1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tried a new card and lost my display-Help Please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Ged, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have tried to fit a new graphics card for the DVI feature, loosely following the instructions which were a little vague and I have managed to loose the display after the initial black and white screen and Windows XP black and colour screen.
    The last thing I remember doing was disablingor removing something in the
    control panel/settings/advanced section.
    Ended up with the new card makes the m/board beep only, an old drive works, and the current drive is the inital problem.
    Does any one know how to get the display back?
    I tried putting the XP disc back in but after file transfers etc the reboot ended with the black screen, now it won't load the XP disc :oops:

Looks like a trip to the shop, but any help appreciated, thanks.

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,402
    see if XP will boot into safe mode first..

hold down F8 at the initial BIOS screen, until you get a list of choices displayed, 'safe mode' should be the top one..

If XP boots, then the card is OK, it's just a driver problem.
    Uninstall the card driver software whilst in safe mode, then reboot XP normally and have another go at the driver installation. :)

3. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Dude, as usual, I have wandered far from the safe path! The current situation is the card is out of the PC, when it boots up I get the initial black and white screen then the black XP then nothing, I can get the BIOS to come on.

I don't remeber all of last nights events but it did at one point start with putting the XP disc in (the blue set up screen only), now I get nothing past the first two screens, it still has the HD light and an older HD will work.

I am sure I switched off something in the advanced settings of the display, thats when I retried the card and never got it back on.

I hoped sticking the XP disc would sort it out, it went through the motions a few times and I am sure it still is doing something as it whirs away but I cannot see it.

I will retry F8 and hold it down longer.

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Managed to use F8 to get to the set up, safe mode just sat there with a full screen of text and no action, last good config and others left it hanging with a blue windows set up starting screen. Any more ideas? I will probably take it to a shop this week
    Thanks,
    Ged.

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,402
    safe mode does take a very long time to boot up, all you get is the text screen for a good few mins sometimes.. how long did you give it?

Def. leave it a good five mins when booting into safe mode...

If that doesn't work, looks like it's time to reinstall Windows, as I think you may have trashed the Windows install by partially running Windows setup from the CD, if I've read your first post right? :(

6. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I am sure I left it for a good five or so, just a load of dos like text and no activity, i will retry. Re the setup, yes, I have tried a lot, inserted the XP disc which sort of went through some set up but didn't fix it. Looks like a call out to try and save my photo etc.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,205
    Nothing like knowing what you're doing....

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Can you take the hard drive out, access it from another pc, save / back up your data - then do a clean install of xp - or ask someone to do it for you...

9. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ....and I never fail to forget that advice, even after the many disasters!

Lisa, yes, I will do that (not personally), I am going to drop it off at a shop in the near future. Lesson learned me thinks :lesson: