1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treasure Planet R2 £4.99 with Axelmusic.com

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by swartzy, Aug 25, 2005.

1. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    www.axelmusic.com

if anyone is interested

also have Tarzan and Jane R2 Disney for £4.99

swartzy :)

2. MR ETOME

MR ETOME

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Swartzy :smashin:

3. Sun

Sun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    brilliant, was just about to buy this 2 days ago for more than twice the price.

Cheers!

4. oatmeal

oatmeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Home of the worst postal system in the world.
    Ratings:
    +15
    Be aware that these Disney titles are actually R4 and not R2 as stated on the site.
    They'll be R2 compatible but they are actually the Australian discs and sometimes have different content to British releases.
    So, for example, you won't get a DTS soundtrack on Treasure Planet where as you would if you bought the British disc.
    Bit naughty really.

5. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    The disc content is exactly the same on Treasure Planet R2/R4 as the R2 as I have checked this with dvd compare (except for a DTS soundtrack) which oatmeal rightly points out

But another major factor to consider here is

if you would like to pay say £14.99 on a well known online retailer for the DTS soundtrack then this is fine

but bearing this in mind £4.99 isn't bad for a Dolby Digital soundtrack

6. oatmeal

oatmeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    ...but the point was that they should be up front and clear with their origin of discs. They have it listed as an R2 and it clearly isn't - it's an R4.
    There are times when this works in their favour - Pocahontas 2, for example, is uncut on R4 but is cut on R2 (something to do with headbutts I think). Note, that title is alos on there at £4,99 - another bargain.
    CD Wow have been subject to some similar criticism of late with their Russian R2's not having country of origin made clear.

7. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Axel are far clearer on origin than CD Wow. Each product has a flag indicating the country of origin. They only indicate something as R2 if it is 100% R2 - it may be R4 as well, but it is also R2 (region coding, not content).

8. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Hi oatmeal,
    I see your point but I would have thought the Australian Flag beside the R2 and the Please Note message below that as below was very self explanatory i.e.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A PRODUCT WITH AUSTRALIAN ORIGIN. IF THIS ITEM IS A CONFIRMED REGION 2 PRODUCT WE WILL INDICATE IT AS SUCH, NO MATTER WHAT THE BACK SLEEVE OF THE PRODUCT INDICATES. IF WE HAVE INDICATED IT AS REGION 2 IT WILL PLAY ON ALL EUROPEAN DVD PLAYERS ! READ MORE ABOUT DVD REGIONS AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE.

9. fritte

fritte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let there be NO doubt:

Treasure Planet IS a R2/R4.

I had the Australian version prior to selling it, and I confirm that the disc is Region 2 also. Sold it, bought the Region 2 UK and sold that one too :D .

10. oatmeal

oatmeal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I agree that they aren't perhaps as bad as CD Wow and there is the flag to guide you although that isn't always acurate (see below). The statement re origin is only available if you click through on the product and read the small print which on some discs is at the very bottom of the screen.
    Additional R2 encoding is part of a disc's content and should not be used as it's main descriptive. I see Swartzy and Conn both have trader ratings on here, so here's a question. Do you list your Australian discs as R4 or R2? I suspect I know the answer so, if you can have the integrity to do that as a privateer on a forum like this why can't a commercial e-tailer?
    Oh, and don't be completely fooled by their flags either. If you read the small print re the American and Canadian flags they make it clear that an American flag does not actually necessarily mean it is the US version! It simply means there is no French on the cover. That produces issues when English cover Canadian and USA releases are different in content as you'll have no immediate indication as to which disc you are getting!
    Finally, if they think region coding is more important than defining a disc by it's country of origin, why is it they mark up R0 releases with erroneous region coding - Criterion Robocop for example is shown as R1 when it clearly isn't.
    As I said before, each purchase is worthy of scrutiny and research as it isn't as clear as some other retailers.

Not a big issue but worth flagging as there are some discs people will want on there.
    Check out also the R4 (duel R2 encoded :) ) Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame at £4,99. Seems you can build up your Disney collection kinda cheap at the moment.

11. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Hi oatmeal,
    I can see your point but a £4.99 compared to £14.99 for the value of DTS v Dolby Digital this will be considered a good buy especially when you can play it on R2 dvd players regardless if it is Australian or not....as to the site being unclear I think I can forgive them for that(others may not)considering they are not charging me £10 more for the dvd just because it has a DTS soundtrack...

thanks
    swartzy

12. Ufotone

Ufotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Cheers OP :smashin:

Tony :)