Tried to set my Ferguson VCR - but failed

SoundBox

Novice Member
What with all the good TV on at the moment I want to use 2 VCR's for taping shows for when I am less busy with guests etc. I set up my spare VCR - a Ferguson 3V55 which I repaired earlier this year. I don't have the instructions (trouble brewing).

Well I set the clock and did what I thought was right in entering the start and stop times but checked just now it was recording The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe but it was just sitting there silent.:(

The start and stop times were entered and the clock is right and I pressed 'timer' - but what else is there I need to do? I did note that '2nd' came up on the display - but second what? I don't know what that means.

I looked online for instructions but can't find any for sale.

Thanks for any input or help. I have loads I want to record but I won't be around to press the 'inst rec' button.

SoundBox

Novice Member
Cheers JayCee - I am using AUX in (digibox connected) and set that - but the machine is not turning on in timer mode.

mike7

Distinguished Member
Just guessing but I'm wondering where the 'time' reference is coming from now that Analogue TV is switched off. This machine is 25 years old, maybe its time to pension it off and settle for a digital recorder.

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
All possible problem issues of time and calendar apart...

I imagine that '2nd' refers to the unit waiting for the second programming sequnce for another timer... which suggests that you [ somehow] have to leave the programming status before the programming can be acted upon.

Is there a timer standby button to press perhaps?

iaint

Hi.
Used to have a Ferg VCR (dunno which model; got nicked a while back); 2nd referred to the second occurrence of the day; so set it for "Mon", and it'll record on Monday. Set "2nd Mon", and it'll skip this Monday but record next monday. When selecting the day for the timer, you can go all the way through the week and it toggles...
--
Regards, Iain.

SoundBox

Novice Member
Hi.
Used to have a Ferg VCR (dunno which model; got nicked a while back); 2nd referred to the second occurrence of the day; so set it for "Mon", and it'll record on Monday. Set "2nd Mon", and it'll skip this Monday but record next monday. When selecting the day for the timer, you can go all the way through the week and it toggles...
--
Regards, Iain.

Thanks for that - you were right! It has a 14 day timer so 2nd meant it was set for NEXT saturday. Pressing 'day' soon shows it toggle - and my error.

SoundBox

Novice Member
Just guessing but I'm wondering where the 'time' reference is coming from now that Analogue TV is switched off. This machine is 25 years old, maybe its time to pension it off and settle for a digital recorder.

Well the time must be set manually - but this is not hard to do as it has clearly labelled buttons under a flap. The machine is not my main one (that is a hard drive) but when two things are on I want to time-slip I need a second recorder. I saved it from the dump - and apart from needing a clean and service it is in good order. Made in the UK too!

Fred Smith

JemTheWire

Novice Member
This is one instance, IMHO, that things have changed for the better. Just pull up the EPG and hit record. Job done.

I know that there are all sort of caveats, quality of programmes, picture quality etal. That is a separate argument. But from a plain and simple way of setting timers, the 'modern' way has got to be up there with sliced bread!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom