• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Tried WDTV, Apple TV, ChromeCast and Firetv. Next suggestions?

pr1970

Hi All

As the topic suggest i`ve been through a few video streamers (WDTV, Apple TV 3rd gen, ChromeCast and Firetv). And to be honest not that happy with any of them. Any suggestions. Looking for something that does all the bbc iplayer,4od,itv,ch5 and plex or dnla and youtube.

Heres basically what I liked and disliked about the units i`ve had

Apple TV
+ nice interface
- plex only worked with plexconnect and then . Limited for UK uses.

Chromecast
+ price, size, works with most apps
- doesnt have a remote so requires phone.

Amazon Fire stick
+ price, size, plex support
- doesnt have 4od or itv apps

So anything you can suggest that fits better with what I want. Roku perhaps??

THanks in advance

Paul

bernado

I think the only thing will be a Roku, the Roku 2 is available really cheap now. I'm in a similar position to you with my wants but also need Kodi so no good for me as a one stop solution. I do have a second gen NowTV box which is a Roku box and have tried Plex (sideloaded) on it which worked ok, though I prefer Emby as it seems to pay more formats.

One thing though with the Roku in case it matters to you, you can't change advanced network settings so no good if you're running a smart dns service.

djstu_d

The full blown fire TV now has itv and all 4 catch up apps, so worth a look.... £15 off at the mo too !!

Hth

djstu_d

You'd think so..... Might be able to side load them ?!?

I've got both, sick and box and coming from a wd live, I think the full blown fire TV is a great media player.... Kodi, Plex, catch up apps, prime, Netflix and easy to change the DNS settings... Nothing it doesn't do really and all for £65 !!

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I have a new Amazin Fire TV box and there's no All4 app for it - it's the only catch-up service missing. I emailed Amazon about this and the response was, in effect 'no idea'. Has this now changed?

Clem

jerryq7777

Probably a way of grabbing the APK and sideloading it.
Do a search on google.

ovbg

Fire TV Box. The 4K (2nd Gen) now has All 4 as well as ITV Hub. These are supposed to find their way to the Fire TV Stick soon, but ITV has been saying that for months. Speculation is that they are waiting for the latest OS 5 update on the older devices.

In any case, this means the Fire TV (2nd Gen) has the widest range of UK Free-to-air catch-up services available with the BBC iPlayer (+BBC Sport), ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5 and UKTV Play (Dave, Yesterday, Really and Drama), plus TVPlayer for live streams and a subscription that adds more channels with some catch-up. (Roku lacks UKTVPlay and TVPlayer, but adds Now TV).

The Apple TV 4 now has BBC iPlayer, along with Now TV. This may be way lower than the Fire TV, but it has the most potential. It is generally expected that sometime next year (possibly in the first half), it will catch up to the Fire TV, but what makes the Apple TV 4 so incredible is that it is easily possible to add catch-up services from other countries as well.

This requires a Smart DNS unblocking service, but for less than a coffee per month, that means that alongside all the UK apps, you will also have access to all the free-to-air television from Australia, New Zealand, United States, Canada and Ireland, which is a huge amount of free TV. (Plus other countries if you speak another language)

If you are just interested in UK apps, then I highly recommend the Amazon Fire TV 4K box right now (You can also add American apps, but the method is not as easy as the ATV4, and the US has the worst free-to-air content of any English-speaking country, mainly because they like to charge for everything there - though they are great if you don't mind paying for stuff via Hulu, HBO, Sling TV etc).

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom