Triangle (2009)

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it, I was expecting a rubbish slasher/horror film but was pleasantly surprised. As someone has previously mentioned the tone is very similar to Timecrimes (another great film that I randomly saw late at night a few months ago).

It was shown at Syfy(HD), they have recently been showing a lot of "newer" films recently, last week was pandorum.

Triangle will be repeated again several times over the next few days if anyone is interested.

terrible film. I'm just glad I didn't pay to watch it.

Great film, enjoyed it a LOT. It deserves far more recognition.

don't get me wrong, I had heard positive things which is why i rented it but melissa george was awful, the other characters were annoying and the ending was pretty lame. Found myself getting bored by the time they ended up on the ship the 2nd time.

Ah well, each to his/her own. As always. :)

I think you mean maritime......

Hoho! ;)

Personally, I LIKE Marmite. :D

You've confused me now, is it Marmite or Maritime?

I always presumed it to be Marmite.

vegemite

In relation to film though, there was one bit that confused me.....
at one point jess looks down on her other self fighting off her sack headed swlf.....meaning three of her on board......i thought there would be only 2? Did i miss something? Or did i blink and it was someone else?

Last edited:
You've confused me now, is it Marmite or Maritime?

I always presumed it to be Marmite.

Depends what you want on your bread :D

Maritime - is a term that describes objects or activities related to the sea.

I just watched this movie on Blu-ray at the weekend. While my guesses and my reading of other peoples interpretations about the story match up with most of what's written here, there is a theory (not mine sadly, it came from a guy on IMDB) about how it all begins that I thought I'd float by you guys.

OK, bear with me I'll try to explain as best I can.....

The theory goes that the start is not a car crash but that Jess first dies on the boat in the storm, this is before the events of the movie and we don't see it happen, though we see some of the build-up to it towards the end of the film.

As the Jess who escapes the ship (in the t-shirt) sees the Jess at home (in the sundress) she is getting more and more stressed and angry with her son because he's making her late for her trip on the boat, a day of fun and freedom that she so badly craves. The theory is that she finally lost it at this point and killed her son. This is why she originally ends up in the wife-beater and the daisy-dukes rather than the flowery dress as she had to change because she got blood on the dress. Indeed maybe the boy was the first inhabitant of the black hold-all that later houses Sundress Jess. So at this point she's pretty traumatised but still has in her mind to go to the boat as it's all she's been focused on. So she turns up and things go pretty much as per the events witnessed in the movie up to the point of the storm.

The next part of the thoery is that the storm really occurs and all on the boat are drowned, other than Heather. Jess, Greg and Victor are up top with no life jackets and Sally, Downey and Heather are below with their life jackets on. Heather is sucked out the window however, leaving the other two trapped in the boat to drown. (As she survived, this potentially explains why she didn't re-appear at any point in our story.)

Now that Jess is dead, and with the guilt of her son's murder on her conscience, she enters her own little pergatory with all the nightmarish looping that you've covered up 'til now.

This theory also explains why she's so desperate to get back to her son once she-realises how the loop works. It's not just to spend time with him but to save him from herself. However, this being purgatory it will never let her save him or herself and this is where the car crash comes in.

As someone mentioned also, perhaps in this thread, the taxi driver seems to know what's going on and is waiting for her to accept that she can't change what she's done and to carry on her journey to whatever finally awaits her, instead of getting out at the marina and giving it all another go.

I'm sure there are huge holes in this theory but the essence of it seemed like a good possibility to me in order to explain how it all might have begun.

Cheers.

I think there are numerous ways of interpreting the film and that is the beauty of it......think too hard though and I think you will probably make your head hurt.....nice theory, not sure I agree with it all, but that's the point I think.....interesting take on Heather though.....did wonder what happened to her......did she 'survive' or was she simply padding at the start of the film, to be gotten rid of at the earliest opportunity for a bit of drama....?

The whole film has plot holes in it, but, as I said, think too hard and you can find problems with just about any film......my post a few above about
the three jess's
is the one that bugs me the most though......

i watched this earlier on syfyHD

wow what a film.:smashin:

so refreshing to see something different.

reminded me a bit of memento/machinist/inception/groundhog day/shining, all roled into one.

may have to get the blu-ray to give it another viewing.

chris smith is becoming an excellent film maker......a new christopher nolan in the making maybe?

I think there are numerous ways of interpreting the film and that is the beauty of it......think too hard though and I think you will probably make your head hurt.....nice theory, not sure I agree with it all, but that's the point I think.....interesting take on Heather though.....did wonder what happened to her......did she 'survive' or was she simply padding at the start of the film, to be gotten rid of at the earliest opportunity for a bit of drama....?

The whole film has plot holes in it, but, as I said, think too hard and you can find problems with just about any film......my post a few above about
the three jess's
is the one that bugs me the most though......
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I agree, it's a good film and trying to work out all the interpretations is part of the joy. (I'm fairly sure Heather is padding, whatever interpretation you use).

It's been a few months since I watched it so my memory is a bit hazy, but my viewpoint was
you are right that there are three instances of Jess's at any one time - hence the name Triangle. However there are only two versions of Jess, one of these versions is there twice while the other version is only there once.

Assume the Jess we are following in the film is JessA.
1. JessC is already on the ship (still there from a previous loop).
2. JessA arrives on the ship, has all the nasty experiences including being chased by JessC.
3. A new JessB arrives. By this point JessA realises to some extent what is happening and tries to change how things unfold, she threatens JessB early on with a gun. JessB runs off and becomes a different version to JessC/JessA.
4. JessA eventually realises her attempts to change things are futile and follows the path of JessC instead.
5. JessA has now become JessC and is already on the ship.
6. The whole thing repeats itself as first a new JessA and then a new JessB arrive.

The whole thing is a big cycle with no beginning and no end. Although if you prefer you can imagine there was originally a JessC who went insane on the ship and killed crewC and started the whole cycle when more instances of the crew start to arrive.

So there are two alternating versions of Jess - firstly there is JessC/JessA and then there is JessB.
Hope that makes sense, now I wait for you to point out flaws in my description!

I saw a Spanish movie tonight that explores the same idea.

Timecrimes (2007) - IMDb

I think it's worth seeing although I found Triangle a better movie.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom