1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tricky plasma choice, LG RP42PX11H or Pioneer MVE1?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Richard_321, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Richard_321

Richard_321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I live in Mexico and am about to buy a 42" plasma.

The problem is I want to bring it back to the UK in the next couple of years, so it needs to be 110v-240v compliant. This has reduced an already small selection down to only a handful of options. (And sadly, they are a bit too big to smuggle through customs...)

My choice at the moment is between an LG RP 42 PX11H, and the Pioneer MVE1. But I am struggling to decide, so I think I need some informed opinions.

My current thinking goes like this:
    PQ - cant really tell the difference. With identical feeds, the LG looked a little sharper and the colours more vivid, but the Pioneer seemed more natural. Both were a little disappointing with scenes that had violent movement. The shop assistants were adamant that the Pioneer was better, but I think they were prejudiced against the Korean make to be honest. But having read posts here, frankly, I don't trust my own judgement, as it seems that pq depends on how you set up your screen. Is there really nothing between them?

Connectivity - both seem pretty OK. Particularly, I think both will accept a Sky HD input (which will be out by the time I return). But will they both run with Sky HD? I read references to future proofing and I get concerned.

Price. LG is 700 USD less. But if I am advised that the pioneer is truly superior either in pq and or flexibility/future-proofing then price will be a secondary issue.

Model numbers. I'm a bit confused. The LG is a RP-PX11H, whereas in the UK the same model seems to be RZ-PX11. I don't think there is any difference, but does anyone know for sure? The Pioneer is by common consensus a rebadged NEC VM5, but the blurb makes reference to Pioneer proprietary technology ("encased cell structure"?). Have they improved on an already good plasma?

I daresay I might be happy with either screen, but living out here without access to other points of view, I feel I am taking quite an expensive gamble. So any thoughts that might give comfort to a nervous expat, before he parts with his hard earned cash, will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard

2. didier

didier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i live in Mexico too.
    I found rp-42px11h at 30000 pesos.
    does this item ready for HD ?

Thank you