Treating your plasma just like a normal CRT tele!?

M

Majid Khan

Okay guys, its might seem like a daft question to ask - but any plasma owners out there willing to confess that they treat their plasma tv just like an old fashioned CRT tele ?

As you might have guessed, I'm hinting at at the prospect of screen burn/image retention --- has this forced anyone into changing their viewing habbits when watching their day to day television on a plasma? ?

Ie, where as in the past you might not have thought about how long a certain channel (like Cbeebies) was being watched for on your tele, now with a plasma i'm assuming you have to be cautious about how long it is on screen , because of the burn-in risk with the logo or perhaps even avoiding certain channels altogether due to their on screen logos/graphics (static images). Similarly, on your old CRT television.. you would never have had any hesitation in watching 4:3 content in that format, now you stretch it to fit (even if it looks awful) just to be on the safe side, or when watching DVDs you find yourself zooming in to get rid of the black bars..

I do realise that its important to look after your plasma TV to protect it from such issues, but ... i'm just curious how many people on here can honestly say they've just been able to treat their plasma in the same way they used to treat their old CRT tele -- and have never had any major issues with retention/burn ??

Its also interesting , because lets face it the average Joe out there who's looking for a plasma TV ... will just assume that its the same old tele - just bigger and flatter :) and the odds are he'll treat his plasma in the same way as he always has, perhaps not even being aware of burn-in (or as Piers put it in another thread , "he wouldn't even notice it". :) ).

I use mine like an ordinary CRT.

Never change the aspect ratio if the programme being broadcast is in 4:3, don't avoid any channels including the kids channels and have played on my XBOX for hours on end. 2 years on, there is no sign whatsoever of screen burn.

John

Me too. I did worry about CBeebies to start with (this probably gets at least 5 hours a day on the TV), but I've never had a problem with retention so don't worry about it any more.

Mine is 4 weeks old now and I am getting less and less conscious of treating it with kid gloves. It's a bit like getting new cars. Every three years I get rid of the old one, get a new one and for about a month think "this is the nuts, I'm going to clean it/polish it" etc. After that, it's just another car. Sad really, but we live in a disposable world. If the worst comes to the worst and I get screen burn after the first year, I'd probably just relegate it to another room and get a better one!

I've had my PE50 for six months now and (touch wood) have never had any problems with screen burn/image retention.

I don't treat it any differently from my previous CRT and certainly don't use the horrible "zoom" modes, I watch loads of 2.35:1 movies without a worry.

However, I do not have SKY/Freeview, so channel logos are not an issue for me.

MrNPG said:
However, I do not have SKY/Freeview, so channel logos are not an issue for me.

Do you not watch TV at all then?

Yes, but I only have four channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and CH4) and as they don't use logos very often, it's not a concern for me.

Heh, forgot about analogue terrestrial :)

I have been using Panorama for 4:3 programmes, something I never did with my old CRT. I hate using it, but thought it was best to. That said, 4:3 displays with grey borders which supposedly reduce the risk of retention, and if you think about it, most DVD's have black borders at the top and bottom which should be worse for the screen, but I've never had any problems after watching a DVD...

methinks I'll be resetting the default aspect to 4:3 and watch things in proportion again...

I was treating mine a bit preciously to start with, but the other day I paused live tv for a good 15 minutes and -gasp- it was absolutely fine when I unpaused.

I think it is easy to get carried away with the screen burn issues, but it does seem to be something that is exagerrated, I'm sure it can happen, but I reckon you'd have to go some to do it.

The only time I've seen it was when the wife left a fecking Dawson's Creek DVD sat in 4:3 on a bright white menu for 20 mins....*slap*

Half an hour of white-screening and 2 months later and all is well :)

as you know, ours is treated very harshly, teletext all day sometimes, sky sports gillette soccer saturday all day etc, and never a hint.

Treat my Hitachi 7200 just like the old telly, except I don't use Mr. Sheen for polishing the screen now :eek:

The only thing I'm concerned about is the radio stations on Sky/Freeview as they have a static image, I prefer to listen to the digital stuff 'cos radio reception is terrible in my area. If we're having a barbie the images can be on there for hours!

Anybody know if you can turn the screen off but keep the audio on :lease:

get a scart lead with audio L+R and composite at the other end, just plug the audio ones in to the output of sky and use that scart for radio. who uses the composite scart sockets anyway?

I had image retnetion in mine, so now it is not used for every day use. But the main reason I avoid it for every day use is power consumption. My plasma uses just under 4 times as much juice as my old set. I know some people think that with the settings down it uses the same as a CRT, but having clocked the meter when it is running, I can't agree. My electricity bill doubled in the spring, and I was given a £250 excess to clear, and guess what, they just doubled it again. Sigh. Time for radical action.

chedmaster said:
get a scart lead with audio L+R and composite at the other end, just plug the audio ones in to the output of sky and use that scart for radio. who uses the composite scart sockets anyway?

Cheers chedmaster, think you've just found a use for all those cheapo Scart leads I seem to have accumulated!

Think you've brought me one step closer to a dream of mine....a plug in every socket on the back of my 7200.

talking about power consumption, my 37inch pv500 consumes just as much power as my home PC :rolleyes: ... but they're alot more power efficient than they ever used to be a few years back :eek:

no screen burn, picture is better than ever now approaching 1000hrs. have always had the telly set up as i like it and paid no attention to any screen burn type worries. panny7, best money i've ever spent. not missing the techwood LOL!

Okay folks, thanks so much for your responses here.. it has eased my worries a little bit :)

I've just got my new Panasonic 42PE50 plasma and must say it is superb... and I have turned the settings down to a moderate level (ie, in cinema mode with 50% contrast/brightness/colour etc)... and i have decided that I shall let the family use the plasma just like they would use the old CRT --- from day one.

Am I taking a big risk here ? what do you guys think? i dont know to be honest, but i'd say its a calculated risk given that Panasonic SD plasmas are reputed to be bomb proof when it comes to screen burn... so yeah, i'm just going to pretend that I'm an "average Joe" who's just bought a new plasma and doesn't know a thing about screen burn.. hehe, lets hope it works out okay..

My plasma is treated like a normal telly. If i can't watch a program i want to watch becuase i am worried of harming the plasma, i would never have bought a plasma in the first place. The plasma should be my slave and not master!!

Majid Khan said:
Okay folks, thanks so much for your responses here.. it has eased my worries a little bit :)

I've just got my new Panasonic 42PE50 plasma and must say it is superb... and I have turned the settings down to a moderate level (ie, in cinema mode with 50% contrast/brightness/colour etc)... and i have decided that I shall let the family use the plasma just like they would use the old CRT --- from day one.

Am I taking a big risk here ? what do you guys think? i dont know to be honest, but i'd say its a calculated risk given that Panasonic SD plasmas are reputed to be bomb proof when it comes to screen burn... so yeah, i'm just going to pretend that I'm an "average Joe" who's just bought a new plasma and doesn't know a thing about screen burn.. hehe, lets hope it works out okay..

Wahey! nice one Majid :smashin:
I treat mine like a nomal telly too.
Enjoy matey :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom