Trigger zone 2 via alexa

Msib

Novice Member
Hi all, I have a marantz nr1711 avr and have got amazon unlimited as a streaming service. I also have the house wired with ceiling speakers via a systemline system. This was in the house when I moved in and I have made the house zone 2 effectively. This way I can say to my echos play whatever and it plays in teh house. But I need to do a couple of steps, namely, opening my heos app and turning on zone 2. Is there a way to trigger zone 2 to come on automatically. I do not want to keep zone 2 on all the time. Can this be done via an IR trigger ( the systemline has IR capabilities) or is there a setting I am missing?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I use a Broadlink RM Mini to do a similar job, its linked to my Google Assistant and Google speakers so slightly different to your Echoes.

In the broadlink app I created what broadlink calls a scene and named it music, this is a list of IR commands and delays. On the Google Home I simply say "OK Google activate music" and it runs the scene I setup.

It's not an automatic thing, you still need 2 commands via voice but it does mean it can be done entirely by voice.

I've not tried using the RMMini with Alexa yet, I do also have an Echo Show 5 in my bedroom so I might give that a go later, I know it's supported by Alexa though.

Msib

Novice Member
Thanks I have an email pro but it is in another room. But I may be able to use the ir of the system line. Will try that

Jamie

Distinguished Member
If the system line includes IR relay functionality that's a good call. I personally find the Broadlink database a bit lacking so would suggest using your original remote with zone 2 selected to teach it the commands you need.

The latest video from AVForums

42-inch LG C2 OLED Review, DIY TV Calibration + Turntables for under £500 + AV/Hi-Fi News & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom