony DRX-510 +-R/RW reader/burner on my PC and edit on the PC since editing on the DVD recorder is basic to say the least.

When I started this - I naively thought this would be easy!!

Not wanting to spend any money - and not being interested in authoring DVD's - I tried to do this initially with cheapo software i.e. Nero 6 reloaded bought from e-bay and any freeware I could get my hands on.

So far I have found the following:

Nero would sometimes not read from the DVD +RW - or only find the first title. Sometimes when it read the .VOB, the file appeared to be corrupted - this was even after ripping the stream to HD using the well known utility whose name cannot be mentioned.

The Nero Vision Express 3 editor was flakey at best and caused some system crashes. The MySonic freebie that came with the Sony is a disaster - crashes / coasters etc.

After playing around for a bit I found that VideoReDo Quickstreamfix was the only thing I could find that would recover the .VOB files into editable .mpg.

I eventually shelled out $49 on VideoRedo "cos it does what it says on the can". Trimming / cutting / joining are trivial. NVE re-authors and burns the output faultlessly - I have never had a coaster with Nero - it might decide to run v. slowly at times - but it gets there in the end.

On the subject of backing up - I use the aforementioned utility and DVDshrink ( with all the HQ boxes checked ) - this works OK but the recoding is tedious.

I guess the question is - is there a better way - am I missing something here ?

Should I get a HDD recorder since I am basically just recording analogue signals on the DVD recorder. How user friendly are HDD recorders? Would I have to link to a PC to edit / backup to DVD ?

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You have a pretty good strategy already; ripping home recordings with DVD Decrypter, editing/cleaning up with VRD and then authoring/burning with Nero sounds fine.

Backing up commercial DVDs with DVD Shrink takes a long time on any domestic PC, especially with the 2-pass mode selected. However it is still the best freeware (and probably payware) DVD9 -> DVD5 transcoding utility out there. Most people leave it to run overnight. Note that you can also use DVD Shrink to rip, combine and burn (via Nero), titles from different DVDs onto a single disc.

I'm not sure what a HDD-based DVD recorder would offer you over a PC editing solution. You don't have the flexibility of changing the menus, the re-encoding to fit a DVD isn't going to be anywhere near the quality of DVD Shrink, and you have to do all your editing in front of the other household members.

If you ever get into Freeview recording from a PC card, then you will find VRD great for cleaning up the MPEG2 transport stream prior to authoring.

Just for interest's sake, for a comparative way of doing things, see here...

3. richardd

richardd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

your comments are very useful - and I'll certainly try using Shrink directly. I suppose I was hoping that I had missed something basic here but it looks like I haven't.

4. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips DVDR 75 (although now dead) which allowed me to mark and hide chapters. I then made the disc compatable and played it in my DVD player while recording onto a DV+R. Worked a treat and once I knew how many frames to advance before marking/hiding chapters never got any ads or lead in/outs on my recordings and the pause when the player encountered a chapter to skip was almost negligible. I have now got a Sony GX210S which isn't as accurate but the remote is a joy to use and I have a PYE PRV 645 which is Philips based and quite a lot better in edit facility (in frame accuracy) than the Sony even though it cost less than half the price. I also use it to dub to DVHS and the quality is very good indeed. I especially like the 2x record mode for those times when 2 hr isn't quite long enough but 3 hr mode is a drastic step down in recording quality (although it doesn't have a 1hr HQ mode, I use the Sony to record and the PYE to edit on.
    Confused? You will be after watching the next episode of Soap!