AnotherLondoner

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've got a tricky cabling question,

I've got :

2 devices to use as inputs :

- nVidia Shield TV Pro (2019) with
- audio specs : Dolby Audio (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos) and DTS:X
- video specs : 4K HDR Ready, with Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10, NO HLG support

- PC (Intel NUC NUC7i5BNK), with HDMI output (2018)

2 devices to use as outputs :

- TV Panasonic Viera TX-L42E6B with HDMI ARC (2013), with crap internal speakers, ARC support

- projector ViewSonic PX748-4K (2020), NO ARC support, with HDR support, and HLG support (Hybrid Log Gamma)

Soundbar to link it all :
- HT-A7000 (2021) with support of Dolby Atmos, DTS:X

The soundbar has :
  • two HDMI 2.1 passthrough inputs capable of 4K, and Dolby Vision HDR
  • one HDMI eARC/ARC

So cabling-wise, I can connect the PC and the Shield to the two soundbar inputs,
but I've got only one HDMI output port for the TV+projector.

I would like to use the soundbar as sound output for these 5 use cases :
  • TV itself (DVB)
  • PC, with image on TV
  • Shield, with image on TV
  • PC, with image on projector
  • Shield, with image on projector

Questions :
  • Should I use an HDMI splitter, to duplicate the signal to the TV+projector ?
  • If yes, should I just leave off the TV when using the projector, and the other way around ?
  • can the HDMI splitter detect if the TV/projector is on/off ?
  • would an HDMI splitter keep the same quality/specs for sound/video, for 4k/HDR10/Dolby, or would it be degraded ?
  • will I lose potential ARC features with an HDMI splitter ?

Thanks ❤

A 1x2 HDMI Distribution Amp (splitter) on the Output side of the Soundbar would cover your requirements if you use an Optical cable between the TV and to Soundbar for ‘TV’ audio.

The ‘Splitter’ will need to support 4K UHD with HDR and should be externally powered.

HDMI Cable length is also critical on the run to the Projector.

If you try to view one or other of the external Sources on the TV and Projector simultaneously the capabilities of the TV will determine the format the Source Outputs - so HDR will only be possible when you are only viewing on the Projector.

If you want to view simultaneously on the two Display devices and retain HDR to the Projector you will need a rethink and spend a lot more cash (c£370) on a suitable device which can split the signal and down convert HDR to SDR on one Output.

Joe

Thank you Joe for the quick reply !
I've got a spare optical cable so I could use this for the sound from the TV DVB itself, good point.
I won't need to display on the projector / TV at the same time, so it's a simpler use case.

I'm already using the projector with a 10m HDMI cable and it's working fine, is that an issue, you're saying that the length is critical ?
I've checked Amazon UK and it seems that most 1x2 splitters don't need an external power ?
Could the splitter cause issues with HCDP, for example with the Netflix app on the Shield ?

I see for example :
Amazon product ASIN B08R868KSZAmazon product ASIN B07SR1S2JL(not sure if the 2 amazon links above are visible ?)

10m is beyond the recommended length for 4K UHD - it may still work once you introduce the Distribution Amp or it may not, you will need to try it out.

HDMI devices which ‘steal’ power from the HDMI signal bus rely on the capabilities of the Source device to deliver the required voltage - I would always avoid them and use a design which is externally powered.

Any ‘HDMI’ device should be HDCP compliant - what you require is a device which is HDCP2.2 compliant and will pass 4K UHD with HDR, Atmos etc

Joe

Thank you, I'll buy this one which is externally powered :
<<HDMI Splitter 1x2 4K 60Hz 1080P 120Hz 4:4:4 HDR D-o-l-b-y Vision Atmos Scaler 4K 1080P,Firmware Upgrade HDMI 2.0 Splitter 1 in2 out HDCP2.2 PS5 Scaler EDID Switch,USB Power,ESD,Mini Case SP12H2>>
Amazon product ASIN B083JVPXDY
It says HDMI 2.0, not 2.0b, is it an issue ?
I guess I won't be able to use Hybrid Log Gamma on my projector, but as my Shield doesn't support it it's probably not something I should worry about ?

I'm currently using this 10m cable bought in 2017 :
<< CSL - 10m 4K UHD HDMI 2.0 b Cable - 60Hz 2160p 4x4x4 Ultra HD - High Speed Ethernet Lead - ARC CEC Deep Color - HDCP compliant - 3D Ready - for Blu Ray Playstation 5 PS4 Pro Xbox One Series X >>
Amazon product ASIN B00KA6O5BEIt says HDMI 2.0b.

I'm using this cable for my projector without obvious degratation at the moment.
I don't know what degradations would look like, but if I've got obvious degratations I see that you're selling a long one on : HDFury Fiber HDMI cable - The Media Factory

If a cable is not working for you it will result in no image, flashing image, Sparkes or very obvious colour cast.

Try the 10m cable in conjunction with the HDMI 1x2 unit and see how you get on.

The HDFury Fibre cables have been very reliable.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom