• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Trim support in Snow Leopard

Sukh88

Established Member
Hi all,

I'm currently looking into getting an SSD during the sales, however there's one question that keeps lingering in my head whenever I browsed through them.

Does Snow Leopard support trim?

I currently have a 13" MBP 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo version.

Snow Leopard: 10.6.8

With regards to the SSD itself, I'm looking at the 120/128GB range. Two which I'm looking at (and can't decide from - you probably guessed them anyway :)) are:

Crucial M4
OCZ Vertex 3

One thing putting me off the OCZ is I read somewhere that the 240GB is the one to go for (something to do with speed or parts used). At the time I didn't pay much attention (sorry). Unfortunately I don't want to spend that much at the moment.

Any help on the OS support of trim would be greatly appreciated - anything else will be a bonus :)

Last edited:

Spoonhead

Prominent Member
Trim support is only enabled by Apple on official SSD drives. All 3rd party drives aren't suported. But there is a hack to get it working.

http://www.groths.org/?p=522

Its still in beta so use at your own risk. There is also conflicting reports that the newer SSD drives with good garbage control (GC) don't need trim enabled.

A good thread here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/wap/GetThread.php?t=1125400&bat=

You might want to skip some of the older posts as it was released before Lion came out.

Gazza

Sukh88

Established Member
Sorry for the late response. Thank you Gazza for your help.

From what I can gather, Lion doesn't have support for trim on 3rd party SSD's either? For some reason I thought this restriction was only in SL.

Slightly annoyed with Apple for only supporting "their" SSDs. My next question is, how important is Trim on OSx?

I believe Windows supports Trim, providing the manufacturer has the feature available in their drive - something which my mate tried to ensure was available when he bought his.

I don't really want to buy a SSD if the condition of it gets worse over time - I'm hoping this will be my last upgrade on my MBP.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom