• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Treating myself to a new tv

RiZa04

Standard Member
Heya all,

Ive recently just got a new full time job so i was thinking of treating myself since i have just got my first pay check!
Ive been doing a fare bit of research and i cant decide which tv to get. Ive had a look in some shops (still need to look around though) and the best quality screen ive seen is the Samsung c8000.
Basically my budget is around £1300 (ive seen most are priced around this) and all i really want from a new tv is for it to have an amazing picture quality. Im not fussed about 3D, i wont be getting a 3D dvd player so i dont see the point. I will be mainly be watching blue ray dvds on my ps3 and playing games online. Id ideally like a tv 40 inches or over.
Does anyone have any suggestions about what tvs to look at and ones to avoid?
Ive seen that Currys are having some good deals on atm,
SAMSUNG LE40C750 40" Full HD 3D Ready LCD TV + HT-C5900/XEU 5.1Ch 3D Blu-ray Home Cinema System buy online | Currys
PANASONIC TX-P42VT20B 42" Full HD Plasma 3D TV - Black buy online | Currys
SAMSUNG UE40D7000 40" Full HD LED 3D TV buy online | Currys

I know that some of these are 3D but they seem to have the best screen quality so im debating whether to go into 3D or not.
Any advice is much appreciated :) Thanks in advanced!

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Being a plasma man myself, I would definitely recommend the VT20 from Panasonic. Also, you say you won't be buying a 3D player but, provided your PS3 has the latest firmware updates, it's already 3D capable.

Cheers,

Martin.

PlayStation

I'd go with the the Panasonic VT20 as well. It was only last years top of the range 3D TV.
It's still better than the D series Samsung PQ wise.

RiZa04

Standard Member
Thanks for the help so far guys,
Ive had a look and i think that the panasonic is a little bit out of my price range. Plus ive heard some bad things about plasma tvs before so im slightly sceptical about them.
Ive done some more research on the samsung c8000 and quite a lot of people on here seem to have had problems with them :(
So im kinda stuck at the moment of where to go. Ive seen that the Samsung D7000 has some deals on atm but i havent actually seen one yet, can anyone offer anything on this? Or any other sets?
Also, are there any tv's that have the same quality but dont do 3D (hence it would be cheaper that way since im not too worried about 3D).

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Plus ive heard some bad things about plasma tvs before so im slightly sceptical about them.

Well, I'm on my second plasma without problems. My first, a Pioneer 435FDE, is over six years old and now resides in my wife's mother's house and works faultlessly, and my present one is the Panasonic V20 which gives a superb picture - I also would recommend this to you as a non-3D TV. Be aware that generally the only time you hear about any particular TV is when someone has a problem, while all the ones that work away happily you never hear about. However, at the end of the day, you're the one spending the money and therefore the final choice has to 100% yours.

Best of luck. :)

Cheers,

Martin.

PlayStation

Last edited:

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
I agree with the guys, had two plasmas now and would never go LCD.
I actually have a 42" V20 and for the sort of money they go for now ther is no better TV as simple as that.:smashin: Bluray on the V20 is just stunning and gaming is a joy to behold. As said the PS3 can play 3D so VT20 may be worth getting or you could go for the new GT30, fantastic set and should be around your budget if you shop about.

ear you go http://www.richersounds.com/product/3d-tv/panasonic/viera-txp42gt30/pana-txp42gt30 good price that my V20 cost me 1180 last year.

Last edited:

gibster

Standard Member
obviously I'm biased having just bought one, but you could get a Sony 46" hx803 for £999 from M&S at the moment with a 5yr warranty - 3d capable if you need it and a stunning 2d picture.

it was selling for over £2,200 last autumn so a real bargain. we all know Sony can make awesome sets when they feel like it, this is one of those occasions.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom