• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Triax Multiswitch and Sky RF out for IR control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

norfbech

Bit of an extension of another thread I've posted, but perhaps needs a dedicated thread.

I've had a Triax 5 in 12 out multiswitch amp installed a couple of weeks back.

This one:

TMP5x12-triax-12-way-multiswitch.jpg

This is fed from a quattro LNB via Satellite dish. I've dropped two coax (WF100) cables per triplex faceplate in six rooms (these will be utilised over time as slowly build the system up) and a third coax running loose behind the proposed TV locations for IR control.

The installer manager mentioned there might be an issue with IR control (magic eye coax types) when used in conjunction with a multiswitch, although the engineer felt it would be the right thing to do. I've read a few discussions online which suggests there would be issues doing it this way (to do with power?) but I can't be sure. Although the third return coax isn't directly connected to the multiswitch, it would be somehow linked via association with the sky box (or other unit with RF out).

There are other methods available (powermid, HD cable linked ones as sold by HDanywhere on here), but for the time being I was hoping I could use the magic eye variants. This is really only for IR remote control (the sky box would be in the hub in the loft).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (I've dropped my installer an email, but he hasn't as yet got back to me).

Many thanks.

logiciel

The switch is for sending a multiplex of the satellite and terrestrial signals to separate rooms where it's deplexed at the wallplates to provide sockets for separate satellite receivers and FV TVs, rather than for use with one Sky machine.

Last edited:

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
You can distribute the Sky boxes RF output via the multiswitch and you'll then be watching in glourious SD resolution with full bodied mono sound. :D

You have been discussing far better methods in your other post...

logiciel

All agreed, except he's referring here to one Sky PVR in the loft, not to multiple "sky boxes".
The question is how to use multiple "magic eyes" to control that one machine.

norfbech

You can distribute the Sky boxes RF output via the multiswitch and you'll then be watching in glourious SD resolution with full bodied mono sound.

You have been discussing far better methods in your other post...

Yes - sorry if I wan't clear. I just want to control one Sky box (or perhaps in the future another type of box with RF out) which resides in the loft via remote control downstairs and not send the same Sky signal to other rooms.

The magic eye is the only option I can currently afford to undertake (finances are extraordinarily strained as you can imagine when refurbing the whole house) - there's a fair few out there for £3-£4. From feedback it seems they are a good solution, but the fly in the ointment might be the multiswitch (even though I won't be directly taking a feed from there - just RF out to the third coax cable and then magic eye into TV set).
I can't seem to source why it might be an issue, but there might be a bit of conflict with voltages...I'm stumped!

norfbech

All agreed, except he's referring here to one Sky PVR in the loft, not to multiple "sky boxes".
The question is how to use multiple "magic eyes" to control that one machine.

Hi Logiciel - at the moment I just want to control one Sky+ HD box (the one I've just picked up second hand) in another room, rather than multiple magic eyes. From the other thread, an idea was put forward to have a central PVR fed by various satellite boxes (we'll stick with Sky boxes for the time being) to keep recordings from all over the various boxes (which could in fact be in the same hub). That's something for me to look at in the future, this is really a query on the 'doability' of coax magic eyes working within a multiswitch environment. I may be overthinking all this, but I'm sure there' been a bit of debate about this on these boards (can't currently find the old thread).

Cheers.

logiciel

In the scenario of one Sky machine and one extension TV the multiswitch isn't involved at all.
A co-ax cable is connected to the RF2 out socket of the Sky machine and takes the currently selected channel to the other room where it's connected first to the "magic eye" and then by a short further length of co-ax to the TV's Aerial In socket, so that the channel is received there by the analogue tuner and the remote control is sent back to the Sky machine through the "magic eye".

That system could be extended to other rooms, again without the multiswitch being involved.
RF2 Output would have to go through a separate distributor of a type that allows IR to pass back through it.
You'd then be using the third co-ax cables that you already have in place.
PVRs record from their own tuners and can't be used to keep recordings from other machines.

Last edited:

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Real 'Magic Eyes' are only compatible with Sky boxes. After reading your OP again it seems you have a spare cable to each room so you can distribute the RF output of the Sky box through that and bypass the multiswitch.

Last edited:

norfbech

Aye - it looked ok to me as I wasn't directly going from/through/out of the multiswitch, merely straight from the RF out on the Sky box, down the third coax then into the magic eye...but the installer had a little doubt about it working in a scenario with a multi switch (even though it isn't directly connected - hence my confusion).

Actually, this is a post on a similar subject from these boards, but perhaps (as I don't have that direct link to the multiswitch) it's not relevant for me. Probably just flapping. I'll order one and see what happens :)

http://www.avforums.com/forums/satellite-tv/1466558-there-multiswitch-ir-passthrough.html

kevbuk - I did intend to do that all along, but that slither of doubt grew wings and made me think as the Sky box will be connected to the multiswitch, any outputs might have issues (voltage/interference/magic monkey juice...dunno!).

Thanks folks...I'll order a magic eye and give it a whirl.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
That thread you linked to answered your question and your installer needs sacking. :D

It is only an issue if you connect the RF output to the RF in of the multiswitch and use it to distribute the signal to all rooms. The fact you have spare cable to each room means you do not have to do this.

logiciel

He was assuming that you wanted the "magic eyes" to be connected to cables that originated in the multiswitch, which could cause potential problems, so he was right to raise doubts.
You don't want that, the switch is not involved at all, so there are no problems about it.

Last edited:

logiciel

Last edited:

MartinPickering

I've dropped two coax (WF100) cables per triplex faceplate

A Triplex faceplate carries power to the LNB. The RF socket is decoupled (carries no DC) so it's debatable whether the RF socket will pass the "magic eye" frequency (7MHz I think) but probably not.

MartinPickering

Well spotted, Kevin the Buk. :)

When a prospective customer sends me wiring questions, I almost always request their wiring sketch. It's SO much easier to understand than a wordy description! I strongly recommend anyone planning to run wiring should draw a sketch on a large piece of paper and label it with lengths, order codes, signal direction and any other useful information. It reduces mistakes, makes purchasing the correct parts more likely and, in a year's time when something goes wrong, you are not relying on memory!

When I rewired my house I took photos of the cable runs, before plastering - then promptly mislaid them! They would have been sooo useful three years later when my wife started to hang pictures everywhere!

norfbech

He was assuming that you wanted the "magic eyes" to be connected to cables that originated in the multiswitch, which could cause potential problems, so he was right to raise doubts.
You don't want that, the switch is not involved at all, so there are no problems about it.

Ooh...I didn't want to cast any dispersions whatsoever! He helped design the layout with me (based on what I would ultimately end up with). He also mentioned the third drop of Coax for RF out return...hence why I was scratching my head a little when he thought there might be an issue when using the multiswitch. I could only put it down to the Sky box being linked to the multiswitch affecting (by some seemingly arbitrary manner!) the RF out.
I honestly think he'd forgotten about the third drop of coax and how I was planning to use IR. Really impressed with both him and the engineer. I may have paid a little more for the kit, but the advice given was invaluable and a thoroughly professional job. I made sure I put that in writing for his online reviews.

Anyhow - you folks have totally put that to bed for me now :)

I'll carry on as I were (as they say).

Many thanks.

norfbech

Well spotted, Kevin the Buk. :)

When a prospective customer sends me wiring questions, I almost always request their wiring sketch. It's SO much easier to understand than a wordy description! I strongly recommend anyone planning to run wiring should draw a sketch on a large piece of paper and label it with lengths, order codes, signal direction and any other useful information. It reduces mistakes, makes purchasing the correct parts more likely and, in a year's time when something goes wrong, you are not relying on memory!

When I rewired my house I took photos of the cable runs, before plastering - then promptly mislaid them! They would have been sooo useful three years later when my wife started to hang pictures everywhere!

Good idea re the photo's. My lighting network downstairs is pure spaghetti (using a grid system) so I'm taking pics as I go along and when fully complete, I'll map it out, laminate it and place it next to the CU. Every run of cable where it terminates, I've labelled with Dymo (you can imagine the state of the hub where six rooms with approx four each runs of coax and CAT6 cable terminate!). Actually, I labelled up all that coax a couple of weeks back only to find the next day the tape wasn't quite as sticky as I'd like and was starting to peel off :eek: . I then had to go back in and sellotape over the labels...thankfully, none had quite falled off by that stage.

Thanks Martin.

I'll let you folks know how I get on with the IR - ordered one yesterday, and although I'm a while off setting the second TV up in the adjacent room, I'll temporarily test both the sky box and the magic eye.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom