Trichord Clock mods for FREE

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trichord Clock mods

Well much has been said about SPDIF / DACs in recent weeks. It seems to me that many people are under the mistaken belief that if all the 00010101 are correct then everything will be hunky dory. Well in order to enlighten at least a few more people here I am prepared to give away one, possibly two Trichord clock 2 circuits with fitting instructions. They are for players with Philips 7220 digital filters (11.289 MHz). This will include many players from 1990 to 1997 era based on Philips technology. IT IS NOT SUITABLE FOR ALL PLAYERS.

Suitable players include:

Arcam Alpha
Arcam Alpha 5
Arcam 70.2
Arcam 170 and 170.3
Arcam Delta 70
Arcam Delta 270
Marantz CD10
Marantz CD52 / SE
Marantz CD72 / SE
Micromega Leader
Mission PCM 7000
QUAD 66 / 67
Rotel 965 BX / Discrete

or any other Philips SAA 7220 equipped player.

The circuit is simple to fit (three wires) and will need a couple of components removing (which are replaced by ones the new circuit board). Most competent DIYers will have NO problem but I cannot accept any responsibility if you cock it up.

The circuits are left over from my thick end of 15 years ‘playing with jitter’. They can be improved with the Trichord dedicated power supply, the replacement Clock3 or the Digital Interface Board but the Clock 2 will amaze everyone with it’s ability. I have literally fitted dozens to friends players. I cannot recommend these highly enough.

I have one, possibly two to give away, if you can convince me you can fit them and you are worthy. Any takers? All I ask is you post you results here in the forum.

I have a Pioneer PD-9700 and I always wondered if the player would improve some with this mod. I love the Pioneer on classical replay but the possibility of even better reproduction is a bit exciting (!).

I'm off now to see if it'll accept one of these, in which case I would certainly be happy to recieve one.

Mike.

EDIT: Aw shucks, mine's a 16Mhz machine, think it was the original trichord mod which applied :(

I've got an Arcam Alpha CD, and would love a an extra bit for it if it worked properly in the first place. Sadly it's a 2nd from work and the lasers shot, over used.:D

I'm pretty sure I could do the mod mind.:)

I thought there would be more interest here, perhaps I should start charging :D

Richard

PM me your details if you want to have a go.

My Alpha CD is sitting in my bedroom at the moment, quite a distance away. I should be able to get it at Crimble though.

I'd be interested in fitting one to my Rotel 965 if one is still available ?

PM me your address and I will post one off.

Richard

I will keep the other for you, let me know when / if you need it.

Mark

I think the 17 needs a different freq but a quick email to tricord would solve that one. I suspect it would work, very well.

Hi Beekeeper
Mark

I think the 17 needs a different freq but a quick email to tricord would solve that one. I suspect it would work, very well.
Trichord Website states Marantz CD17 Mk I as 16.9344MHz.

I take it this means your kind offer won't work with this model?

Many thanks,

Mark.

chill out I 've been away and I had to get instructions copied for you. Will be dispatched tomorrow.

Nothing received yet , if you haven't sent it out then give it to someone else . Lost interest in the mod now.
Thanks for the offer anyway.

Maybe caught up in the Xmas post , I'll give it a try when it arrives & report any improvements . Seen a few reviews on it & it seems to be a worthwhile improvement .
Any ideas on what Rotel did to the standard 965BX to make the cd player a " Discrete " version ? A clock change maybe ?
Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom