TRIM not working on Apple SSD...

Ok so I've got the early 2011 17" MBP (see sig). Got it the day they came out. I got it with the 128GB Apple SSD and it says TRIM is supported so it should've been working.

17 months later (well a lot earlier as well) it's much slower than when I got it. :thumbsdow

Continuous write speeds are down to half of what they were originally; this is what should happen if TRIM isn't on. I read somewhere that OSX only uses trim when you delete files larger than 4GB or something, so I booted a different disk and erased all the free space in disk utility (it creates a huge file you can see expanding, then deletes it) but that didn't seem to do anything.

So my main question is, why does TRIM appear to be not working at all? :confused:

Another thing thats really confusing me is that the read speeds have all dropped around 35% or so from the original. I don't understand how this is possible, nothing should slow down the reading, should it?

Use TRIM Enabler for Mac to enable TRIM on an SSD in OSX. Please remember that this app requires a restart and to be re-enabled after any major updates, e.g. Mountain Lion install.

But its an Apple SSD and in system information it says
Medium Type: Solid State
TRIM Support: Yes

And Trim Enabler.app says 'The patch is not active, but Trim is working. You probably have an Apple SSD, which supports Trim by default'

You see why I'm confused now, :confused: everything says its on but it appears to not have worked at all.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom