Trim support in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Sukh88, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Sukh88

Sukh88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all,

I'm currently looking into getting an SSD during the sales, however there's one question that keeps lingering in my head whenever I browsed through them.

Does Snow Leopard support trim?

I currently have a 13" MBP 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo version.

Snow Leopard: 10.6.8

With regards to the SSD itself, I'm looking at the 120/128GB range. Two which I'm looking at (and can't decide from - you probably guessed them anyway :)) are:

Crucial M4
    OCZ Vertex 3

One thing putting me off the OCZ is I read somewhere that the 240GB is the one to go for (something to do with speed or parts used). At the time I didn't pay much attention (sorry). Unfortunately I don't want to spend that much at the moment.

Any help on the OS support of trim would be greatly appreciated - anything else will be a bonus :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. Spoonhead

Spoonhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Trim support is only enabled by Apple on official SSD drives. All 3rd party drives aren't suported. But there is a hack to get it working.

http://www.groths.org/?p=522

Its still in beta so use at your own risk. There is also conflicting reports that the newer SSD drives with good garbage control (GC) don't need trim enabled.

A good thread here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/wap/GetThread.php?t=1125400&bat=

You might want to skip some of the older posts as it was released before Lion came out.

Gazza

3. Sukh88

Sukh88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sorry for the late response. Thank you Gazza for your help.

From what I can gather, Lion doesn't have support for trim on 3rd party SSD's either? For some reason I thought this restriction was only in SL.

Slightly annoyed with Apple for only supporting "their" SSDs. My next question is, how important is Trim on OSx?

I believe Windows supports Trim, providing the manufacturer has the feature available in their drive - something which my mate tried to ensure was available when he bought his.

I don't really want to buy a SSD if the condition of it gets worse over time - I'm hoping this will be my last upgrade on my MBP.