1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tremors - Region 2 DVD!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by PoochJD, Jan 22, 2001.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    ****e!

That's about the best way to describe todays release of "Tremors" on Region 2 DVD, after a three month delay!!

Columbia Tri-Star Home Video have given UK DVD owners some of the best DVD's ever (Jaws, El Mariachi/Desperado 2-on-1, The Thing), but this disc is a real disappointment.

The picture quality is bad, although not the worst I've seen on a DVD. Unfortunately, the detail seems to be lost, especially in background and surface textures. As the film is set in a small town near a desert, this makes things a little bit iffy, to say the least, picture wise, as you loose a lot of information.

The sound is only Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, and the ratio is about 1.85:1. The extras incorrectly list an extra trailer (for Tremors 2) but I'll be damned if I can find it anywhere on the disc.

However, the one saving grace, apart from the movie itself - which is totally ace, and a hilarious spoof of all those B-movies! - is the excellent hour-long "Making Of" documentary, that includes the original ending that has never been seen before in the UK until now!

Such a shame that a great film like this, is once again, released on a not-that-great R2 disc, by a company who can and normally does, do better!

Region 1 gets a stunningly clear print, with DD 5.1 Surround sound, all the extras above, plus outtakes, more trailers, and other stuff not on the R2 disc!

To all you R2 companies, I say this: "Stuff you!" If this is how they want to get more people to buy R2 DVD's, then it's definitely a case of "must try harder". PLus, it has the title of "Collector's Edition" on the main Menu Screen! Not muchy of a Collector's Edition, in my opinion. I'm off to go online and buy a copy from my normal Region 1 importer instead.

What a waste of my time, in waiting for this release!

Pooch

P.S. Columbia Tri-Star :- please STOP using those crummy icons to explain what different items on the disc are! Apart from pointless, they are unhelpful and very distracting!

2. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Don't get too carried away mate, while the R1 release may be superior (I have it but have not seen the R2 release), it also only features Dolby 2.0 sound.

If the R2 release is as poor as you say though, then I agree, go get the R1 version, I've finally reviewed it for my site and it's quality. [​IMG]

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

3. Mikeonfreeserve

Mikeonfreeserve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read somewhere ( Amazon?? ) that Tremors is available on a double feature DVD but I can't for the life of me remember what it's coupled with. Looks like a trip to refund city may be in order?

4. Mikeonfreeserve

Mikeonfreeserve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was Amazon and the other feature is The Mummy.